Questions - Alf Svensson Interview

Maybe, I wouldnt have a clue since im such a pc noob.
But even then with CE2 I will need to get a better rig anyway.

It's two different things to be honest. Yes the core engine has a higher specification, but credibly the GameBryo engine shouldn't need much in the way in specifications at all but we still get serious graphics lag when there are more then 5 mobs on the screen at one time (ok, a slight exaggeration try 30-40 Atrax at the Park.)

I put this down to some deficiency in the engine which should hopefully be addressed with the new engine, which will then put the grunt requirements elsewhere in the engine.

Something else I was wondering if the would be possible to realign some of the hit boxes for some mobs that you can alwats see the healthbar in FP mode.

Something I truely hope will be sorted in the transition. In fact I would like better 3rd person support so that any 'visible' portion of a mob becomes the centre of focus when using the "move to target when interacting" mode as opposed to now where you will shoot at the peak of a hill instead of the mob even though the mob is visible. Also, it would be nice, when in 3rd person mode, if the avatar was made to move close until the avatar actually has line of sight when using the move to target option too.

What real life and fictional sources have inspired the style and structure of Calypso?

Are there any nuances of your vision that you have been unable to capture with Gamebryo that will be possible with CE2?

What's your favorite part about the capabilities CE2? Your least favorite?

a Suggestion Red is to use Skype for the Interview that way it will be easier to Record from on your system.

Also 2 questions for Alf.
When will the Far Northern areas and Far Eastern areas of Amethera Continent that are Currently closed be opened up to the Players?

The Description of Guran Dall Camp South of Cape Corinth hints to a "Third Continent" on Calypso Can you give us any information on this?

What was your Most Memorable Programing Glitch in the time that you have worked at MA?

What is your Favorite Mob and City/Area In EU?

Okay this may be more of a developers issue, buut:

1. What will happen with Hadesheim in the future? Is it going to be upgraded and made more attractive?

Rolf @ all the questions that even MA cant answer x)

So, what about the the Allophyl Rider ? What about Death Metal ? Go Go Go Gorilla !

Will avatars be able to smile and frown again? Will we be able to show emotion?

Will the creatures of the EU get a cryengine makeover?

Will the weapons and other items get a cryengine makeover?

Will there be more textures for weapons and items, to prevent the constant identical looking ones? Like the Vivo and FAP series...

Rolf @ all the questions that even MA cant answer x)

So, what about the the Allophyl Rider ? What about Death Metal ? Go Go Go Gorilla !

I'll be interviewing Alf next week silly... David wasn't the one in a death metal band ;)

I have another one.

Some of the more beautiful vistas on Calypso are due to a permanent skybox and lighting scenario. Including weather or day and night cycles as well as the makeover to CE2 would alter the beautiful places we remember. In addition, the visual experience of the Universe has changed significantly over time. Have you considered a Universe museum of sorts where one could go and see "retro Calypso" scenes from the past?

I'm sure the more juvenile would find the veritable strip show -- the "Umbras Over Time" exhibit -- very, em, titillating. ;)

Last edited:
More questions (you should put the ones you choose on the front page here too):

1. Will we get nicer looking water?

2. Will we get more weather? (would love a tundra where you can track people/mobs looking at their footsteps in the snow)

Don't think this is an Alf-question, but I guess you can use it in a future interview?:
3. Will creatures start behaving more realistic? They are kinda stiff right now...

I have a question for Alf.

At VU9.0 we all went through ava recreation as MA introduced new
graphics and paved the way for CE2 by making the avas CE2 compatible.
A similar change later took place for items, i.e furnitures, cloathing, armors and weapons.

So the question is; Will theese already "upgraded" things stay the same
come CE2 or are we in for another big change?

I have a question for Alf.

At VU9.0 we all went through ava recreation as MA introduced new
graphics and paved the way for CE2 by making the avas CE2 compatible.
A similar change later took place for items, i.e furnitures, cloathing, armors and weapons.

So the question is; Will theese already "upgraded" things stay the same
come CE2 or are we in for another big change?

I was actually thinking of a similair questions earlier today that I voiced to Kristy...

After showing her the CE2 graphics, I wondered if we would have to recreate our avatars again.

Didn't Marco or someone else say we wouldn't?

What hasn't he said?
I want it directly from the source for a change since the oppertunity
has presented itself.

Is the areas where a mob functions going to be readdressed?..

IE the 15 meter arm length of argos. Like how they can hit you from off screen when zoomed all the way back in 3rd person mode.

Or the "targetted"area on the mob so when you aim and shoot certain mobs the views dont go somewhere else.
IE I shot a mob in its head and the view recenters on its feet THEN shoots.. then I recenter on head and it recenters on feet then shoots.

Will the land features cause less lag now or will the adaptive terrain be even more gpu proc hog? IE the grass in New switz causing soo much lag I get still shots when hunting and not motion vid (super compy owners need not trash my system as this is the only place in EU I have this issue)

Lastly are there going to be more realistic clothing styles then the current "Gay man in Paris look" or the "5th avenue Hooker looks"?

I have a question you can ask.

