Players standing in line at oil field

noobie oilrig? As far as I know it was never a noob place - just a place to kill or be killed. If you go there as a group and shut it down it was yours - if you went alone you better be prepared to die.

There is a 2nd oilrig now - for newbs, dropping smaller amounts of oil.

Oops, maybe i shouldnt have said that in public... :laugh:

Dear MA

In regards to the recent addition of the new oil rig, i would like to bring to your attention the following comprehensive ........ ahh fuck it...i drew you a picture LOOK...Loooook at my pictures :girl:

Solving it with Violence : :handgun: woot::woot::woot: EXPLOIT !!!

Solving it with Diplomacy : :wise::yup::yup::yup::yup: EXPLOIT !!!

Solving it with Chaos : :wise: :handgun: :yup: :yay::yup::eyecrazy::wise::beerchug::yup::yup::bomb::smash::cheer::cheer::rocket::cheer::cheer::duh::handjob::drink::drink::drink::handgun::handgun::hug::cheer::whisper::shots: EXPLOIT !!!!

Solving it in Protest :dancing: EXPLOIT !!!!

As you can see form this very in depth analyses there is clearly a lack of....Aaaaaah fuc it :) Go on, just tell me already, you like my pictures :)

Yours sincerely

Pew pew ColdFinger PEW

Hi. you're welcome to stand in line if you wish. You're also welcome to shoot the people standing in line, if you wish. Its pvp, you make the rules. Ma shouldnt interfere either way.

What happened to this forum?

We used to have a smiley limit (10?), to prevent excesses like these?!?

Never seen a whining post with so many smileys... ts ts ts...

What happened to this forum?

We used to have a smiley limit (10?), to prevent excesses like these?!?

Never seen a whining post with so many smileys... ts ts ts...

I think the world needs more smilies!!! :yay:

Wow this thread got out of hand lmfao.

Excuse me, maybe you misunderstand exploit... I don't mean it in the sense as they are exploiting a bug and should be banned or anything, but they are exploiting.

1. to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends
2. to make the best use of to exploit natural resources

They are making a better use of the oil field than it should be by waiting in line, in my opinion itit should be kill everyone and get the oil.
And let me restate, that is just my opinion. Which is why I made this thread to find out your opinions. Apparently you all value them so much as to go batshit crazy. :laugh::laugh:

I think the world needs more smilies!!! :yay:

I agree - Daisys post would have been much better with even more smileys and less letters.

:laugh:

1. to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends

Collaboration = unethical?

I beg to differ, imo that's exactly the opposite of "unethical" or "unjustly".

And who's being treated unfair here? MindArk??? :laugh:

Nobody refers to "exploiting natural resources" with the use of "this is an exploit"...

Lame excuse, try again.

Haha this thread brought me back to the early days of EU when noobs would sit in line around the oil rig.. Good memories :)

Wow this thread got out of hand lmfao.

Excuse me, maybe you misunderstand exploit... I don't mean it in the sense as they are exploiting a bug and should be banned or anything, but they are exploiting.

They are making a better use of the oil field than it should be by waiting in line, in my opinion itit should be kill everyone and get the oil.
And let me restate, that is just my opinion. Which is why I made this thread to find out your opinions. Apparently you all value them so much as to go batshit crazy. :laugh::laugh:

Sounds to me like your trying to justify your desire to go kill them by calling what's going on as an exploit. There are no rules that say in a PVP you must PK someone or everyone. They chose not to PK in the PVP, so they don't and they take what MA and the LA is offering, the oil. Makes no sence to get validation for what you want to do by accusing the ppl there, cheaters of the system. Their not, and there's no exploit either.

And yes you most likely will be hated by many ppl there if you carry out your wishes to PK them, all for a little oil or a brief period of feeling Uber. is it worth it? I think not

If you can't beat them, join them?

That is probably how they formed a line from the beginning.

Haha this thread brought me back to the early days of EU when noobs would sit in line around the oil rig.. Good memories :)

Nice to see you still lurking ZippO. :)

To the OP...
ZippO is proof you can be a pk'er and be well thought of......;)

and he's not the only one from his class....not every pvp guy is thought of as a douche bag...
In the old days "real" pvp guys were treated with a certain respect even though they were killing us and stealing our stuff when they had the chance...i'll leave it to you to figure out the difference. ;)

If you really can't wrap your brain around it....pm me and i'll fill in the blanks. :laugh:

An exploit in EU is defined as anything that benefit's the players over the house...er I mean MA. :)

In this case MA is giving some free oil....They placed it in PVP, how the players choose to collect it is up to the players....seems simple to me. Want to control it all...go fight or stfu and get in line ;)

I'll take a break from mudering Leviathans and do a wormhole (if wormhole chips still work that is) to the rig if any new people are interested. Get your group together and send me an IM. Of course there maybe a buncha guns blazing away at the other end. Like the saying goes: You rolls the dice and you takes your chances.

