Reporting a scammer

tuo130

Mature
Society
Entropia Naval Department
minghao ming wu
*I will try to refrain from mentioning his/her Avatar name because apparently it's 'against the rules'.

Having played this game for several years, I never thought I'd have to post in the Noobs' Corner section, but I recently made a very stupid mistake: I fell for one of the more obvious scams and it cost me 100 PED (which isn't TOO much for me, but the victim in a scam rarely cares about the lost money in the immediate aftermath).

Brief overview: He used '****,my dad is having a heart attack', as an excuse to log off with the stuff I gave him (Looking back, I find it rather amusing :laugh: ). Yes, I asked for collateral, the person claimed they had none, I was stupid, stuff happened, and I'm 100 PED poorer. I'm normally a generous and trusting person (to the point of naivety, as this incident has taught me)

Because I've never been scammed before, I'm not familiar with Entropia's 'player reporting system' (I did a quick search of the Q & A's section and found nothing applicable to my situation, I don't have a large amount of RL time so I didn't check as hard as I could have) . If somebody could give me some advice or tips as to what action I should take so I can try and prevent this player from causing any harm to anybody else, I would be very appreciative.

I'd imagine the best idea would be to file a support case. Then to describe the scam on the forum, as well as who it might be specifically targeting etc. Informed people are safe(r) people.

Sorry to hear your a victim of a scammer, however; I don't think MA will do anything about it as all trades are at the player's own consent and final. I am glad you are posting about this though, so that hopefully an entire community will be more aware and informed before more fall prey to heartless scammers. Sorry again, best of luck to ya! Maybe karma will come around and he gets scammed for double on the same day that you hof :p

Thx for the advice, guys :D

Oh crap my grandfather is suffering a heart attack I have to log off and not give you your TEN DOLLARS back until then. So I don't have time to type and reply to you about this thing.

On a more serious note, don't ever lend out anything without collateral. It's a good thing it was only $10 bucks though :)

I don't even know what one could do in EU with $10 :scratch2: That wouldn't last me more than 5 minues of hunting or one click of some crafting or like 10 mins of mining.. I just can't believe someone is THAT desperate for $10 bucks.. sad the type of people there are these days.

~Danimal

Oh crap my grandfather is suffering a heart attack I have to log off and not give you your TEN DOLLARS back until then. So I don't have time to type and reply to you about this thing.

On a more serious note, don't ever lend out anything without collateral. It's a good thing it was only $10 bucks though :)

I don't even know what one could do in EU with $10 :scratch2: That wouldn't last me more than 5 minues of hunting or one click of some crafting or like 10 mins of mining.. I just can't believe someone is THAT desperate for $10 bucks.. sad the type of people there are these days.

~Danimal

They may not care about the money or peds or items. Many scam just because they enjoy the game of conning people into losing things.:dunce:

To the OP, doubtful you will get anything from MA but you should still report it to help MA build up reports on the person so possibly they will be watched and locked later.

~Danimal

For a noob it would be a lot. look at all those sweaters who are their for hours will make 6- 8 ped a day. 100 peds is more than they make in a week.

For a noob it would be a lot. look at all those sweaters who are their for hours will make 6- 8 ped a day. 100 peds is more than they make in a week.

100 peds won't last very long for a noob because they have ZERO understanding of how to play this game. They will buy the biggest gun possible, pioneer armor and TRY to hunt an Atrox Stalker... I've seen this quite a few times already..

Then after all that is done and said they complain that their peds dont last long enough.. but that is a different topic entirely..

I do hope you get some sort of compensation for your loss or at least the satisfaction of knowing that his dad/grandfather/mother etc did actually have a heart attack and that they are going to log back in to repay you...

~Danimal

report him

i reported once a scammer

he hanged everyday in twins

3 days later he never returned :3

report him

i reported once a scammer

he hanged everyday in twins

3 days later he never returned :3

Was it that guy who was "selling top secret MA information" or whatever for like 50k? Lololololol

Was it that guy who was "selling top secret MA information" or whatever for like 50k? Lololololol

no his name as koko traksimus something i cant remember :S

stole my gungnir when it was worth 2k peds

I don't think MA will do anything about it as all trades are at the player's own consent and final.

Consent implies in a trade that you get something back for it. Scamming is just a regular con, which in fact could be called a crime in real life, at least in western countries. Im sure there will be a day soon, when the first person gets a minor jailtime or fine for something like that in huge dimensions (like conning 100k dollars through that).
Law is advancing rapidly in cybercrimes. Actually for my country, germany, the basis for punishment of cybercrimes is allready there because we have no case law, just the courts may slack a bit behind (new territory etc.). Ofc this also implies there will be a day people start sueing money back in civil courts, lost in online games (think that allready happened). This also means MA will be forced to react, nullify trades, trade back items, etc. "All trades are final" probably is a void sidenote in the ToU. Let someone get scammed of 10k Dollar, that it's enough for him to go to court over it and we will see if trades are really final.
Maybe MA is allready trading back scammed items of big value to avoid negative press like EU is a place people get scammed and then have to go to court, who knows.

ya that dude is known scammer

About this one for 100 peds, i realy cant help lmfao bout it, thats realy desperate.
Next time take a screenie of it, all ok with revealing their name that way i think.

