PR: Participate In The War Over Oil

i really dont think that the "go to the oil rig to get free peds!" type of stuff is great for newbies

actually, i guess its aimed for new players and especially for those this is total nonsense

back in the past there was this annoying help message already, like:"to get peds you can find fruits, sweat or go to the oil rig", what a nonsense

but lets even assume newbies get in there

how many newbies will actually be able to get the oil +get a use of it, compared to sweating/fruiting

advertising this as actual alternative is fairly bad imo
sending cattle to the slaughterhouse
they either get shot and quit or they quit because they didnt even see some oil after trying for hours/days
i bet a very few amount of them will think "great, lets deposit 40 000$ for equipment so i can blast the jerks away to get my 10 ped of oil per hour"

but maybe thats just me

cool picture tho

BS

Nice ad campaign. Too I'm just one of the fodder. Even if you aren't It didn't seem worth it yesterday. Ubers had to have been killing 10 noobs a min.. who knows. If you get 4 ped every 10 mins or so maybe even five. You might make 1 ped after you spend on ammo wasting noobs. I would make more hunting chirpys. If you are new or never played this game, this ad is a freaking JOKE. You have almost NO chance of getting oil. Might as well collect dung.
It's fun to try, but I don't think it'll ever happen (for me at least)
maybe after spending an hour or two or going everyday I might get a 4ped find... wow really worth that effort. Everyone calls me a complainer. Maybe I am, but when you see an ad like this geared towards new players.... it's not even funny.

i really dont think that the "go to the oil rig to get free peds!" type of stuff is great for newbies

actually, i guess its aimed for new players and especially for those this is total nonsense

back in the past there was this annoying help message already, like:"to get peds you can find fruits, sweat or go to the oil rig", what a nonsense

but lets even assume newbies get in there

how many newbies will actually be able to get the oil +get a use of it, compared to sweating/fruiting

advertising this as actual alternative is fairly bad imo
sending cattle to the slaughterhouse
they either get shot and quit or they quit because they didnt even see some oil after trying for hours/days
i bet a very few amount of them will think "great, lets deposit 40 000$ for equipment so i can blast the jerks away to get my 10 ped of oil per hour"

but maybe thats just me

cool picture tho

Ahh I agree. I don't mind advertising it as a neat feature of PC, but definately not as a feature suitable for new players.

Saying that, I do quite enjoy the game of "how close can you get to the oil pump when the rig is closed". With all the obsticals, and some sneaky tactics, you can actually get kind of close sometimes. Though getting there at the right time, and managing to pick up the oil is bordering on impossible.

Lol total bs.. What chance does someone who joins today have of going and getting oil. When will FPC drop the ridiculous 'PLAY AND GET FREE MONEY!!!' stuff. If it attracts anyone they will just become disenchanted very quickly when they see its lies.

While I do agree that this is BS mostly. I had fun trying to get to the rig as a noob.

Also I am confused is their a non player faction now like the RX units were?

1-wastelanders.jpg

That one, and three others will be released as wallpapers this week (and in several different sizes:tiphat:)
Nice, new wallpaper :D

I suppose it depends who is holding the rig, and what their ultimate goal is...

Yesterday, plenty of newer players had opportunity to get oil... I think the more uber crowd were having more fun killing each other and defending the n00bs to worry about the oil. The new rig area is definitely a PKers playground, and I think that's why a lot of the players are going there now.... screw the oil, lets have some fun!!!

On a personal note, I stood behind a container, watching the action for a good 45 mins or so. Plenty of ppl had opportunity to kill me, even came to where I was... but they were having more fun killing each other, so didn't bother with me.

Also... for those who haven't been to the rig... and I am talking directly at the rig, not just seeing it on your screen, radar distance is very deceptive now. A group of well organized players could potentially draw the rig guards away, and even off radar from the rig... it's about timing and coordination. ;)

We still need one in lootable PvP...

That one, and three others will be released as wallpapers this week (and in several different sizes:tiphat:)

hey Frank nice picture:

now insteed to loose your time to make this super nice art why you don t take a programmer and disable the radar in the PVP?????

This will allow players not ubers, not super high depositors, no PE players, to organize them in team, and use the abandoned stuff around the poump to make some imboscade and more important, some that u really dint understood there, THIS WILL IMPROUVE THE FUN .

thx for attention

ps still Entropiabay is not listen in Calypso webpage: why?

didn't that magam fellow do well at the rig for a time, I remember him not shooting anyone.