My SOC flipped shit and almost kicked me out just for mentioning that I might want to be a pirate in a few months during my first week. People hate pirates, I wanted to see if this was similar. In my opinion this is do different than killing someone in space, but if you guy see it differently and this is cool and space killing is not than I can possibly do this and not get hate by everyone.

Dude, this universe is a sandbox. You can roleplay anything you want, a pirate or a hero, a helper or a rat, a wise man or a stupid kid. But when you chose your role and side, accept the attitudes toward you.

You cannot be a pirate and ask for love from community at the same time. In a more dirty word, you cannot be a virgin when working at red light district, can you?

In the end, you are a pirate, therefore, getting hate by most of us is ordinary. You choose your role, no one forces you to play it, you choose it by yourself. It's a sandbox in the end. Final word: do not play criminal role when you are not mature enough to accept the consequence.

Dude, this universe is a sandbox. You can roleplay anything you want, a pirate or a hero, a helper or a rat, a wise man or a stupid kid. But when you chose your role and side, accept the attitudes toward you.

You cannot be a pirate and ask for love from community at the same time. In a more dirty word, you cannot be a virgin when working at red light district, can you?

In the end, you are a pirate, therefore, getting hate by most of us is ordinary. You choose your role, no one forces you to play it, you choose it by yourself. It's a sandbox in the end. Final word: do not play criminal role when you are not mature enough to accept the consequence.
+ Rep well said! :wise:

The law (or lack thereof) allows killing other players. Just because you can, doesn't mean you must (or must not).

Consider Amathera (outside the LAs). I often run past or stand near other players, and we rarely have fun killing each other. On the contrary, we sometimes converse or usually ignore each other.

It's a game. Play it your way, but always consider the social ramifications.

Good luck and have fun.

The law (or lack thereof) allows killing other players. Just because you can, doesn't mean you must (or must not).

Consider Amathera (outside the LAs). I often run past or stand near other players, and we rarely have fun killing each other. On the contrary, we sometimes converse or usually ignore each other.

It's a game. Play it your way, but always consider the social ramifications.

Good luck and have fun.

I sometimes enjoy killing the random stranger in between LA's... wakes em up;)

The the op... if it bothers you go close the rig and take all the oil for yourself :D ... just don't be surprised when a bigger fish swims into your bit of ocean.

There are players who stand in line at the noobie oil field to loot oil, they take turns and wait for the spawns. In my opinion this ruins the PvP experience for any new player as they are just standing there abusing the first PvP zone a newbie can find and not even doing PvP.

If players were to go in there constantly and kill all the people waiting, would that be grieifing or looked down upon? It is a PvP zone and those exploiters waiting in line should be killed as far as I am concerned.

this is not new, the first time i visited the rig in 2006 there were some pvp-ers that would take the rig and then control access to the oil, some of these players would then share the oil with noobs making them line up neatly and punishing those that ate more than there share at the buffet. their motivation for this seemed varied, some did it "because they could" and they enjoyed having this power, others seemed to do it to piss of the other pvp-ers by killing them and then giving "their" oil to the noobs, and some just seemed to want to share with new players in a fun way other than handing out ped directly.

I support their communist ways, for the motherpump!

the proletariat taking control of the means of production, true hero's of the revolution! :D

Then go there and kill them. There's no rule that says you have to fight over the oil. In fact, standing in line for the oil was the way it was done when the rig first came out, so kudos to them for going back to the roots.
If they can cooperate and keep it peaceful, good. If they fight over it, also good.

What he says ;)

Depositing is an exploit, since using depo'd funds provides an unfair advantage, so its only ok to shoot people at the rig if you have never depo'd.

Players not doing PvP and getting together in a line to farm items in a PvP zone is exploiting in my opinion, and if I attack them it looks like I will get bad rep?

Well, if you start to "cut the line" (stand first, ignoring the line) or you go berzerk with a weapon, you'll probably have your pvp action pretty soon. And yeah, you might get some rep out of it.

If that oil rig isn't for you, there is another one with a bigger chance/risk of getting shotdown. Why noy trying out that place instead? (The "orignal" oil rig NE of Ashi). Or, buy an antitoxic shot and start looking around in pvp3.

Also I guess it makes some difference if you give the beginners a fair chance - for instance using an opalo or such, and not one-hit everyone around with a "mod dar".

