Plea for Front Page article with NEWS

Serica

Society
Antipodean Army
Harena Serica Turbinis
This has been bugging me all day and I really just have to get it off my chest.

Please, please, please can we have a NEWS article on the front page ??

I know it's the holidays, and that people have been busy with RL stuff and events etc ....

but for the love of Lootius, is a childrens fiction format the best that anyone can come up with as 'EU News' ??

I don't care how well-written fan fiction is, it just ISN'T news!

So much has happened since Skam's last article on 14 December:
. The sale/purchase of CP
. Introduction of Tiers & Enhancers
. Merry Mayhem
. End of SGA
. The new mobs
. Christmas gifts, and the players who contributed to their designs
... and the list goes on...

(No no, dont stop the woman mid-rant - always wait til fireworks have gone out before trying to handle them kiddies)

Is there no wordsmith out there who can craft something out of any of that, and let us enjoy the sort of well-written and researched front page article we have come to expect (and perhaps take for granted) from the likes of Skam, JimmyB, MS9, Pinky or SirOdd ???

And no, don't tell me I should submit one myself, I'm well aware of my own limitations, and journalism is not a skill I even pretend to have.

But truly, at the moment it's like turning on The 7.30 Report and finding that it's been replaced by Home & Away, or that Kerri-Anne Kennerley is filling in for Kerry O'Brien.

Ok, that feels better....

ef is dead newswise, got to find it elsewhere.

I could compile some very basic facts about the CP purchase, but I doubt it'd pass for journalism :laugh:

Maybe EF is more community discussion related and not that much news minded? There should be different kind of forums with focus on different things - plenty of room for that.

Anyway, you are welcome to read the latest news about EU here

I agree, i really have a craving for some who is who reading :laugh:

Bring on the news ppl :wtg:

Hello my dear Serica ... and Happy New Year to you. :hug: Now, to the topic at hand ... just as an FYI (as most may not know this), I haven't been in the Newsroom for a while now, and no longer on staff. I can certainly appreciate your request though, because I have always been of the mindset that a newsroom should be staffed enough to keep the front page fresh and revolving, especially since news reporters have RL demands as well, and not always available to cover events and/or activities across Calypso. Perhaps the newsroom needs some renovating? ... not sure what 711's current plans are for the newsroom, but at one time I know he was going to add more people ... maybe he still has that on his agenda.

As a personal note ... I thoroughly enjoy writing articles and Who's Who profiles, and maybe one day I might get back to it again, but for now ... I will tell you that I'm not only working on a piece that I will be posting in my personal sub-forum here at EF soon, but also making an announcement later this week. Maybe one day you'll see my work on the front page again, especially since 711 has left the door open for that as well (thank you), but in the meantime, I too wish there were more writers in the newsroom, or just in the community who would step up and share their abilities with us. We have more than a handful of exceptional writers in this community, and I would love to see them take on a project for the front page.

Thank you for your input and comments! ;)

I could easily pump out a decent article but I'd need someone to pass on info and such to me, I'm lazy like that. I'm more writer, less journalist. :silly2:

Would even be good to see the content lists from new update posted straight to the frontpage

Bring back Donald, he'd write us a story!!

Silly Serica, EF isn't for news or facts, it's for carefuly edited positive notes about the ungame. Since there isn't much positive to say fiction is the best choice at the moment.

oy lets not divide ef

Oy! and happy new year to all,

Serica,

I am a happy customer of yours and respect you in game, however I have to respect the talent of Marie and give her props for keeping EF getting traffic among all the whines and complaints the last weeks. Most new players ask where to go to make instant and consistent profit where as she has been productive and intelligent since I met her, always helping where she can when asked or invited to do so without looking for any compensation. Perhaps it is not news, but if no one else is contributing, I find it abusive to call it childish, that is simply unfair. Most find it fun and exciting to see what happens the next time and watch what unravels, I think the replies to them prove that. Many regular posters are on vacation or away for game for a bit, the site relies on hits to be successful and I see no reason to not have it on the main page, no matter of what the title says above. I am sure this was not meant as a personal attack after thinking about it, but maybe consider giving her some plus rep for contributing to the community. All the great people here do it for free and we should appreciate their efforts.

-JIAN!
:yay::yay::yay::wtg::wtg::yay::yay::yay:

This has been bugging me all day and I really just have to get it off my chest.

Please, please, please can we have a NEWS article on the front page ??

I know it's the holidays, and that people have been busy with RL stuff and events etc ....

but for the love of Lootius, is a childrens fiction format the best that anyone can come up with as 'EU News' ??

I don't care how well-written fan fiction is, it just ISN'T news!

So much has happened since Skam's last article on 14 December:
. The sale/purchase of CP
. Introduction of Tiers & Enhancers
. Merry Mayhem
. End of SGA
. The new mobs
. Christmas gifts, and the players who contributed to their designs
... and the list goes on...