Planet Calypso opens the Oil Rig and gives out free money

Originally Posted Here

Will the wastelanders be there as a "standing element" (well practically from time to time - though maybe not giving out bounties)? Or will maybe the human players be replaced by some sort of bots (mutants) that fight approximately like humans? (ie long range aggro, firearms)

just finishing off my pK armour then im coming for you Akon pew pew pew :sniper:

..... and your little friend too :cool:

Nice ad campaign. Too I'm just one of the fodder. Even if you aren't It didn't seem worth it yesterday. Ubers had to have been killing 10 noobs a min.. who knows. If you get 4 ped every 10 mins or so maybe even five. You might make 1 ped after you spend on ammo wasting noobs. I would make more hunting chirpys. If you are new or never played this game, this ad is a freaking JOKE. You have almost NO chance of getting oil. Might as well collect dung.
It's fun to try, but I don't think it'll ever happen (for me at least)
maybe after spending an hour or two or going everyday I might get a 4ped find... wow really worth that effort. Everyone calls me a complainer. Maybe I am, but when you see an ad like this geared towards new players.... it's not even funny.

they're not doing it for the oil, many don't ever collect it. Its for the brag factor 'We held the rig"

I can't wait to hear the advice given to the new arrivals asking how to get to the rig.

Some of you are missing the point. No one ever said that you could join the game and go grab oil the next day. But if you sign up, start building your avatar, within a few months you can be strong enough to help a team take the rig.

Challenges can be more than something that you can complete this week. And the better challenges are sometimes ones that take you a while to achieve. And it becomes that much more gratifying when that challenge is finally met.

I've been in-game for a year but am really just a noob in PVP. But I have had more fun in PVP areas shooting (and being shot) than anywhere else in the game. Why not advertise a little of that to the outside world?

I read a lot of posts saying how bullcrap it is promising free oil to n00bies.

Keep in mind, today's n00bies are tomorrows PKers.

Incentives like this can wet the appetite of a few players who are willing to put the effort into growing their PK skills/equipment so that some day holding the rig is a real option for them.

I remember running into a complete n00bie 2 years ago. Scrawny little tyke who was just getting started. Tried his hand at some PVP contests and caught the bug.

Maybe you've heard of him. His name is Akon.

Excellent piece of recycling... a press release acting like they are announcing something totally new, while it just covers a feature returned.

This sounds cynical, and I am sure there is some cynism in it, but I do think this is an excellent piece of PR work. This is definately going to drag in a bunch of newbies.

One thing though... US$ 9000 a year...? That's US$ 24,65 per day, so a bit over 10 PED an hour to be gained. I wonder how much people spend on trying to get it :D

Excellent piece of recycling... a press release acting like they are announcing something totally new, while it just covers a feature returned.

This sounds cynical, and I am sure there is some cynism in it, but I do think this is an excellent piece of PR work. This is definately going to drag in a bunch of newbies.

One thing though... US$ 9000 a year...? That's US$ 24,65 per day, so a bit over 10 PED an hour to be gained. I wonder how much people spend on trying to get it :D

Well pre-VU, Belza spent a whole lot of time there to get his shadow or at least half pay for it.

They say in the end of the news:
The good news is that once they have reached the Ashi Outpost, near the Oil Rig, and added it to a teleporter map, they can use it to make quick raids on the Oil Rig and make some real money. Remember, when going to the rig go in heavy and make each shot count, then get out alive.

I was convinced that this means that if you die in pvp you will lose all oil you got there. That would make things interesting for all. Would be not lootable area, but the oil you lose, goes back to rig so one can actually get nice globals at times there.

Also, the pk action would become a lot more spiced by the fact that if you stay around too much, you can loose all you got. So ubers that have some oil, would not risk waiting around too much, and they would TP away, letting rig open for other people for short period of times.

The fact that you can pick oil and just keep it is not fair. This place is supposed to be in a place where thieves and wild life is roaming and you can lose what you get there if you are not strong or lucky.

if its in 100's of drops then it's not so bad, people might be able to get some but if its in 4-5ped drops then people are going to get tired of it really quickly. Especially if they haven't learnt to assign the pick up action to a key.