I wouldn't worry about him

I met him few years ago as a noob and some months ago he asked me for help and instead scammed me.

I had 30 people ish all report him with the chatlogs I provided and also managed to track down an alt Ava he had which also got banned

Also got banned from 3 forums for offering cash to ruin his eu life :D

Anyway you won't see a dime back but you should report him.. It's alowed to pm the name I believe

Consent implies in a trade that you get something back for it. Scamming is just a regular con, which in fact could be called a crime in real life, at least in western countries. Im sure there will be a day soon, when the first person gets a minor jailtime or fine for something like that in huge dimensions (like conning 100k dollars through that).
Law is advancing rapidly in cybercrimes. Actually for my country, germany, the basis for punishment of cybercrimes is allready there because we have no case law, just the courts may slack a bit behind (new territory etc.). Ofc this also implies there will be a day people start sueing money back in civil courts, lost in online games (think that allready happened). This also means MA will be forced to react, nullify trades, trade back items, etc. "All trades are final" probably is a void sidenote in the ToU. Let someone get scammed of 10k Dollar, that it's enough for him to go to court over it and we will see if trades are really final.
Maybe MA is allready trading back scammed items of big value to avoid negative press like EU is a place people get scammed and then have to go to court, who knows.

Well scams in the dimensions of several kPED already happened in EU and so far nothing happened to the scammers ( afaik ). But yes when time goes by law could catch up with situations arising from new technologies and people will get punished.

I wouldn't worry about him

I met him few years ago as a noob and some months ago he asked me for help and instead scammed me.

I had 30 people ish all report him with the chatlogs I provided and also managed to track down an alt Ava he had which also got banned

Also got banned from 3 forums for offering cash to ruin his eu life :D

Anyway you won't see a dime back but you should report him.. It's alowed to pm the name I believe

he is reported and banned it think :3

atleast reported :3

and i do remember now that you got banned on arkadiaforum :3 bcuz of that :3

Neither a borrower nor a lender be For loan oft loses both itself and friend,And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.This above all to thine own self be true And it must follow as the night the day Thou canst not then be false to any man. William Shakespeare, And it still holds true today. mark it as a lesson learned :wise: sad to hear about your loss. thankfully it was only 10 bucks

Neither a borrower nor a lender be

My grandpa, who was a coal miner all his life said this.

And he was right... to point that he borrowed and lended...

We should offer up help to others, it is not only just and right, but becoming of who we are as people.

There will always be those looking out to rip us off, scam us, or otherwise seek profit at our expense, and we must be wary of these people.

But a few peds to us is priceless to others. And I hope we keep holding out for those players who gets a few peds of shit and stays happy. The losers? they will always be losers, be it EU or anywhere else. Don't stop being decent.

Always take screenshots of your trades, that whole "MA wont do anything" is b.s. as long as you take the proper precautions.

I.E: I've been scammed by some newb over an A103, i let him borrow it, i took a screenshot when i gave it to him saying "i am letting you borrow this, i am taking screenshots of our trade and if i do not get my item back tonight then i will send a support ticket to MA and attach these screenshots, do you agree?" the person said "yes", i took the screenshots.... 15min after borrowing my a103 he logs off without a word, i sent ticket to MA, got my a103 back and the person is banned.

Always take screenshots of your transactions ppl, dont let those bastards win because your not carefull. =)

Always take screenshots of your trades, that whole "MA wont do anything" is b.s. as long as you take the proper precautions.

I.E: I've been scammed by some newb over an A103, i let him borrow it, i took a screenshot when i gave it to him saying "i am letting you borrow this, i am taking screenshots of our trade and if i do not get my item back tonight then i will send a support ticket to MA and attach these screenshots, do you agree?" the person said "yes", i took the screenshots.... 15min after borrowing my a103 he logs off without a word, i sent ticket to MA, got my a103 back and the person is banned.

Always take screenshots of your transactions ppl, dont let those bastards win because your not carefull. =)

good example that not all trades are final if the proof is allready there and doesnt have to be found first. thanks

I say always report scams..as for 100 ped..im new and have had that much last me 3 weeks now..lol

Unfortunately, he hasn't been online (player registry comes in real handy :laugh: ) since this incident, and as I was stupid enough not to take screenshots or become suspicious when he denied having collateral, the fault in this case lies with me. Rest assured, I will learn from this mistake and hopefully this never happens again. Also, thank you all for the advice, some of which has been immensely helpful

May the HOF be with you all!

To be fair, 100 PED is a fair ammount for me and my friends, but..we all work together with sollomates, so its cheap ammo, while i also mine...bit more expensive. And i craft, but i normally break even.

Back