(No no, dont stop the woman mid-rant - always wait til fireworks have gone out before trying to handle them kiddies)

Is there no wordsmith out there who can craft something out of any of that, and let us enjoy the sort of well-written and researched front page article we have come to expect (and perhaps take for granted) from the likes of Skam, JimmyB, MS9, Pinky or SirOdd ???

And no, don't tell me I should submit one myself, I'm well aware of my own limitations, and journalism is not a skill I even pretend to have.

But truly, at the moment it's like turning on The 7.30 Report and finding that it's been replaced by Home & Away, or that Kerri-Anne Kennerley is filling in for Kerry O'Brien.

Ok, that feels better....

lol SGA has apparantly not ended.

but ye, the frontpage rarly gets updated at all :p defo would be nice to see some stuff on there atleast weekly hehe

i'm ok with it, totally agree ;)

Comparing someones contribution to the forum to a childrens book is a little rude IMO - while I agree some more news would be welcome, most of the people you listed in your post don't or havent contibuted to the news for a long time.

I think the fact Marie has gone to a lot of effort to entertain people with a story should be appreciated, not disrespected. The format of the story is irrelevent, as its the content of the story, not the style that makes it for kids or not.

Perhaps a more constructive way or wording your thoughts about the lack of news could have been adopted... while I agree with the sentiment, I do agree that other people should be put down just to make a point.

711 is mod/admin.... I am a mod.... JC is a mod... Skam handles the news items (through reasons beyond her control) is not available.

So... is anyone volunteering to become a member of the EF Staff as a News Reporter?

To respond:

Cycokick, Lykke: Yep, I've had a few suggestions from others to just stop reading and contributing to EF. I know there's other EU-based forums out there I could join instead, but I don't see that as addressing what I hope will be a short-term issue.

Mega: Donald was still writing his journal when I started. I read the whole thing, and it was one of the things that first hooked me on reading EF on a daily basis :)

Jeffe, Thanatos: This thread is not an attack on the person who is writing the fan fiction pieces. Please follow the link I gave, or google "choose your own adventure' yourselves.
The "Choose Your Own Adventure" books started being published in 1979 (when I was 17). They are a fiction format targetted at the 7-14yo market.
Yet even if if a different style was used, and the writer was a Hugo Award winner, I don't see fan fiction as being anywhere near what I could possibly describe as "News". At best, it's light entertainment.

MS9/Rayne Jade: Happy new year :yay:
MS9, I miss your work here, and I'll be looking forward to your announcement :)
RJ, I'm not expecting miracles here, but I do hope that this thread might inspire someone to step to help out with the 'reporting' side of things.
At this point, I'd even settle for a weekly 'hot topics' thread (a format which has been done in the past).
If Skam is the only one in the Newroom nowadays, perhaps a recruiting drive is needed so that all the responsibility doesnt fall on just one person ?
The EU community has a wealth of talent, in all sorts of diverse areas, and I'm hoping there will be some journalists or media/communications students or amateur wordsmiths out there willing to step forward - perhaps they just need to know firstly that they can apply, and how to go about it ?

To respond:

Cycokick, Lykke: Yep, I've had a few suggestions from others to just stop reading and contributing to EF. I know there's other EU-based forums out there I could join instead, but I don't see that as addressing what I hope will be a short-term issue.

Serica, I still spent alot of time on EF, but more for other things. I dont have a high news value expectency of EF anymore.

Im just saying, Combine :)

Cycokick, I was looking around for some way to respond to :
Cycokick said:
... I dont have a high news value expectency of EF anymore...

This puts it in words better than I can come up with myself:

Alexander Pope: "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed." Expecting nothing is one way of avoiding disappointment. But what a heavy price to pay, for when we expect nothing, we get nothing.

So, the first lesson about expectations is to expect much and look for much. For when we do so, we shall discover our cups runneth over. Don’t expect problems, but expect solutions to every problem. Don’t expect difficulties, but expect to grow stronger with every difficulty you overcome. Don’t expect hard times, but expect every need to be met, for it is in expecting that we look, and in searching that we find.

Generally, I'm of the view that:
.. problems should be solved by those who see them - that when a difficulty presents itself the person who becomes aware of it should answer it instead of trying to pass it on to someone else ..
Stephen Donaldson, ‘Mordant’s Need’, Chapter 15 (Myste).

If I had the skills to offer, I'd be sending 711 a pm, offering to help.
I guess I'm hoping that I'm not the only one to see the problem, and that if others see it too, one (or more) of them might have the skillset able to answer the need.

711 is mod/admin.... I am a mod.... JC is a mod... Skam handles the news items (through reasons beyond her control) is not available.

So... is anyone volunteering to become a member of the EF Staff as a News Reporter?