Is this a good example of what a day in the life of Alf at work (MindArk) entails ? :D

breakout.jpg

or is this more of a correct depiction ?

robotwars.jpg

~ Sparkz

PS. Use the image names, he will know which is which ... 1st = Breakout, 2nd = Robotwars under the photoshop gallery on his site.

Last edited:
For god sake, Thumbnails!!!! :laugh:

For god sake, Thumbnails!!!! :laugh:

hehe sorry,
I was unable to thumb it as the images are directly from his gallery, not EF :D

~ Sparkz

It's fro said before... but..

Ask him where he got his ideas and inspiration from?

Hei Red...

Can you ask him if he know something more about these
fishes he have made? (found them on his website)

fishies.JPG

As you see other fishes are allready made... found them on this site!

And why was not these fishes implemeted along side with the Rippersnapper?

Last edited:
OK I think me and Mr McC. are thinking in the same line here but yeh I really wanted to ask him about this guy:

http://www.alfsvensson.com/allophylrider.jpg

There are some general questions on ideas and inspirations here but I always wanted to know about the Allo, its one of the most unique mob designs and almost a trademark for Calypso I would say. I've never seen anything even vaguely like it in my life so yeh...

1. questions about the Allo's and if you could get him to talk specifically about that sculpture (ie how did it come about? why was it made? sort of thing or why does the guy appear to be wearing medieval armour?) that would be great! :wtg:

I'd also like it if you could ask something along the lines of:

2. A lot of your art work is very dark/creepy (just look at his website to see what I mean). What do you think about the concept that parts of Entropia may evolve to be dark and creepy with mobs that are genuinely scary when they attack**. Is this the sort of thing you would like to do, or is likely ever to happen?

also a related question is:

3. Some of your art depicts cyborg/matrix style 'humans connected to machines' immagery. Are we ever likely to see hybrid organic/mechanic robots attacking Calypso? (<--- this would be cool :yay:)

Wistrel

**(for example the Ravenholm section of the Half life 2 game - scared the shit outta me and I was only WATCHING my friend play)

one more:

4. rumour has it (The Entropian) that certainly for a while you were a "lean mean one man planet creating machine" i.e. you pretty much did everything graphics wise in the past. If thats true, how the heck do you tackle a task of that size and magnitude? The enormity of having to create so much stuff must have been scary as hell.

and related:

5. What was the first stuff you ever created for Entropia? ie the first mobs the first areas/ buildings etc?

My question to Alf personaly is:

Being a designer i'm pretty much sure you live for work (at least most of designers do). Do you think it's a well payed profession?

Entropia related:

Will we ever be able to design our own clothes?

More here:

1. Are most elements of vegetation etc getting a redesign so they are as interactive as those in crysis (e.g. reflect moonlight, cast shadows dynamically, bend as you brush past them, 'swoosh' back behind you, react to bullets hitting them and have the ability to break) or will they appear as they always did?

and related...

2. Is Eudoria going to change much in its general feel? ie will buildings and particular notable scenes/views be totally unrecognisable or will they look familiar but prettier.

and finally....

3. What have you found to be the most awkward/difficult thing so far about working with sandbox2/cryengine? What do you like about it the most?

2. A lot of your art work is very dark/creepy (just look at his website to see what I mean). What do you think about the concept that parts of Entropia may evolve to be dark and creepy with mobs that are genuinely scary when they attack**. Is this the sort of thing you would like to do, or is likely ever to happen?

3. Some of your art depicts cyborg/matrix style 'humans connected to machines' immagery. Are we ever likely to see hybrid organic/mechanic robots attacking Calypso? (<--- this would be cool :yay:)

Wistrel

**(for example the Ravenholm section of the Half life 2 game - scared the shit outta me and I was only WATCHING my friend play)

I have to comment these questions ^^

2. I would also like to see this, as I asked earlier "is it likely to see creatures behave more lifelike in the future?"

3. My question related to this would be "is it likely that WE can become some "cyborg"-like people? :eek::rolleyes::D:D

I thought of a couple others yesterday when a hapless merp dropped a paladin harness:

Why did Paladin armor get uglified in the update, and will it be restored to its more white appearance befitting a Paladin sometime?

Do you like the older armor models or the new Power Rangers models better, and why?

I thought of a couple others yesterday when a hapless merp dropped a paladin harness:

Why did Paladin armor get uglified in the update, and will it be restored to its more white appearance befitting a Paladin sometime?

Do you like the older armor models or the new Power Rangers models better, and why?

Yeh... without going in to moan mode too much. I never really understood why they had to deliberately make the armours/clothes so different. I know I will be selling a lot of mine when I return to Calypso that I bought purely cause they looked good - now they don't, there is no point to owning them. :(

I don't think its a great idea for a question though unless it can be a little more constructive...

how about:

Q: Many armours and clothing types bear very little resemblance to their old look post vu9. What was the reasoning for such drastic changes to items that take their worth almost solely from their appearance?

I really preferred the Shogun before, too.

I don't think its a great idea for a question though unless it can be a little more constructive...

how about:

Q: Many armours and clothing types bear very little resemblance to their old look post vu9. What was the reasoning for such drastic changes to items that take their worth almost solely from their appearance?

There's a reason i'll never run for political office. :laugh: Very...diplomatic.

Back