Planet Partners Responsibilities...

NetStalker

Elite
On the Couch. I won the argument so why am I on th
Society
The Disturbed Ones
JiggyFly NetStalker Sloan
I thought about posting this in the MA forum section under the thread that David started, but thought this was diverse enough for its own discussion.

Has anyone given any thought to what happens when a business/Planet goes under?

Planets in EU are just different ways for "Partners" to advertise. What happens if the dollars for advertising dry up, or the shift of the company is away from the market they have in EU, or any number of reasons a company decides on another advertising method?

Do these planets just stop working? Does a planet display a sign that states its outside a server boundry? What about land that may be on these planets, or DNA, or any number of other items that are specific to this new planet?

I understand the model that MA has put out with Calypso, one company, one planet, so far its been a great ride. My concern comes when its outside the control of MA to determine where dollars are best spent.

David made it pretty clear in his post that most everything is left up to the developers of the new planets....Just has me a bit concerened.

:cool:

I would assume most of this would be covered in the legal contractual obligations which from what has been said before, is quite detailed and complex, by David or Marco when it came to the CKI partnership signing before the official announcement was made.

I don't believe MA would just rush in head first without having stop/dis-association measures/mechanisms in place for the such.

~ Sparkz

No worries - even if a planet partner is to disappear, the planet will continue for years to come. This is a safety mechanism so no participant risks losing everything overnight. Security and stability is always our main priority, even when it comes to partner planets - they are still part of the Entropia Universe.

Phew.....

I thought Marco was about to asks for tenders for virtual eviction services then.....

It gives me piece of mind that with the money i sink into the game and maybe others who have more at stake within the game are protected. MA who are thought to make many mistakes or wrong decisions regarding the game still remember the core principal of the game and thats longevity!

However If it all goes wrong, i have a fleet of U-move vans on call ;)

Bags

SELLING - Planet, barely used, needs only minor repair. TT + 1k ped. :laugh:

If a PP went bust I would imagine that MA would take over the running of the planet, not good press to just shut it down. I think MA will be in control of the deposits made by any one, the PP's will just earn cash by having people play on them.

I also don't believe its 100% in the hands of the developers of the other planets, unless they have no intention of allowing travel between theirs and the other planets. It was already stated that MA will be in control of the economy of the other planets and they will almost certainly not be able to provide weapons / tools that are completely out of balance of the current EU models. Planet partners will just be in control of certain aspects of their worlds, MA won't allow a partner to hurt them financially by destablising the RCE.

If they move away from the model they originally proposed to MA to get a planet, I'm guessing it would need MA's approval first. I'd also guess MA have protected themselves with a clause in the contracts that allows them to take over a planet if the partner is acting in a manner that could hurt the EU brand.

Advertising could be one cause, if they start out with advertising normal companies and then switch to more adult services MA might feel this could be detrimental to EU as a whole. E.g. if a partner allowed Peppermint Hippo to sponsor a virtual lap dancing club.

Thanks Marco, thats a quick response and appreciated.....:D

Right up till the

KILLER ROBOTS OF AKBAL CIMI

invade and take over those planets.

Imagine Calypso if the megacorporations like Genesis, Omegaton, and their like stopped supporting the colonists of Calypso.

They're still out there... waiting... biding their time... waiting to strike what will be the final blow if we are unprepared. The eviscerators are proof!

AG

No worries - even if a planet partner is to disappear, the planet will continue for years to come. This is a safety mechanism so no participant risks losing everything overnight. Security and stability is always our main priority, even when it comes to partner planets - they are still part of the Entropia Universe.

Now that is good to hear, and I'm glad MA is trying to address some concerns.

Well its good to hear this, given some + REP for the fast reply!

this is what makes me confident in Mindark i never even thought of that issue but this is great to know. Like what if i bought a house on next Island and main company goes belly up.

Really good to see that you guys know what your getting into. I'm sooo excited like i've been for the last 5 years. I still feel like a pioneer. It's like going to Mars without all the crazy risks.