I can give it a go but I wouldn't be able to write an article each week. It would be sporadic.

Personally I'd say just give everyone who wants to a shot and see what they come up with. If the audience like it then fine keep'em if not "off with their heads" :)

I do agree with needing more news content. If its not found here then there are other sites to get it ;)

But if things want to feel fresh a new article would be lovely.

I do however think that the articles by Marie are fantastic and engaging to the community but news about CP etc would be good.

C

I think if 711 made a officialy post advertising that he is looking for some fresh news writers we would all be surprised by the response..

I think the problem is our Ef news room staff is so very limited...

Why not add a ton of people that im sure would reply to a 711 post regarding this. then set up some sort of aprroval system for 711 or someone else to proof read the work before its published etc..

IMO theirs more then enough people willing to write something for the front page , but i think its the lack of confidence in their work that keeps them quite.

now then again maybe its not the lack of writers available. but the lack of people that can do everything required for the front page articles ..
ie. make cool photoshop pics for the articles as well as understand how to set up an article to look good wit hthe EF format... 2 things i personally suck at hehe

Last edited:
Site admin have been slightly distant of late or is that just me?

Id definately throw my weight behind finding an active news reporter again :) Skam imo is rather good at what she does lol

MS9/Rayne Jade: Happy new year :yay:

Happy New Year to you too :)

RJ, I'm not expecting miracles here, but I do hope that this thread might inspire someone to step to help out with the 'reporting' side of things.
At this point, I'd even settle for a weekly 'hot topics' thread (a format which has been done in the past).
If Skam is the only one in the Newroom nowadays, perhaps a recruiting drive is needed so that all the responsibility doesnt fall on just one person ?
The EU community has a wealth of talent, in all sorts of diverse areas, and I'm hoping there will be some journalists or media/communications students or amateur wordsmiths out there willing to step forward - perhaps they just need to know firstly that they can apply, and how to go about it ?

We (the staff) are not looking for miracles either. I agree, there is certainly a wealth of talent here in the EF community and I would love to see some folks step up. To apply, simply PM 711 and let him know you are interested. Certainly, based on the rules of EF there will be guidelines to follow. So if any of you are OK with that, send that PM!!

I can give it a go but I wouldn't be able to write an article each week. It would be sporadic.

Personally I'd say just give everyone who wants to a shot and see what they come up with. If the audience like it then fine keep'em if not "off with their heads" :)

I think you would do a wonderful job, George :thumbup: You are one of the most unbiased members we have - which is perfect for news reporting: stick to the facts.

I think if 711 made a officialy post advertising that he is looking for some fresh news writers we would all be surprised by the response..

I think the problem is our Ef news room staff is so very limited...

Why not add a ton of people that im sure would reply to a 711 post regarding this. then set up some sort of aprroval system for 711 or someone else to proof read the work before its published etc..

Ive always been interested in writing, and do a article or 2 a month for my Society website.

Had the opportunity arisen and the question asked i would be happy to step up and submit something every few weeks.

IMO theirs more then enough people willing to write something for the front page , but i think its the lack of confidence in their work that keeps them quite.

now then again maybe its not the lack of writers available. but the lack of people that can do everything required for the front page articles ..
ie. make cool photoshop pics for the articles as well as understand how to set up an article to look good wit hthe EF format... 2 things i personally suck at hehe

711 mentioned in the past (can't find the post...) that anyone can submit a news story for review. Once he looks it over and blesses off on it, viola! I think I can safely say EF is always looking for talent.

I think I can echo this part of what you are saying. For me personally I have only been writing fiction up until now and although Skam has invited me to try my hand at news reporting properly I have neither the confidence in my abilities as a news reporter (I've never tried it) or the skills to do the photo side of things. It is something I fully intend to try but for me I felt easing myself into the community slower by writing fiction first was a much gentler process on my self confidence.

To respond:

Jeffe, Thanatos: This thread is not an attack on the person who is writing the fan fiction pieces. Please follow the link I gave, or google "choose your own adventure' yourselves.
The "Choose Your Own Adventure" books started being published in 1979 (when I was 17). They are a fiction format targetted at the 7-14yo market.
Yet even if if a different style was used, and the writer was a Hugo Award winner, I don't see fan fiction as being anywhere near what I could possibly describe as "News". At best, it's light entertainment.

Serica I think the way you phrased this:

Combined with the post in the main Choose your own adventure thread:

Why make new posts in the News section when this is clearly all Fan Fiction :confused:

However important you like to think your writing is, sorry, but its NOT 'News'.

Surely with the end of SGA, Christmas, Merry Mayhem, sale of SGA, some real news could find its way to the front page ?

You may not have intended to personally attack me as a writer but if that were the case you possibly could have phrased things slightly better. The first quote is not soo bad in that after clicking on the link it's reasonably obvious you mean it is a fiction format originally written for children - though it is usually the content that deems a book aimed at children or not (I've seen some choose your own books you would never let a minor near let alone read). The phrasing does make it sound, however, that you personally think it's childish.

