PvP arenas for Calypso?

I dislike PVP in this game mainly because it's not about real life skill, it's about who has the biggest ped wallet (and thus bought skills)
If PVP arena's would be organised so that comparable skilled ppl (same hp/dodge)would fight eachother with comparable weapons (same dmg/sec), then it would receive my blessing. The boxing event is organised like this. But it's probably another " look at me i chipped 50k dollars into my avatar and now I am the king of the arena with my 300 hp" kind of thing.
Until the day they make the change from bought skill to real skill (being able to really dodge bullets, hide behind walls, being the faster shooter) I will avoid any pvp like the plague, but you could add me in steam, the names spawnbootcamp and try if you could kill me in counterstrike, halflife deathmatch or crysis 2.

The current Mindark focus on this bogey pvp (it's really poor player loses to rich player) is something I detest and I hope they realise MOST players in this game aren't here because of pvp.

trying to end positive by giving a solution:

what about wearing some sort of suit that decays and one weapon you can buy in this arena.
if the suit is completely decayed you blowup. This way everybody is the same and hp doesn't matter. and with only one type of gun we all do the same damage.. if it was organised like that, then i will like it.

Last edited:
Remember that Kim is on the Calypso team, not the Platform team, and its the Platform team making the old systems

OK, but they can force MA to do so ! and caly is own by MA, if i be right. :)

what about wearing some sort of suit that decays and one weapon you can buy in this arena.
if the suit is completely decayed you blowup. This way everybody is the same and hp doesn't matter. and with only one type of gun we all do the same damage.. if it was organised like that, then i will like it.

Oh that would be cool :D

And headshot does 2x dmg? ^^

pvp forts, pvp space, pvp octagon expansion..

a lot of people arent really all that interested in pvp.

I'm glad for the variety, but it is only a small percentage of players that even want to go in pvp.

The beacons are a much more welcome bit of news

Some things, like fort events, can be fun. Lesser ammo consuption, nice mix with people, options that takes down advantages with uberarmor/uberfaps, different kind of rules, when you die you (usually) get sent back to your "home fort".

As for underground umbranoid city, I don't want to hunt in an area where I get shot in my back all the time. Especially not by people with shadow and foerippers (which probably is going to happen if it's a dedicated pvp zone). During the robot event at Solfais Crater, most of the time it worked ok. Some accidently friendly fire - but then there were a couple of "rotten eggs" who either saw a chance to easily get to the killing spree list (as their only chance) and others (pracitcally untouchable in their shadow sets) who used the hunters trying to kill the huge regen mobs as LG target practice and to get on top of the HOF list. Luckily for that location, revival was just through the door so it wasn't any major problem (except when I got kille 3 times in a row by same person, and meanwhile the mulciber got killed that had a 3k ped HOF).

I dislike PVP in this game mainly because it's not about real life skill, it's about who has the biggest ped wallet (and thus bought skills)
If PVP arena's would be organised so that comparable skilled ppl (same hp/dodge)would fight eachother with comparable weapons (same dmg/sec), then it would receive my blessing. The boxing event is organised like this. But it's probably another " look at me i chipped 50k dollars into my avatar and now I am the king of the arena with my 300 hp" kind of thing.
Until the day they make the change from bought skill to real skill (being able to really dodge bullets, hide behind walls, being the faster shooter) I will avoid any pvp like the plague, but you could add me in steam, the names spawnbootcamp and try if you could kill me in counterstrike, halflife deathmatch or crysis 2.

The current Mindark focus on this bogey pvp (it's really poor player loses to rich player) is something I detest and I hope they realise MOST players in this game aren't here because of pvp.

trying to end positive by giving a solution:

You one of a man type who says : BE ALL EQUAL !!! NO MONEY DEPOSIT IN GAMES !!! DEPOSITER IS EVIL OR NOOB !!!!.

So dont live in ferry tail's . Game is interesting because you can reach ideality in game (pvp too).

But i think one of MindArk Dev team thinks like you :) i think that who made a space :) (dasy coldfinger sayd : I like being in pace because i am equal to suck players as Star, because soes not matter if you play 5 yers non stop or 1 month, you are equal each other because after ship crash you have 10 hp. ( so skills is matters in space)

I'm no fan of PvP so here's a couple of ideas for your Arena.

1. Create a team sport, maybe a soccer/rugby hybrid of, say 8-a-side, with the aim to score goals.

2. Create a racing car track, with twists, turns, straights, loops, jumps and other assult course features.
Edit, in other words make the track more interesting that the one's on the asteroid and the other one on Next Island.

7. Big avatar head, small tanks - texture exploit ( Johny Rony Makarony dreams)
MA probably already knows how you are doing it, no worries.
And you are a certified exploiter.

I Stumbled across this thread by accident but I have to agree with some of the posters on it.. PVP is over rated

But I did notice the interest in other types of events.