Exactly....and in reference to an earlier post where he notes "concern" about the perception the community will have of them if they did PK, comparing it to possibly getting the same kinda "hate" you get as a Pirate. Dont worry, this concern of yours is Un founded :)

Pirating and Planet Side PK are two different professions and community's response to the two are vastly different. So let rip, get the launchers out and light the place up :yay:

DCF

Last edited:
There are players who stand in line at the noobie oil field to loot oil, they take turns and wait for the spawns. In my opinion this ruins the PvP experience for any new player as they are just standing there abusing the first PvP zone a newbie can find and not even doing PvP.

If players were to go in there constantly and kill all the people waiting, would that be grieifing or looked down upon? It is a PvP zone and those exploiters waiting in line should be killed as far as I am concerned.

Wow, really? :laugh:

Okay, Okay, let's see here. 1) It's not an exploit or abuse because MA specifically puts the oil there to be looted and they accept the fact that no-matter how it disappears or what is happening while it disappears it will eventually disappear. Same goes for ND and his places. In-fact, there is even less pvp in NeverDie's spawning zones.
2) 99% of new players will not be interested in pvp as they will be trying to figure out the game, earn peds, gain skills, do quests, etc. The only new players who will be interested in pvp are those who come into the game with lots of peds and who initially wanted to pvp. Also, most new players are scared off from pvp zones anyways because the pvp zones are free roam and they can't compete with the higher leveled pvpers. :silly2: We all tell them that pvp is a waste of time, especially at lower levels, and that they should stay away from the pvp zones. Only Cyrene has a good pvp system that will allow for weak players to have a fair and fun experience.
3) This goes along with the second. New players are not interested in pvp experiences and in-fact avoid them at all costs. New players are interested in getting peds with which to play the game. Often this begins with sweating, then begging, then either quiting or depositing.
4) This newbie oil rig was seen as a great addition by proffessional sweaters/freeplayers like me. I myself don't care much for it because pvp zones are irritating, but I was thinking of the new players. NeverDie has 2 places on his planet that can be used to help supplement new players as they get into and learn the game. Before this rookie oil rig, new players on Calypso did not have this opportunity as the high ranking oil rig was both too far away and filled with too many high leveled players.
5) This taking turns and being nice does two things. 1) It strengthens community bonds and reinforces the aspects of team-work and sharing. Things that are central to the survival and overall atmosphere of this game (unless you are a rich player in which case you are free to be a loner and not really care about the community). 2) It is reminiscent of the Golden Age of EU. Back in those wonderful times when the high ranking oil field worked in the same manner. When high leveled people would protect the newbs and enforce a turn taking/equal sharing rule so that new players would have a chance for a good start in the game. We of EU want EU to return to the Golden Age don't we?
6) It is a pvp zone and any pvper is within his/her right to go in and massacre anyone in the pvp zone. However, it will be highly looked down upon by the larger EU community. Just as all acts of pvp (except those within pvp rings and those acts that are otherwise mutually accepted by both participants) are looked down upon by the larger EU community. I personally would see it as griefing. (Especially since you'd be killing innocent and weak newbs that wouldn't have a chance to defend themselves) :wise:

Is killing people in Space fround upon? YES
Is killing people on the ground fround upon? NO

Not absurd at all as there is no difference in the action but a huge difference in opinion

My SOC flipped shit and almost kicked me out just for mentioning that I might want to be a pirate in a few months during my first week. People hate pirates, I wanted to see if this was similar. In my opinion this is do different than killing someone in space, but if you guy see it differently and this is cool and space killing is not than I can possibly do this and not get hate by everyone.

This all depends upon who you ask. I'm afraid that killing people in space and killing people on the ground are more or less the same. You will be a pirate either way :silly2: Only depends upon who will and won't see you as one. The only difference is that you don't have a choice to travel through space if you want to see other planets, but you do have a choice of whether or not to go into pvp zones on planet.

The difference in opinion comes from this: "Society is ruled by those in power. Either power in numbers, or more often power in wealth. An issue only becomes a 'Social Problem' when it either negatively effects the rich or a vast number of people in a concentrated area. Either way, those in power are the ones who shape social opinion. PVP on the ground did not negatively effect the rich to the point where it would be seen as a social problem. But, PVP in space did negatively effect the rich (Traders and those who do a vast amount of hunting/mining/crafting and who then would want to sell their items for as much MU as possible which can only be done on other planets) and it also negatively effected a vast number of people as it negatively effected everyone except the pvpers. Therefore, PVP in space became a 'social problem' and was seen as piracy whereas PVP on the ground was not, even though it is really the same thing."