As noob I did try to get to the rig following all those really helpful (but out of date even then) guides and got stuck at an outpost surrounded by atrax with no armor, fap or weapon. Atleast the risk of that happening is a lot lower, I can only think of one outpost on Eudoria that will collect noobs that way now.

For many reasons there should be more then one oil rig on Calpyso

I hope that the wastelanders become a feature and teach the "ubers" who close the rig what real massive health and weaponry is all about.

The zone isn't lootable...so you die and realise that MA publicity isn't to be taken literally...it's advertising hype. Nice graphics BTW. ;)

t

Free? It's only free if you walk to the rig, don't earn any decay, and are unopposed while you are there, and if your time is worthless to you.
People who enjoy that place spend more on ammo and decay than they ever recoup from oil! Maybe the rig should occasionally spit up a nice oil byproduct like ruga.

This isn't exactly accurate, when you consider the fact that the entire Oil Rig area has been redesigned from the ground up. This particular oil rig has never existed before, as far as I know.

I remember feeling very disappointed when I finally made it out to the "oil rig" in VU9.4. I wanted to laugh at the puny rig and berms.

I doubt that same feeling of disappointment would hit new users these days.

Free? It's only free if you walk to the rig, don't earn any decay, and are unopposed while you are there, and if your time is worthless to you.
People who enjoy that place spend more on ammo and decay than they ever recoup from oil! Maybe the rig should occasionally spit up a nice oil byproduct like ruga.

See this is exactly my point... people do spend more in ammo and decay at the rig then they recover from oil except for some rare scenarios where they go unopposed. Bottom line is that PvP is good entertainment, while some people think it’s a waste of ped, others love it and think there is no better way to spend it. In PvP, the skill of the human player often times trumps the skill and equipment of the other avatar. Take the lessons of the oil ring to lootable PvP and then you can start talking about profitable PvP. Even for people who don’t have skills as high as Phil does, PvP can be profitable in many cases.

The TT value of spent ammo gets cycled back into the loot system. PvP itself is the single biggest thing where people burn up lots of ammo without expecting anything in return from the loot system. I’m talking about the overall bigger picture of economic balance and loot balance in EU. The more PvP that happens in EU, the better the loot returns we get from all professions.

We need a 2nd rig, then a 3rd rig, and then a 4th rig, all of Amethera should be open non-lootable PvP like it used to be.

You guys want better loot? We need more PvP action in EU. Not only do we need more PvP venues but we also need a renewed overall focus on PvP on all skill and equipment levels.

I was at rig today and it was over an hr and I didn't see one drop of oil. Not to mention the several server crashes.

See this is exactly my point... people do spend more in ammo and decay at the rig then they recover from oil except for some rare scenarios where they go unopposed. Bottom line is that PvP is good entertainment, while some people think it’s a waste of ped, others love it and think there is no better way to spend it. In PvP, the skill of the human player often times trumps the skill and equipment of the other avatar. Take the lessons of the oil ring to lootable PvP and then you can start talking about profitable PvP. Even for people who don’t have skills as high as Phil does, PvP can be profitable in many cases.

The TT value of spent ammo gets cycled back into the loot system. PvP itself is the single biggest thing where people burn up lots of ammo without expecting anything in return from the loot system. I’m talking about the overall bigger picture of economic balance and loot balance in EU. The more PvP that happens in EU, the better the loot returns we get from all professions.

We need a 2nd rig, then a 3rd rig, and then a 4th rig, all of Amethera should be open non-lootable PvP like it used to be.

You guys want better loot? We need more PvP action in EU. Not only do we need more PvP venues but we also need a renewed overall focus on PvP on all skill and equipment levels.

I can't help but kind of agree. Would be nice if there were different rig type map features each with their own unique style. EU has great PvP potential (especially since it is a feature that doesn't depend on managing loot too much), and it should be made to live up to it.

9000/year?

mmm with a simple math is just 2$/hour hahahah is not f. worth it

mmm with a simple math is just 2$/hour hahahah is not f. worth it

I don’t know of anyone who goes to the rig looking to make a living from it. The rig is fun, PvP is fun, watching your victims whine about dying is priceless.

It’s hard to put a price on fun

...the oil just gets people to go to the rig

Back