Re: Misinterpretation of EntropiaLife Rankings

Exactly. The purpose of this topic is to highlight the dick-swingers who love to quote EL to put other players down, or feed their own egos--and how the stats don't always support their assumptions.

Do you really think they care or even read your thread?

Good point; pretty much supports my reason for posting this topic.

Exactly. The purpose of this topic is to highlight the dick-swingers who love to quote EL to put other players down, or feed their own egos--and how the stats don't always support their assumptions.

You mention "dick-swingers" as if there is something wrong with people with experience discounting those without it. I then see your signature, where you call yourself a "vet"...are you dick swinging that title simple because you found out about this game before I did? That makes you more veteran? In 6 years I have amassed twice as many skills as you, (the natural way), but you are the vet?

What you knew back in 2007 or 2003 means nothing...so why do you need the title "vet". Does it make you better than me? Nah.

We know in 5 seconds of reading a post if a person has their head up their ass or not. Time played or skewed EL data doesn't stop smart people from knowing the truth...

You mention "dick-swingers" as if there is something wrong with people with experience discounting those without it. I then see your signature, where you call yourself a "vet"...are you dick swinging that title simple because you found out about this game before I did? That makes you more veteran? In 6 years I have amassed twice as many skills as you, (the natural way), but you are the vet?

What you knew back in 2007 or 2003 means nothing...so why do you need the title "vet". Does it make you better than me? Nah.

We know in 5 seconds of reading a post if a person has their head up their ass or not. Time played or skewed EL data doesn't stop smart people from knowing the truth...

Even though I agree what you say here, you should still consider toning down it a bit. Not everyone knows everything, and even you where wrong as of late as today when it comes to the loot pool thingy. A person with 10,000 ped loot on the tracker can be vastly more knowledgeable than someone that has 500,000. The tracker basically only tracks personal turnover in actual globals. It doesn't track profit made on non-globals ;)

I find that really hilarious and ironic, considering you PM'd me only a few weeks ago asking about items that were showing in my loot windows from my gallery images, wondering what they were, and asked to see more. :laugh:

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

*cough* hardwrath *cough*

I find that really hilarious and ironic, considering you PM'd me only a few weeks ago asking about items that were showing in my loot windows from my gallery images, wondering what they were, and asked to see more. :laugh:

<removed>

I pm'ed you because it is nostalgia that I like learning about and hearing about. I found it interesting to see how things were back then :) But it certainly has no bearing on todays game...anyhow, I didn't mean to sound insensitive...I just wanted to point out that you were disparaging one mechanism for ranking, while giving yourself his own arbitrary ranking in your siggy :)

"veteran" means very experienced, and been doing consistently it for a long time...it doesn't count for people that take looooong breaks...those are called old-timers, and their knowledge is usually outdated :D

Last edited:
"veteran" means very experienced, and been doing consistently it for a long time...it doesn't count for people that take looooong breaks...those are called old-timers, and their knowledge is usually outdated :D

Definitions aside.

I feel like an old timer & a veteran, and I only started in 2005. I wonder how those that started pre-gold feel ;-)

Rgds

Ace

Personally do not participate in EntropiaLife.. don't see the value since there is so much it won't track and not sure I want to share my hunting data.

You can craft your own arbitrary definitions for whatever you like, nobody cares but you. :) And next time you need information about something, find a "veteran" to ask--like yourself. LMAO

You can craft your own arbitrary definitions for whatever you like, nobody cares but you. :) And next time you need information about something, find a "veteran" to ask--like yourself. LMAO

Fine then, keep telling people their definitions of a players aptitude are wrong, while creating your own arbitrary labels of your own aptitude. :)

I am just saying if one of the FEW people who errantly use tracker data to qualify someone is wrong...tell them

You don't need to tell rest of us we are all wrong when we don't use the data errantly.

If you wanted to make a list of points you wanted to make about EL, that would be fine, but discounting the importance of EL is not fair.

He is a start, all of which most of us know:

-Tracker only tracks if enough people are on a planet running it.
-Many low pop planets have had less than half their globals track over long periods of time, in some cases, like NI, almost all never tracked.
-A lot of hunting is hidden by team globals, but not crafting or mining.
-Mining and hunting can be misleading if the players only hunt small or mine unamped or with small amps.
-People who don't use amps and have little tracker can easily be way more skilled than someone like me who uses amps all the time, which is easy to tell in EL because of long strings of relatively the same value globals.
-For crafting, it totally skewed by EPIV, so learn to eliminate those globals and hofs to get true picture.
-Always check the history of his globals, the largest ones etc, when quantifying the person.
-Planets like Cyrene screw up the data by having SO many low global thresh holds, and a few thresholds over 50.
-EL "rank" means shit other than for the last month.
-Lots of HOF's from some mobs never show up. I have had 5-6 solo uber HOF's NEVER show up in EL. Usually on Crunk Sharks for some reason.
-Many mobs with weird names do not show up.

And finally, this last one is why I presume you take such offense to us using EL data:

-Many players played a LOT before EL or ET was tracking. (we call this the "old-timer" rule...as they are great to talk to about the old days, but generally are blissfully unawares to all that has happened since they left)

You ended the OP with this nugget:

I.......

A player's rank solely based on loot received makes no correlations and really proves nothing at all--except that they were more fortunate than the names lower on the list. This is the only valid criterion measured by the tool.

And that couldn't be more far from the truth. You just said in the same post:

A perfect personal example of this was a Christmas Merry Mayhem that I participated in about 3 or 4 years ago, I remember it was counting Atrox and Feff/Biff kills (I could be mistaken on the latter). I reached #55 or something in the list of thousands of hunters who participated, if I recall correctly (I don't have the results on my work computer but I saved the spreadsheet on my home PC, but it's not important in making this point). 55 might not seem impressive at all, to the veteran players with uber gear, or to those who rely on the EntropiaLife Bible-of-the-Universe. But factor in that I missed almost half of that event being out of town for Christmas vacation, and reached #55 with nothing but Ghost armor and a decidedly non-uber weapons kit including a Marber Bravo, MK4 and M2875, and that suddenly becomes a much more noteworthy result.

So I need to know...was that just the "luck" in your first quote, or was that ranking much more "noteworthy" as you say in the next quote. I am not trying to be a dick, but you are saying one thing and then saying another.

The fact remains that EL is an awesome tool when used properly. You obviously know how to use it properly...so tell others how to use it properly, but DONT make dreadful assumptions like the first quote, while discounting that assumption with the second quote, or saying that it is not useful at all.

It is a very good measuring stick...the only thing better would be a detailed diary kept by each player of all their daily activities...but we don't have those...so we use the next best thing.

To all offended by EL. If someone accuses you of being something you're not based on EL, they are either not using the data properly, or they are not getting the whole picture...so tell them where they went wrong, but for god's sake don't tell us it is worthless because a few people do that.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Mindark just do a real stats thing and put the info in a public feed for globals? After all they have all of the information, or should...

Back