Here is a thread I started Perhaps this is something more appealing.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...0-Sports-Sporting-teams-Grand-Stands-Stadiums

Interesting?

I worked in one of online game servers developers team .And i understood one thing :
PVP is only one type of game that does not need to update all time, people makes game interesting by themselves.

why Ncsoft made Aion instead of leaving Lineage ? why wow made pvp servers ? Because in long time evolution all mmo rpg games gets old and not interesting, people is getting tired of killing same type Npc, getting tired in skilling up when they reached max levels. Pvp game will never get old, beacause your opponent makes it interesting.
Remember Starcraft, Counter- strike, quake. There are still quake 1 servers that has hundreds of players even there is 10 years without updates.

Upgrading a PVP in EU is one of most worth thing to attract new players to game, which is verry needed now.

Resolution : Mosto popular games ir MMO rpg online games is PVP games.

MA probably already knows how you are doing it, no worries.
And you are a certified exploiter.

Ah you meant finding your nicely colored tank fixed size and making it equal to 0 ? never done that. Probably it is not possible :)

Hmm let me dig out some old thread i made:

Do you like the idea ?

so to say it's just a suggestion/idea :). One thing i miss in EU is the lack of movement abilities. For that im getting a bit jealous on characters ( gameplaywise ) in other games. But i think it could also work in a cry2 environment.
Would you like more PvP action without shooting repetative in the ring ? No this idea shall not replace the recent PvP systems, but add another one as an addition

All who know games like Jade Empire might imagine what i mean when i'm telling from nice capabilities of avatar movements in combat.
The problem in EU is, such a system doing damage without costs is not possible. ( At least in Hunting )
But there could be an addition. A fighting arena. New Talents added to the Avatar. Like powerful punches and special movements which can be skilled further. The point is these techniques can just be used in Special Arena areas at PvP combat. So not possible to
get loot from that activity.

There could be big Talent Trees with different Techniques or even crafted weapons. The Talent tree can be expanded with collectable
talent marks or technique scrolls ( or their Sci-Fi equivalent ) These can be prizes of the upcoming mission system, can be enhanced by
by addition marks... Much possiblilities. How can such a system be useful to EU ?
1. Components of it can be created by players who mastered a special talent
2. Componets of the system like Special PvP weapons could be crafted components
3. Some Mission could have an endboss in a dungeon where you can win your talent. To
get to the boss you have to
kill mobs by regular activity without loot like it was in beacon missions before
4. Skills and attributes are needed to become powerful and are requirements for powerful
techniques, but can't gained by doing it.
so to become really powerful Player have also to participate standard üprofessions to
gain skills, Agi,Strentgh, Even stamina could have a place in such a system
5. Player based events - Rentable Arenas for events do exist as well as training Arenas.
Here players can compete and win prizes for a participation fee ( to the person who
helds the event )
6. League and ranking fights with a global ranking list ( competition is allways a good
motivator )
7. Suddenly EU would attract ppl with a totally different player profile. More action related
activity players
8. Players who are on low funds due to bad luck in main professions could use the activity
for free gameplay until their depo day comes back
so it keeps them playing although they can't participate their main profession. = Less
frustration for those players
9. When player start they could have something like 3 basic techniques like basic kick,
basic punch and basic block once they reached high level they have awesome
eyecandy Martial Arts techniques achieved ( Attracts the collector instinct )

Would you like such a system ? Keep in mind this is a quick idea draft. So feel free to discuss :)

Kind regards

...your idea sounds familliar. Hmm even instances sounds familliar. I like it. The other suggestions still stand :) and i throw it into the discussion.

BR

Last edited:
WHAT?! FIX?! No we need MOAR CONTENT! Who cares if it doesn't work correctly. We will just add new features to make people forget the fact that they are broken. :rolleyes:

-Bemo-

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The token from arena smell from here the bug abuse, player paying other to get kill and things like that + always same folk who will get the reward...

I am more for beacon mission back , but i have some special wish:

Make some freaking labyrinth underground or in some space ship ... but where the wall move at everytime we get in...
What make last a simple game like diablo was the fact that every singel game was diferent due to fact that wall was changing...

Beacon mission , after some month became boring.i wish the decor to move , and to make every mission a new discover of the place , a thrilling adventure where we dont know what will happen.

Please , work on removing the boreness of EU.
Many part of game got with time slower (avatar , weapon reaload , fap reaload , skill , mobs bigger health...)that EU is more a place to sleep than to play.
I wish the thrill come back.

I've been playing around with the idea of building some kind of a competitive pvp arena system for Calypso where players could compete for PvP tokens that in turn could be used to purchase items. Is this something you would like to see and if so do you have any suggestions that could help?

Cheers

Hmm so to be able to purcase items one will be forced to kill other players?
Forcing pking in EU continue.
I dont like.

