Planet Calypso Advertising?

Way back, when there was only Planet Calypso, a new player landed in Port Atlantis and they could see it was a busy place, with the chat scrolling by and seeing lots of players running about.

Whilst it was confusing, a new player could see plenty of other people played.

Then came Gateway, which was good for teaching new people the basics and giving them "free goes" at mining, crafting and hunting. This was good.

Then came extra planets.

I just wonder if the first hour of a new players experience now is of emptyness now with first of all Genesis where they choose a planet, then Calypso Gateway (if they make that choice) which might be quite empty (dont know I cant access it) and even if they jump through that hoop - arriving at a quiet empty Port Atlantis which often causes my PC to crash with out of Ram message (I have 4 gig of ram)

So in summary, it might be that a new player thinks the Gateway is the main game now and it is not made clear enough that it is just a beginner area and the main game is through the teleporter.

Or it could be they arrive in Port Atlantis and the game crashes with "Out of Ram" message and they uninstall it.

Or it could be the sweat price.

Just some thoughts that occur to me.

Yes.. If a game would crash on me the whole time after I just installed it, and I didn't even get "hooked" I would deinstall it. The memory problem is a huge one, because it either prevents a player from seeing all the eyecandy (settings on low texture to avoid crash), or seeing it and crashing.
There are still a lot of people out there with 32 bit operating systems (which seems to be the core of the problem, since 64 bit users seem to have no problem at all)

Another Idea would be to add a circle/square to port atlantis with booths around them (just like quarry at arkadia), so that a second trading area could start at port atlantis . Pre crysis you had two markets, port atlantis for newbie trade, and twin peaks for mid-upper level trade. A square with booths would help a lot to make port atlantis more alive.

There are still a lot of people out there with 32 bit operating systems (which seems to be the core of the problem, since 64 bit users seem to have no problem at all)

Win7 x64 - many people, including me, reporting that issue too. I still have CTD's, "out of memory" msg I saw only once, and consider it as ATH for myself. Other times I have just CTD's.

I can't really tell you much about our upcoming marketing campaign however you can expect that MindArk will market Planet Calypso as a MMORPG while the Entropia Universe is marketed in a business to business fashion.

When will it start? Impossible to say because it depends on how long it takes for us to fix some problems that we have identified that causes players to leave the game early.

Cheers

Wow, that last sentence really gives me hope for the future. Could it be...? Is MA/FPC actually on the right track? I dare not think it might be true....
yet, I can hope.

Yes.. If a game would crash on me the whole time after I just installed it, and I didn't even get "hooked" I would deinstall it. The memory problem is a huge one, because it either prevents a player from seeing all the eyecandy (settings on low texture to avoid crash), or seeing it and crashing.

Another Idea would be to add a circle/square to port atlantis with booths around them (just like quarry at arkadia), so that a second trading area could start at port atlantis . Pre crysis you had two markets, port atlantis for newbie trade, and twin peaks for mid-upper level trade. A square with booths would help a lot to make port atlantis more alive.

Yes. And while you're at it, drop the price of ingame real estate such as booths and appartments. Make them abundant and available to all, and you'll see people flock in. Flood the market with appartments now, first sales I mean, and I am certain a lot of people will get one...people who wouldn't at current prices.... would create another trickle income for MA//FPC as well :)

Yes. And while you're at it, drop the price of ingame real estate such as booths and appartments. Make them abundant and available to all, and you'll see people flock in. Flood the market with appartments now, first sales I mean, and I am certain a lot of people will get one...people who wouldn't at current prices.... would create another trickle income for MA//FPC as well :)

that would just piss of current apt. owners that paid more =P

maybe a tent-city would be a viable option? or a subway station + sleeping bags?

maybe a tent-city would be a viable option? or a subway station + sleeping bags?

Then upgrade the original owners to something a bit better, free of charge. Perhaps a larger appartment, or some buildings with high value housing, on high value locations....and give those with existing appartments the right to move, and sell the places becoming available for the lower price.

Easy fix.

I don't think MA will be releasing more apartments anytime soon, and not because of existing apartment owners, but because they have $$ before their eyes with the land grab and everybody building their own cottage on land lots. Which will create an unknown but largish amount of new real estate and probably decimate apartment prices anyways.

Anyways, its a pity the buildings introduced in PA when it was remodeled do not have apartments.

Are we talking Calypso Land Deeds? How can you even gamble with them? :scratch:

Buying them from MA in global auction for "TT-value" and hoping to sell them at "TT+" in local auction, but getting bust when MA added more stacks in auction?

Buying them from MA in global auction for "TT-value" and hoping to sell them at "TT+" in local auction, but getting bust when MA added more stacks in auction?

That would not be gambling tho, just plain stupid :laugh:

That would not be gambling tho, just plain stupid :laugh:

If there's one thing I have learned in my existence, it's to never doubt the potential for individual stupidity.

Back