Real skill

dogofwar

Old
What would happen if manually aiming at a creature increased the odds of hitting it by a small amount?

What if creatures were smarter and you had to sneak up from behind and had to walk not run?

What if you had to stop moving if you saw a creature get startled because it almost noticed you?

What if instead of standing around dumb and blind creatures ran away when alerted of your presence?

Etc...

I'm going to guess how this would impact the game.

Get where I'm going with this? I think it would drastically cut down on the number of hunters. Players would complain that it's too hard and too costly for them. And so on. But I think it would be much more involved.

I remember trying out deer hunter. The one thing more realistic hunting would do is make it more boring, unless you're an actual hunter in RL. Actual hunting is slow and you have to be patient and knowledgeable.

Markup on loot would go up. Markup on everything would go up that uses hunting loot.

This would also have the effect of redistributing wealth because the increase in difficulty is not linear (defense/attack/damage/hitpoints). It's non-linear and people of all skill levels could benefit. If you simply increased the hitpoints on a mob all it does is require someone with a higher in-game skill (ped card). That's linear. Even a player at level 0-1 that's able to play this effectively and even enjoy it would gain from it.

But it would come at the cost of frustrating a lot of players and making the game untouchable for them. It might actually be more profitable for MA to keep the game as-is. Perhaps people like to throw peds away. Did it ever occur to players the true measure of a hunter is how big their ped card is? Well that and time and basic knowledge about trading and economy so they can hunt economically. Hunting as-is is real simple. But even when it's real simple people still throw peds away. Then they complain that they don't profit. Hmm...

This would increase the standards of entry into the hunting profession. People who have large ped balances would still benefit from being rich. The point isn't to say that this removes wealth/time as being factors in the measure of a hunter, but that the change by itself is one that isn't exclusive.

Part of my argument is that by making hunting so simple they have made the measure of a hunter based on their ped card. I mean, the only distinguishing factor is how big you can make your ped balance. Well, mostly. Sure, a little bit of knowledge about surfing and a little bit of math knowledge helps. Knowledge about the economy helps. But bottom line most of this (or all of it) is very simple and thus the measure becomes peds.

Last edited:
Ya this would piss a lot of people off, lol. As a bow hunter I like the concept, but not for this game.

I think it would drastically cut down on the number of hunters.

Markup on loot would go up. Markup on everything would go up that uses hunting loot.

those 2 sentences condradict themselfs.

those 2 sentences condradict themselfs.

How so? A decrease in Hunters decreases the supply of hunter-related loot and therefore increases the mark-up on that said loot.

Basic economics is that a <Decrease in Supply + Same Level of Demand == Increase in Price (Mark-up).>

Last edited:
Ya this would piss a lot of people off, lol. As a bow hunter I like the concept, but not for this game.
I'll admit if it was anything like deer hunter I'd get bored out of my mind. On the other hand, that would increase the markup would it not. It would get rid of the low-grade hunters. I think it would decrease the number of hunters too. Now.. would a corresponding change be needed in crafting or mining?

How so? A decrease in Hunters decreases the supply of hunter-related loot and therefore increases the mark-up on that said loot.

Basic economics is that a <Supply + Same Level of Demand == Increase in Price (Mark-up).>

Those two sentences actually do contradict themselves. Quite subtlety. If the amount of hunters goes down, then the amount of players goes down as hunting is the most popular thing to do in this game. If the amount of players go down, demand goes down........I think I need not say more on that.

But I will say this, turning this game in to a "Deer Hunter" style game will turn a lot of people off entirely. Deer Hunter was not exactly the best selling game ever, and there is a clear reason why. It bores the crap out of many people, myself included.

While I think the AI could do with some improving, I am entirely sure these suggestions are not the way to go from a business standpoint.

Basic economics is that a <Supply + Same Level of Demand == Increase in Price (Mark-up).>

By reducing hunters you're culing supply and demand. If there were fewer hunters they wouldnt be using all the weapons/armors/faps that were being made anymore.

You're really just slaying a giant chunk of your economy for no purpose.

Those two sentences actually do contradict themselves. Quite subtlety. If the amount of hunters goes down, then the amount of players goes down as hunting is the most popular thing to do in this game. If the amount of players go down, demand goes down........I think I need not say more on that.

But I will say this, turning this game in to a "Deer Hunter" style game will turn a lot of people off entirely. Deer Hunter was not exactly the best selling game ever, and there is a clear reason why. It bores the crap out of many people, myself included.

While I think the AI could do with some improving, I am entirely sure these suggestions are not the way to go from a business standpoint.
I made some assumptions in my post:
1) People who would leave hunting would find other things to do so demand wouldn't get killed
2) The other professions aren't making mostly hunting products (weapons/faps/etc)

So I'm sorry if I missed that. I think you're 100% right that deer hunter style gameplay would kill interest in hunting. The question is how many hunters would be leftover and whether the economy could stay functional after that. I think the replies so far are coming to a rough conclusion that it wouldn't.

But I wouldn't set anything in stone. Maybe they could add small amounts of something like this? Perhaps select areas where these kinds of features are active? This way if you don't want this level of challenge (or boredom) you can avoid it and go to the areas you prefer instead. And since it would be limited to a few areas the affect would be small on those who avoid it. In exchange for hyper-aware creatures you'd get slightly better markup.

I get tired of "more difficult creatures" always meaning more hitpoints or higher evade or higher dps. I'd like to see non-linear difficulty like hyper-aware creatures. I've given a few examples. This would increase difficulty without requiring you to have a big fancy weapon or high skills in your profession.

As long as its implementation was limited I don't see why it couldn't add to the game. I mean even now we have to pay attention to the creatures because some of them aggro. If you ignore it then you might aggro the big guy that kills you. This is as-is. Adding a little extra to the mix to a few areas is not overdone.

What do people want? All of the creatures lined up in front of them and passively waiting to die? I for one like hunting to be involved. Otherwise I don't enjoy it as much and it's just like gambling to me. I don't know what's fun about going to one mob and the next picking them off like you're in toyland. That isn't fun to me.

I guess I'm saying.. I don't want deer hunter but I don't want creatures lined up and ready to die either. But then again, maybe MA likes it that way because then we lose peds faster and deposit at a higher rate. And of course, paradoxically, the simple hunting causes people to fixate on how much like gambling it's. Well, you know, maybe if hunting was actually enjoyable and involved we wouldn't be thinking so much about the random loot? Maybe if it was actually fun and required a little bit of know-how? How am I wrong about this?

Hand me dice and it's gambling. Hand me Dungeons & Dragons and it's FUN! See the parallel?

Last edited:
If u find regular hunt boring ,
Simply go to a lootable pvp area for your next hunt . Then u really feel the excitment .

Feefs in pvp3 + Ambus , even Snables . and u have to be alert of your surroundings and NO RADAR just rl skills

PVP 4 is tricky becouse the radar so no option really.

They say they will work on the big 3 profesions this year so hopefully we will get smarter mobs and hunting thats more focused arround your real live (mouse aiming) skills for hitting.

Back