I'm not a big fan of PvP so I probably won't go to that part of the planet often, if at all.

But I would love to go on a beacon like mission / quest to Akbal-Cimi and try to infiltrate the various layers of the robot command. Sorta like they have screwed with us enough!!! time to give some back.

Maybe the beacon could begin with actually hijacking a robot mother ship and once over taken would warp back to Akbal-Cimi and allow tp to the command centers to do the actual mission. ummm ... getting back to home planet, haven't gotten that far in my thinks yet :p Maybe successful completing the Akbal-Cimi mission / quest gets you back to the hijacked MS and then someplace safe. Lame huh?

On the otherside of that I was sort of suprised that the mobs we meet in space weren't robots.

back on topic .. I'm sure PvP is great fun for those that play for that reason but for those of us that don't PvP is becoming unquestionably unavoidable. imho

Beacon mission , after some month became boring.

how many did you do? I did about twenty and felt I could do about 20k more :)) It's not only killing - it's also the looting :silly2:

how many did you do? I did about twenty and felt I could do about 20k more :)) It's not only killing - it's also the looting :silly2:

And finding and opening the right boxes..timing it, so all can exit before the counter runs out, teamwork, especially if you are going with ppl who have never been in a robot spaceship before.

I'm also exploring the notion of using the fort event system for this, although in a bit of a modified form. Im planning for more of a power struggle arena rather than the deathmatch type.

Im thinking of something abit more elaborate than the octagons, for example an underground umbranoid city where theres a large fighting pit or something along those lines.

That would be Cool!!!!...and maybe places to duck behind and shoot from..and safety zones maybe..:ahh::yay:

Hope to see all the olg stuff be back before end of the year 2011 as you told os that would be back before the end of year 2010 and then before the end of year 2011.

So what will be next 2012.??? Because most players wants that but only a few wants pvp.:wise:

Hmm so to be able to purcase items one will be forced to kill other players?
Forcing pking in EU continue.
I dont like.

But its better that we can purcase it now then some few favorites gets it in theres loot.:)

I haven't read all the replies, so I haven't the foggiest notion what others have suggested.

I, for one, am not much into participating in PvP, but if I could watch a PvP event (not octagon... that's boring to watch) from a safe zone, I'd be more inclined to stay and enjoy.

Picture it... multiple players, all struggling for survival. The audience watching their struggle from big screens, where cameras follow their every move. Wait... I think I have seen this before..... oh, yeah, that's Running Man. Too complicated?

Okay, so, how about, as you mentioned, some underground system with a BIG fighting pit... not just a pit, mind you, but one with buildings, obstacles,, etc... where viewers can watch from safe zones on platforms around the edge of the pit... larg enough so you cannot see all the action from a single platform, though... so, yeah, bigger than radar range, but not HUGE.

So, anyway... how about you have an underground roadway, a side exit in (only one) that can also serve as a race track.. yeah, we got a few "tracks" on Calypso, but none where you can be absolutely certain nobody cheats.

heck, might even have part of the race track run through a PvP area, where people can watch and shoot from above? :cool:

I would like to see the old oil rig :), far from any outposts. And without vehicles. Maybe add oil globals/hofs where it drops 100x more oil at once. And yea please remove autoaim in pvp.

because its always same...so repetitive so boring...

Make it like diablo , with random decord , and you will not get bored any soon.

imagine a cave with random way,andrandom mobs that you have to explore in team , specially with new voice feature...i tell you this must be the fun :)

Make it like diablo , with random decord , and you will not get bored any soon.

imagine a cave with random way,andrandom mobs that you have to explore in team , specially with new voice feature...i tell you this must be the fun :)

Well it was a bit random? I mean the floors came in different orders at least if I remember correctly? I never learned to navigate that damn maze...

Agree with Eto... after severals, you know each level and know exactly where to go...
Mob was also quite similar (depending on beacon number)...
You are able to easily predict what kind of team you need to succeed

It would be fun if you are not able to really predict what mob/robots you'll find, where the treasure are located etc...
Maybe just a difficulty level indication in order to avoid going in full warlock beacon with only low level players!

Kim, something that could be nice is to have some arena where some high level stuff is available but usable only in the arena... I can imagine a place where very high DPS rocket launcher can be usable ... or why not Marco's gun ;-)
for instance: two team can battle in an arena and somewhere is hidden a big gun that allow a team to kill every opponents

Maybe just a difficulty level indication in order to avoid going in full warlock beacon with only low level players!

Different TT depending on difficulty level, like before, in my opinion :)

Im planning for more of a power struggle arena rather than the deathmatch type.

Well we have:
Player vs player - short intense person vs person combats: pvp3/pvp4
Ad-hoc teamwork paying out as long as team remains tight - Oil rig
High level power-struggle and alliance teamwork - land grab
Poor man's pvp arena (optional if you're rich enough) - space

Back