Does that saftey mechanism apply for Calypso aswell? :scratch2:

Now that pretty intresting. This is implying that planets will have their own items and/or economy, since had they all been tied to eachother the loss of a planet would only mean you lost a place to hunt or whatever on. So this means you have to choose a planet?

This is just a guess but I bet that it is set up on a franchising arrangement with MA as the franchisor. That way if the planet partner goes bust they terminate the agreement and have step in rights thus protecting both the brand and the community. Think Macdonalds

Now that pretty intresting. This is implying that planets will have their own items and/or economy, since had they all been tied to eachother the loss of a planet would only mean you lost a place to hunt or whatever on. So this means you have to choose a planet?

I believe that the planets will have their own items, but they will be limited to land or apts, or hangers...etc...I believe that weapons and other usable items will continue to be interchangeable.

no reason to have to remove specific armour, go to storage store weapons, clothes etc just to travel between planets...makes no sense....

To have items unique for different planets is what we need. Then we can start talking about trade routes between planets wich will be very good for the economy.

Another question touching this subject. what happens if a Planet owner doesn't like the loot settings? Since this is part of EU and managed by MA, will he have any influense at all?

To have items unique for different planets is what we need. Then we can start talking about trade routes between planets wich will be very good for the economy.

In a developer perspektive this sounds hard to manage. If we would be able to move items between different planets we need to have graphic files/information for all planets items stored on each players PC. This sounds like a huge download, it's allready big today. imagine with a totally new set of mobs, clothes, weapons, armours etc..

Interesting :scratch:

Does this mean that any intellectual property developed by the planet partner(s) would be considered property of MindArk?

Are they under agreements not to divulge new developments that could be exploited if they are known prior to a VU?

So we dont lose "everything" overnight in this scenario...

Can i ask you to expand on that and confirm if we stand to lose "anything" overnight if a partner goes bust?

I think this is a pretty important point before anyone even considers visiting...

So we dont lose "everything" overnight in this scenario...

Can i ask you to expand on that and confirm if we stand to lose "anything" overnight if a partner goes bust?

I think this is a pretty important point before anyone even considers visiting...

I could speculate if you like ? ;)

/start speculation

There would be a sustained period of operation extended by MindArk in which all items which pertain to the mechanic workings of the universe & associated useable resources would be advised by MindArk to be taken off world to other designations;

Since you can transport a good 99% of these items, except those items like in the case of Calypso, Sweat, Dung & Fruit which may pertain to the operation of that world only.

A lockdown on mining, hunting & possibly crafting of remaining resources would occur on the world to be decommissioned as to stop addition flow of newly extracted resources & dropped loot.

A temporary portal service would be offered to transport people to another world or to a temporary space port for pickup by spaceship owners would be offered.

Land Area Deeds, Shop Deeds & Apartment Deeds would be likely to be the loss incurred by death of a partner.

** Once proper regulation of the RCE environment occurs worldwide, this will not be a problem as you will be able to get real life insurance cover to cover for any such loss of assets, just as you would insure your house in the real world **

So yes, MindArk will carry on the further operation of a world for a period of grace until it is to be decommissioned.

However, other avenues may also be in place in the selling of the world's partner rights to another interested partner party to take over and MindArk itself may or may not consider the current feasibility & future viability of adding the world to their own portfolio.

All in all, you won't lose everything overnight :yay:

/end speculation

~ Sparkz

Last edited:
Another question touching this subject. what happens if a Planet owner doesn't like the loot settings? Since this is part of EU and managed by MA, will he have any influense at all?.

There will be constant discussions between each partner and MindArk's BASE-department (Balancing, Analysis, Statistics and Experience). But BASE will have final word on anything related to internal mechanics - from the perspective of the entire Entropia Universe platform. On the other hand, of course BASE must strike the "perfect" equilibrium of fun and excitement on each and every planet as well. It is a tricky job.

