Perils of being a dev (A cautionary tale)

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
In MA headquarters everything is going great. They seem to be making more than they had anticipated so management take the decision to hire a new dev to help out and speed up development tasks.

It's a lovely Monday morning the sun is shining and birds a singing lovely tunes.

New dev arrives to work and is assigned a desk. Dev notices there is a pile of tasks to do. Dev examines first one. It appears to be a suggestion from Planet Calypso Forum forwarded by Ludvig (Yes they forward our suggestions to devs). On examining closer it's a suggestion for a new tagger weapon with extremely generous eco i.e. very low decay, very low ammo cost and a very high reload speed. Furthermore has a very high range with zero damage interval. That is a damage interval of zero to zero. The person suggesting makes a case that since it does no damage it should have a low cost to use and that no damage is a worth the price since it's only going to be used to tag a mob. The high relaod speed would make it even more useful as a tagger as you can quickly change to main weapon.

New dev thinks about it and is convinced this is a good suggestion and wonders why no one thought of that before. Dev thinks shouldn't take too long to develop as an existing weapon can be copied and stats changed. What could possibly go wrong? So the weapon is developed without much effort. Dev thinks that's easy this jobs a piece of cake and moves onto next task.

A few weeks later a task for our new dev arrives from support marked extremely urgent (Yes, support forward tasks to actual people!). Dev looks at support case, it reads:

Hi,
Firstly thanks for making this amazing weapon. I read about it on pcf and people mention it's the most eco weapon to use ever. It doesn't cost too much in terms of mark up either. So thanks, I feel this game is heading in the right direction, you are making weapons more affordable.

However, I'm very disappointed that it takes so long to kill a mob. I have been killing a regular daikiba for nearly seven days now and it's HP is hardly dented. Before you accuse me of botting no I don't bot I have friends and family we take turns. This daiki better HOF or I'm going to sue your asses! It's costing me a fortune to run this gun day and night. Seems to be very slow in killing the mob. I've been playing the game for nearly 15 years and almost level 70 I know how the game works. You guys are total thieves! have always been thieves and I can't believe how greedy you are.

You can do better...

Lovely story there. Maybe it's the power of love, at least I know of one new zero to zero item out there, but it says it is only good and not much L on it. Is that what you mean, or something different?

at least I know of one new zero to zero item out there, but it says it is only good and not much L on it. Is that what you mean, or something different?

I'm not sure what you mean?

I was thinking of a weapon that has a damage interval 0 to 0. Hence doesn't do any damage at all. Do you mean there is already at least one item like that in game? if so could you link it please?

index.php

What is the actual point of this?

Seems silly as a tagger at 1m range. Could just stand there and wait for aggro or use sweat tool.

Just a dev dad joke?

Could you use this in team to some benefit? I keep tingling the critters b@lls with this flower and then someone actually shoots it. Any loot improvement to be had from that?

This seems so stupid is actually funny again.

Seems silly as a tagger at 1m range.

The tagger I described in the first post is conceived to have a high range.

Someone mentioned there are weapons in game with zero damage interval and attached a pic. Clearly the Cyrene Holiday Flower is not meant to be a tagger and no one said this is to be used as a tagger. I wouldn't know what the point of the Cyrene Holiday Flower is, maybe just to have some fun?

I wasn't in game, so was pretty unsure, but I knew the flower was 0 to 0, which is why I cautiously mentioned the love element.
But no, range 1 m is not exactly tagger material :p. Thanks for O2 showing what I meant.
Does it decay if you try and use it? Does it wilt? It seems untradeable, so I've kept mine unused. Maybe just coincidentally a bit of fun, yes.

Curiously, I found this item rather funny.

Indeed, that's its sole purpose, to be curiously funny.
And I think that's good, because this game is sorely lacking in humor at times..

Real serious people don't take themselves too seriously.. 🧐

I don't have it myself but from what I've heard yes it decays, in fact it only has 2 uses at full TT.

So 100% efficiency and 0 damage/pec, I guess :laugh:

I don't have it myself but from what I've heard yes it decays, in fact it only has 2 uses at full TT.

So 100% efficiency and 0 damage/pec, I guess :laugh:
Wait till you see the overamped performance.

So what happens if you repair this like 1k times before each kill. Do we expect long term good tt returns?

Amazing how I can sometimes 'overlook' things - I thought it was (L). Oh, good grief .... 'abusing' flowers??!!
You know there's been a fruit test for so many years now, and this has created an ultimate flower test for loot qualities potentially.
How long will the flower last before it is made to wilt?

It's a french tickler in disguise...

Maybe just a flower, set in the whip category to allow some animation ?

Confirmed - the mission is easy. I've used the flower and it decays approx. 2 pecs per mob sniff (not fruit tested), so gives 2 uses before it must be repaired back up to 5 pecs. It is obviously a slow process if you want to use it, but if completely bored, we might be able to call it a bit of fun, yes!

Back