Permanant fixed fee for flying?

xWandererx

Stalker
Society
Natural Born Killers
Jason Wanderer Longbow
I put forward this idea on the back of an Interview MS9 did with David Post of next Island.

Quote from David to MS9's question:
Now for the biggie – I asked if he could share any
information regarding a transportation fee from
other locations to Next Island, and he stated, “The
one clarification I have to make is that I have to
adhere to the policy on interplanetary travel, which
is 40 PED each way I believe.
We will charge what is
mandated and not more than that.”

What if, when hangars are reintroduced MA instigates a fixed fee to fly to the planets (and CP & Foma Asteroid)?
As spaceships are due back early in 2011 but will not be able to leave the planet till MA "invents" space later on in the year the TP fees will remain in force until then at least. If the fixed fee remains and is transfered to the ships it would stop any bickering and references to "The pilot mafia" and all working pilots would get an equal hit at making an income because one ship and pilot would be the same as any other.
Ships in their old guise always needed fuel and repair and as unlimited ships it's a good possibility that will happen again, and with a fixed fare system and fixed repair/decay system u would have a fixed income system. i'm not saying this is a good or bad thing just a theory on what might happen and the consequences. Also for this to work it would help if fuel and decay were adjusted so taking 1 passenger =x amount of fuel and decay and taking say 4 passengers =X x4 fuel and decay balancing the income/spend. (this isn't a discussion btw on MA balancing :) ) And mebee a ticket system instigated too?
The only real drawback I see from my musings is passengers boycotting a pilot they dont like so mebee even use an automatic pilotless system in this scenario..........or have passengers not know the pilots identity to stop any reprisals........just thinkin in print here:)
A few people have said in the forum "theres no damm way im paying X to travel" and those people will probably never leave the planet. But there's plenty who have and who do if only to see a new planet with their own eyes.
There has been mention of hangars being an important part of the system and also people saying what about personal ships?
My take on this is that hangars might become "garages" for a variety of ships but personal craft 1 or 2 seaters should have the same decay/fuel requirements as larger ships or be restricted in speed when carrying a passenger(s) so as to not undercut the main ships. Also a rental income from having other ships using the facilities would be cool, and not much differant from payin taxes on an LA.
I think i would like to be able to take on a pilot for when I'm not able to use my ship too without stupid damm loggin on in someone elses name/account trust problems.
Mebee all this is far to complicated a scenario to contemplate an we'll return to the bad old days of pilot wars (mafia lol) and undercuttin cut-throat shenanigans we had in the past but I hope not.

NB I might add more ideas comments to this post if i think of any :)

Great Idea

We have at least one space port, so why not set them up to be like airports. Let MA have the headache of working out the price. Say a player buys a ticket from an "event organizer" player gives said ticket to pilot of their choice and pilot gets paid. This way MA can setup an acceptable profit margin, taking into account oil prices and repairs. They could even setup a formula to be dynamic should expenses increase/decrease.

When I did do flying there were always complaints about CND/CP prices and yes even talk of a pilot "mafia" (what a lot of rot that was lol).

Let MA have the problem, pilots r players too and don't need the hassle of being accused of ripping ppl off or being in a cartel.

That way if someone doesn't want to fly to x they don't have to and pilots don't have to listen to conspiracy theories.

I seriously think something like this might actually work, remember a game is supposed to be an enjoyable experience for all players and not just a few.

Anyway just my 2 pecs, please don't take it personally, its just an idea after all lol.

Have fun and good luck in game :)

I think a ticket system may well be in the works. Whether there is just one ticket machine that dispenses one ticket with a set price or a more complex terminal where you can select pilot (might also show who is online / flights per week for example ) and variety of prices we will have to see next year.

This way MA can setup an acceptable profit margin, taking into account oil prices and repairs. They could even setup a formula to be dynamic should expenses increase/decrease.

Yea, also do some price fixing for animal oils, tailoring mats, ores and stuff. Really a waste of time that i have to bother using my brain what might be profitable atm and what not.

Back