Also, if you massacre innocent newbs who won't have a chance to defend themselves then I'd say that should be looked down upon no-matter the context. Which is why I wouldn't necessarily consider PVP in the high ranking oil field to be as bad. But that's just me :silly2:

noobie oilrig? As far as I know it was never a noob place - just a place to kill or be killed. If you go there as a group and shut it down it was yours - if you went alone you better be prepared to die.

Yes, there is a new oil rig zone called the "Orthos Oil Fields" North of Camp Icarus. It is considered a Newbie Oil Rig for two reasons. 1) It is very close to where the new people start out and easily accessible by them. 2) It drops significantly less oil per drop than the High Level "Old Oil Rig" in the Ashi desert. :)

Noobs cooperating? OMG. What's EU coming to? Actually, we need more noobs and more players. More power to them if they find a way to stay in EU longer.

Second, if you want to see what the community thinks, a suggestion would be to create a poll with a few options.

So somebody killed them already? or do I have to get my killing streak :laugh:

Wow, really? :laugh:

Okay, Okay, let's see here. 1) It's not an exploit or abuse because MA specifically puts the oil there to be looted and they accept the fact that no-matter how it disappears or what is happening while it disappears it will eventually disappear. Same goes for ND and his places. In-fact, there is even less pvp in NeverDie's spawning zones.
2) 99% of new players will not be interested in pvp as they will be trying to figure out the game, earn peds, gain skills, do quests, etc. The only new players who will be interested in pvp are those who come into the game with lots of peds and who initially wanted to pvp. Also, most new players are scared off from pvp zones anyways because the pvp zones are free roam and they can't compete with the higher leveled pvpers. :silly2: We all tell them that pvp is a waste of time, especially at lower levels, and that they should stay away from the pvp zones. Only Cyrene has a good pvp system that will allow for weak players to have a fair and fun experience.
3) This goes along with the second. New players are not interested in pvp experiences and in-fact avoid them at all costs. New players are interested in getting peds with which to play the game. Often this begins with sweating, then begging, then either quiting or depositing.
4) This newbie oil rig was seen as a great addition by proffessional sweaters/freeplayers like me. I myself don't care much for it because pvp zones are irritating, but I was thinking of the new players. NeverDie has 2 places on his planet that can be used to help supplement new players as they get into and learn the game. Before this rookie oil rig, new players on Calypso did not have this opportunity as the high ranking oil rig was both too far away and filled with too many high leveled players.
5) This taking turns and being nice does two things. 1) It strengthens community bonds and reinforces the aspects of team-work and sharing. Things that are central to the survival and overall atmosphere of this game (unless you are a rich player in which case you are free to be a loner and not really care about the community). 2) It is reminiscent of the Golden Age of EU. Back in those wonderful times when the high ranking oil field worked in the same manner. When high leveled people would protect the newbs and enforce a turn taking/equal sharing rule so that new players would have a chance for a good start in the game. We of EU want EU to return to the Golden Age don't we?
6) It is a pvp zone and any pvper is within his/her right to go in and massacre anyone in the pvp zone. However, it will be highly looked down upon by the larger EU community. Just as all acts of pvp (except those within pvp rings and those acts that are otherwise mutually accepted by both participants) are looked down upon by the larger EU community. I personally would see it as griefing. (Especially since you'd be killing innocent and weak newbs that wouldn't have a chance to defend themselves) :wise:

Sorry but that is not completely true, many new players go try their luck at ashi rig to get some part of the oil and if you look at how some operate they actually manage to get their share of oil there wich they are gonna use to buy vehicles to go back to the rig and try to take more oil they will stack it and sell eventually for peds to hunt and buy gear. Yes it is time consuming but many new players actually do it like that, because it is a rush for them to outsmart the skilled ones who want to hold the rig there.

And also why would ppl look down on the pvp part? It is not like the newbies are forced to go there it is the rush they get from there for trying to get a share at the pump by sneaking in or outsmart others. Many who came there once will most likely come again just because it is fun.
I think you don't know how much activity there actually is at the rig, maybe go check for yourself? :)
And to say that all who hold the rig have no mercy on newbies is also not true, alot who are persistant will eventually get some share also cuz rig is not always looked after 24/7 by skilled ones.

As to why space pvp is so "looked down upon" - it is set up in such a manner that you are forced to travel in "choke zones". On a planet you can go into pvp zones and you are not necessarily restricted to certain areas. You can wander freely on land and actually have the ability to travel through the pvp areas without being forced into areas where pvp'ers are concentrated. I think the answer to the issue to space pvp would be to open the map and allow everyone to travel anywhere on the map. It would also allow for development of space as a "sandbox" where there could be natural phenomenon that effect flight - blackholes, novas, etc kind of like the old pits that did acid damage to you as previously implemented in PE.
Just a thought.

Back