The second quote of yours with the second paragraph is however a direct attack and I have no idea of how else it can be construed. I did not post my fan fiction to the news section because I viewed it as more important than other fan fiction and 'abused' my ability as a news reporter. I was made a news reporter because I was asked if I wanted to post it there after part 2. I, of course, gladly accepted. To me it was the highest praise my writing could have been given.

To address the main issue here of the news I would also like to see more news and hopefully at some point soon I will get the chance to write some. Currently, though, people are very busy. Several of the current news reporters are also admins and have other jobs to do as well. Skam seems to have had some rl things crop up on her so isn't about as much. Also no one is getting paid for this and we all need to bring money in irl to pay the bills etc.

Hullo all :)

Like already mentioned, I've been rather unavaliable the last month. Such a bad month to be gone for a newsreporter eh? ;)

I'll be back in a couple of days if everything goes according to plan, and we'll see what happens then; I already have a few things in planning.

If anyone else feel like writing newsstories, either "freelance" or as part of our newsteam, drop me a PM and we'll talk about it!

PS: Marie's stories are a refreshing break from the everyday EU. Its well-written and creative, and I'd be a fool if I didn't invite her on the team. :) The front page isn't just for news, but also entertainment; and it might not have looked wrong at all to you, Serica, if there was news on the frontpage too! And the lack thereof is now my foult, so don't attack her. Thanks ;)

To OP, if you really want NEWS, then how about if you write them yourself :) ?

I think I can echo this part of what ....

Marie, Creativity can never be valued enough! I am sure there are a lot of people enjoying to read your stories! It shows great dedication and also a special energy that you spent your free time to entertain the Entropian Community! Not everything needs to be hot-news - though I agree - a mix would be good!

I would be willing to do it.

In EU there are all kinds of big events that happen and people know about them but they want to read more. Furthermore, noobs don’t really know where to look to find this kind of info. When I was a nub back in 2005 the EF new stories and various related content was a big help to me. The influx of new players has already begun which means we need to get serious about things again. If EF doesnt then someone else on another site will.

That aside, this is a "community forum" and there is all kinds of community news happening all of the time that people don’t know about. These things are no less important and they deserve to be covered.

Just off the top of my head two things come to mind that would interest a lot of people, for example Menace To Society has now gotten a lot more serious about building their subsidiary society Warning To Society. Many people who know about these socs are curious about them, others don’t even know W2S is a subsidiary of M2S. The WildD3amons have made a new dedicated mining focused society augmented by crafters. Not many people know about this but a lot would be interested in learning more.

Then what about all of the other societies that have news? The Brainstormers just hit their 2nd anniversary... who are the Brainstormers? I sure as hell don’t know, which is my point. We should be putting the spotlight on various things in the community (not just societies) that way people can learn more.

In life success breeds success and the same is true in EU but all we hear about is the negative things in this game. There are lots of positive things and we need to get those things out there. We need a team of people focusing on both the hard news of EU and also on the social news. Successful societies should get the spotlight, the same is true with successful event promoters and all kinds of other things.

With as fast as I type, I could easily kick out 1 article per week and I would be very interested in covering the social aspects of EU since that is already my main focus in game.

Reactions: Wed
I would be willing to do it.

In EU there are all kinds of big events that happen and people know about them but they want to read more. Furthermore, noobs don’t really know where to look to find this kind of info. When I was a nub back in 2005 the EF new stories and various related content was a big help to me. The influx of new players has already begun which means we need to get serious about things again. If EF doesnt then someone else on another site will.

That aside, this is a "community forum" and there is all kinds of community news happening all of the time that people don’t know about. These things are no less important and they deserve to be covered.

Just off the top of my head two things come to mind that would interest a lot of people, for example Menace To Society has now gotten a lot more serious about building their subsidiary society Warning To Society. Many people who know about these socs are curious about them, others don’t even know W2S is a subsidiary of M2S. The WildD3amons have made a new dedicated mining focused society augmented by crafters. Not many people know about this but a lot would be interested in learning more.

Then what about all of the other societies that have news? The Brainstormers just hit their 2nd anniversary... who are the Brainstormers? I sure as hell don’t know, which is my point. We should be putting the spotlight on various things in the community (not just societies) that way people can learn more.

In life success breeds success and the same is true in EU but all we hear about is the negative things in this game. There are lots of positive things and we need to get those things out there. We need a team of people focusing on both the hard news of EU and also on the social news. Successful societies should get the spotlight, the same is true with successful event promoters and all kinds of other things.

With as fast as I type, I could easily kick out 1 article per week and I would be very interested in covering the social aspects of EU since that is already my main focus in game.

And I For one know you can do it.

Back