Question: Please help with building a new PC

I can think of a Good reason NOT to ship computer parts overseas Via the options available @ Newegg. Those carriers Do have a bad Rep when it comes to breaking stuff in International shipping. Last thing u want is you New PC part arriving DOA due to damage during shipping. Hard disks always Has the Biggest Risk for that. Newegg knows that. they will replace items if its inside the US broken on arrival. Another is Currency Exchange Rates from and to the US. as well as taxes.

Then how come ebay can ship items from all around the world to me? lol.. The only difference is that the people selling the stuff on ebay aren't calling themselves a company.. There just.. people lol. (Although many on ebay do give themselves store names and whatnot lol.)

And US to Canada isn't overseas :p.

Yeah I know.. But like. If you pay with Paypal for instance.. That's direct money.. The item is now payed for 100%.. Plus shipping across the border price.

Shouldn't it be shipped just like any other package sent from a firend?

Stupid laws.
You have to remember that a lot of this is mfg'd in Taiwan, China, Vietnam, India, etc.
If I import a bunch of it from there, I pay import fees for that. Now, if I export to another country, I pay fees for that, and taxes to the import country, which I have to collect from the buyer and manage. I then have to have additional employees to manage all the import-export laws and taxes and all that. For the margin profit in this market, it doesn't do me any good if I spend my margin paying someone to keep track of all that, when there is probably someone in those other countries who is competing with me, and they only have to ship locally. Then to deal with the RMA issues across borders is another issue, and probably another employee eating up my profits.
I then have to raise prices to get profit, but now the competitors in the other countries are selling for less than I can, and I have no business in those countries, anymore, and have to fire those employees.

Then how come ebay can ship items from all around the world to me? lol.. The only difference is that the people selling the stuff on ebay aren't calling themselves a company.. There just.. people lol. (Although many on ebay do give themselves store names and whatnot lol.)

And US to Canada isn't overseas :p.

First off, eBay doesn't ship anything. Each vendor must manage their own inventory and shipping. The buyer pays the shipping. The buyer is responsible for the VAT and the like.

And if you receive a bad item, you must deal with the return and all that, yourself, and you are responsible for getting recompense.

BTW, Shipping between US and Canada is a bigger PIA that shipping to Europe.

figuring evrything out for yourselve is half the fun of building your own system. imo

First off, eBay doesn't ship anything. Each vendor must manage their own inventory and shipping. The buyer pays the shipping. The buyer is responsible for the VAT and the like.

And if you receive a bad item, you must deal with the return and all that, yourself, and you are responsible for getting recompense.

BTW, Shipping between US and Canada is a bigger PIA that shipping to Europe.

Yeah I know that.. I shouldn't have worded it like that lol..

And yeah it is a PIA between US and Canada... It's amazing how much stuff.. "gets lost" in transit...

You know cause boxes have legs and like to run away from mail men right? lol <_<...

Cool thread, i wont add to all the technical info as Koister seems to be doing a good job :D

I will however say, shop around

www.dabs.com
www.scan.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk

Oveclockers are the most professional out of the 3 and have second to none customer service, just make sure you get all you want from them in one order as the delivery charges are quite high, they stock a lot of kit but tend to not stock a lot of the really chep stuff which is a + point.

Dabs usualy beat Overclockers on price with most components except GPU's and their delivery is cheaper, they also have a better filtering system when finding the product you need on the site. However they are not as helpful and returns can be a hassle.

Scan is always recomended to me but i have purchased little from them.

Check them out before ordering your kit and Good Luck with it :)

hmm...i don't understand what this is saying lol :ahh:.... they could make an easy step by step guide for ppl like me sheesh :laugh:

A ton of stuff you don't need to read on the page :p

Just this:

"Enabling PAE

To enable PAE:

•Locate the Boot.ini file, which is typically in the root folder (for example, C:/) and remove its Read-Only and Hidden attributes.

•Open the Boot.ini file with a text editor, and then add the /PAE parameter to the ARC path, as shown in the following example:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
\WINNT="Windows ???? Datacenter Server" /PAE /basevideo /sos

•On the File menu, click Save.

•Restore the Read-Only attribute to the Boot.ini file."

:confused: hmm... i cannot find the boot.ini file even after searching hidden and system files

:confused: hmm... i cannot find the boot.ini file even after searching hidden and system files

Go to Tools>Folder Options

View Tab. And uncheck "Hide protected system files"

ah lol, thanks...dont think i've noticed that one before right now to give it a go

You prolly have to go into folderoptions and remove the check at "Hide protected operating system files(recomended)" before you will see it using explorer..

Doh! I was late..

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This is the boot file atm.

where abouts should i add this:
then add the /PAE parameter to the ARC path, as shown in the following example:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /PAE /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This is the boot file atm.

where abouts should i add this:
then add the /PAE parameter to the ARC path, as shown in the following example:

I edited it for you.

Ok thankyou very much for all the help :)

Back