RAM help for new PC i got...

Joker

Marauder
Society
BAHQ
yes i run Win XP... its 32bit... i got 8 gb of ram plugged in... but my PC properties say "3gb"

is there anyway i can increase the capacity it recognizes?

are there any programs to optimize this? other then Vista... how is win. 7? anything else?

i heard something about change some options in bios and boot.ini... any steps to do this would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance...

you need a 64 bit os to use more ram than 4 Gb.

Specs...
3.0 ghz quadcore...
8gb ram
ati HD 4870 x2... might run another later on... got a big enough power supply to run it...

theres a boot time variable, somethin liek bigmem /3gb which allows you to use the extra. but you wont actualy get to use it as your video memory counts in the 4GB limit, so its probably not worth the trouble.

correct but right now it only says 3... doesnt say 4 :(

your videocard is probably stealing the rest of the memory, Vista is using alot of memory to adress your hardware.

win.7 should be ok? i cant bring myself to use vista... i hate it... i payed extra on all my computers to use XP... most were free vista... win7 is currently free cause they are testing eh?

all windows 32 bit versions including windows 7 will report 3GB, because 4GB is the max they can use. If you will install the 64 bit version of XP/Vista/win7 it will report and use more memory than the 3GB

win.7 should be ok? i cant bring myself to use vista... i hate it... i payed extra on all my computers to use XP... most were free vista... win7 is currently free cause they are testing eh?

I dont know anything about Windows 7, I know its still in beta and thats enough for me. Never trust a beta OS, especially not from Microsoft.

xp 64 bit would do the job too...

win 7 is in beta stage but everyone says that it works well so maybe worth a try. Vista 64 bit works very well for me though.

There is no way, because windows 32-bit simply can not count more memory. More operating systems have this same 'disability', for instance DOS can not address more than 1MB of memory without help. It is a design-decision. So, no, it can not be changed, and even if there are work-arounds, they are more trouble than just getting and using a 64-bit version.

Also, if the operating system has more memory, it does not mean the applications can address more. So, even if you have 16GB of memory available for windows, Entropia can only use 2GB, because that is the size-limit in 32 bit programs. 64 bit versions can use more, but since most people use a 32 bit windows, even crytopia will only use up to 2GB

There is no way, because windows 32-bit simply can not count more memory. More operating systems have this same 'disability', for instance DOS can not address more than 1MB of memory without help. It is a design-decision. So, no, it can not be changed, and even if there are work-arounds, they are more trouble than just getting and using a 64-bit version.

Also, if the operating system has more memory, it does not mean the applications can address more. So, even if you have 16GB of memory available for windows, Entropia can only use 2GB, because that is the size-limit in 32 bit programs. 64 bit versions can use more, but since most people use a 32 bit windows, even crytopia will only use up to 2GB

ty i guess i will need to get some 64 bit operating system :) there is nothing greater then this atm eh?

Even though xp is reporting less than 4gb, it is using it. Its a known flaw in the os .But anything more than 4gb is wasted on 32 bit os, it just can't address it.

Back