Random reboot while browsing storage or chating.

Wally

Provider
Society
Calypso Thunderstruck
Pedro Wally Stormrage
Hi,

After I upgraded my video card from ATI Radeon 9200 to GeForce 6800 GT I have a strange random reboot problem in PE.
I have run out of options so I wonder if anyone have a clue about fixing this.

Facts:
Computer random reboots while in PE. Pinpointed relation to browsing storage or typing in chat. Now happened also in auction.

I upgraded video card. The problem appeared after upgrade, never happened before -> maybe video card compatibility problem?

Other intensive 3D games, like NFS, + benchmark applications, like 3D Mark 06 doesnt have any stability problems, PE is the only that makes troubles.

Tryed:
temperature -> temp max of card in full load is 85 dgr Celsius - coolers are clean in all computer, CPU max temp is 55 dgr Celsius in full load
drivers: all drivers in computer are WHQL certified and most current versions
tried also disabling AA -> temporary fix
tried disabling AGP fast writes -> no change
tried modifying AGP aperture, current 256 -> no change
tried conflict with SB Live! drivers, applied patch -> better sound -> no reboot fix
maybe power supply problem? power works in other other 3D games so....

Computer stats:

CPU: Intel P4 HT enabled @2.8 GHz not overclocked
MB: Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro 2 Intel 865PE chipset
RAM: 1 GB DDR400 in DualChannel configuration
VGA: Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT 256 MB DDR3 not overclocked
Sound: Creative SB Live! Value
HDD: WDC SATA Special Edition
PSU: 400W

nVidia drivers: ForceWare 83.40 WHQL certified (not released yet) - problem happened also with official released 81.98 drivers

Anyone have any thought about this? cause those reboots are driving me crazy.
I made a support on MA but they havent answered me yet.

I have the exact same problems, but mainly while clicking on items "info" buttons!
I just dont get why , so I hope someone will be able to answer your question :)

/Lady M

well , "nice" to see that this reboot thing happened also to other people, i feared a Hard Disk failure when it happened ( 2-3 times so far ) !!!

I feared also the worse as my computer before this upgrade was rocksolid.
Also the reboot is unusual, is comming without a "System crash" report.
I have disabled the "automatic reboot on system crash" in order to debug the BSOD if applicable, but this reboot is without BSOD. Just a plain reboot like pressing the reset button. :eek:

Few hints the support give in this kind of case :
  • Update your GC drivers and your sound dirvers
  • Disable the sounds
  • Reduce the visuals effects (in the CL option screen)

Though, the fact that you don't get a blue screen while rebooting is kinda strange.

Something i just thought about too : did you look into the Event viewer of Windows to see if there's any error msg ?

cacail said:
  • Update your GC drivers and your sound dirvers
  • Disable the sounds
  • Reduce the visuals effects (in the CL option screen)

video drivers are current at last version (83.40 - WHQL certified but unreleased yet)
sound card drivers are on the last version available
reduce the visuals effects :( that makes me worry, if it worked on Radeon9200 (aka 2 years old card - directx8.1) why doesnt work on GeForce 6800GT (aka high-end card - directx 9.0c certified)... it that case an upgrade to video card should reuire to reduce visuals? :((

cacail said:
Though, the fact that you don't get a blue screen while rebooting is kinda strange.

Something i just thought about too : did you look into the Event viewer of Windows to see if there's any error msg ?

Thats the strange part. Event viewer doesnt show any abnormalities :(

Wally said:
video drivers are current at last version (83.40 - WHQL certified but unreleased yet)
sound card drivers are on the last version available
reduce the visuals effects :( that makes me worry, if it worked on Radeon9200 (aka 2 years old card - directx8.1) why doesnt work on GeForce 6800GT (aka high-end card - directx 9.0c certified)... it that case an upgrade to video card should reuire to reduce visuals? :(((
Your new GC can try to use a functionnality of the graphic engine of PE that your old GC wasn't using...
So, reducing the visual effects can resolve your problem while waiting for MA to look at this and fix it in a future release...

I just hope you've submitted a support case to let the support know your problem.

cacail said:
Your new GC can try to use a functionnality of the graphic engine of PE that your old GC wasn't using...
I just hope you've submitted a support case to let the support know your problem.

I also supposed that.... but after all... MA says that PE is a DirectX9 engine... I canot say that I dont suspect poor programing in PE engine :rolleyes:

Yes, I put a support case... full of details about my problem (hope that MA support would comprehend the info :rolleyes: ) but I dont expect a pertinent answer from them soon.

Browsing over PE related sites I stumbled upon a possible solution by downgrading drivers to Forceware 71.98... but then I will loose some functionalities introduced by nvidia in latest drivers together with some bugfixes -> poor functionality in other games not so buggy as PE :(

I hope I will find a solution that will not require downgrading

PS. Another fellow having same problem sold his uber-high-end card for a junky one to solve this matter and play PE... hope is not my case :silly2:

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have found a lot of problems with drivers not being removed completly. Read the information from the below site and see if it pertains to your problem and possible solution.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_4.html

Von

Problem seems solved!

I have to mention before that I was surprised by MA support with a not so fast (4 days) but ACCURATE ANSWER. They actualy read my long support case with all details and provided me with different solving options, solutions that aso the forum community provided me with.

Problem was: nVidia 6800 GT cards as long with other high-end video cards need tremendous power on secondary 12V power supply conector.

Solution: I changed the power supply to one that can supply a required amperage on 12V rail, also I assured that video card is alone on the 12V cable by ptting all other consmers on separate cable.

Paradox:
Former PSU - PowerLink 400W LPK2-30 rated with 15A on 12V rail (fake ratings - bleoah)
New PSU - HyperPower 350W HPU-3S350 rated with 14A on 12V rail (real rating)

The new PSU is temporary till I will buy a new one with greater ratings (I become now almost expert in PSU's :p )

Conclusion: I am now with over 1 week of non-crash in PE and I regained trust in my rock-solid system. Hope wont prove me wrong :D

Thank you all for the responses and I hope this thread will be of help to solve others problems too :D

Eheh, nice to hear you've sorted out this one !

I never thought about a power problem. Though, after reading your posts, it reminds me of many articles and news on the net on that subject.

Gratz and Happy come back in PE ;)

Back