I thought about posting this in the MA forum section under the thread that David started, but thought this was diverse enough for its own discussion.

Has anyone given any thought to what happens when a business/Planet goes under?

Planets in EU are just different ways for "Partners" to advertise. What happens if the dollars for advertising dry up, or the shift of the company is away from the market they have in EU, or any number of reasons a company decides on another advertising method?

Do these planets just stop working? Does a planet display a sign that states its outside a server boundry? What about land that may be on these planets, or DNA, or any number of other items that are specific to this new planet?

I understand the model that MA has put out with Calypso, one company, one planet, so far its been a great ride. My concern comes when its outside the control of MA to determine where dollars are best spent.

David made it pretty clear in his post that most everything is left up to the developers of the new planets....Just has me a bit concerened.

:cool:

I see marco made a reply to this, but a educated guess would be that they would become ghost planest, just like they land areas of the locked players. MA have said they would do something about those lands years or so ago... but we all know MA is best at talking and not so good at taking action..

/start speculation

/end speculation

~ Sparkz

Yes, but I asked Marco to clarify - would we lose anything?

I also notice Marco avoided replying to that post which has me a little worried...

"BASE! How low can you go?"

Bring the Noise - Public Enemy (with Anthrax)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLkaGcpJFA

There will be constant discussions between each partner and MindArk's BASE-department (Balancing, Analysis, Statistics and Experience). But BASE will have final word on anything related to internal mechanics - from the perspective of the entire Entropia Universe platform. On the other hand, of course BASE must strike the "perfect" equilibrium of fun and excitement on each and every planet as well. It is a tricky job.

[YOUTUBE]qItugh-fFgg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

That's all very good at a glance, but really empty at a closer look. I'm refering to "for years to come" - which isn't a value at all. You make it sound like we would loose everything over a three-year period, instead of over night. :umn:

MindArk's BASE-department (Balancing, Analysis, Statistics and Experience).

Oh how ironic it is. Is there any chase that BASE might be on.. base? I mean with the current loots and all.. :silly2:

Great Marco thanks for the heads up / info :)

/start speculation

There would be a sustained period of operation extended by MindArk in which all items which pertain to the mechanic workings of the universe & associated useable resources would be advised by MindArk to be taken off world to other designations;

Since you can transport a good 99% of these items, except those items like in the case of Calypso, Sweat, Dung & Fruit which may pertain to the operation of that world only.

A lockdown on mining, hunting & possibly crafting of remaining resources would occur on the world to be decommissioned as to stop addition flow of newly extracted resources & dropped loot.

A temporary portal service would be offered to transport people to another world or to a temporary space port for pickup by spaceship owners would be offered.

Land Area Deeds, Shop Deeds & Apartment Deeds would be likely to be the loss incurred by death of a partner.

** Once proper regulation of the RCE environment occurs worldwide, this will not be a problem as you will be able to get real life insurance cover to cover for any such loss of assets, just as you would insure your house in the real world **

So yes, MindArk will carry on the further operation of a world for a period of grace until it is to be decommissioned.

However, other avenues may also be in place in the selling of the world's partner rights to another interested partner party to take over and MindArk itself may or may not consider the current feasibility & future viability of adding the world to their own portfolio.

/end speculation

~ Sparkz

well this might not be the case , if MA was smart and a partner was to not be able to full their obligations then MA should reserve the right to either take back the land (forfeit) or buy back the land and resell the land to another possible buyer .. I think that would be in the best interest of MA to have a agreement in place which would cover that.

Intellectual property issues would be quite interesting in the event of a failed business partner. I'm sure MA won't discuss that here. I know I wouldn't. Not our business to know those details.

I hope the partner agreement addresses that in some way or *should* a new planet fail (Yes, look, me... AG being an optimist and not saying *when*) that MA retains the planet and creature designs. Otherwise they'd have to come up with something quick and dirty,... or hang out the "planet closed for remodeling" sign. :)

Cheers!

AG

Back