Run/Walk Toggle Suggestion

Mack

Old Alpha
Society
Dark Knights - Squires
Armak Mack Zardacon
Do you find the new Run/Walk toggle key layout annoying? I do, so have a suggestion I found made it easier to live with. Seeing as I run 95% of the time, I remapped the Q and W keys to be opposite of what MA did. Q = Move forward, W = Toggle Run/Walk.

If you aren't familar with remapping keys (especially the ones programmed by MA), start by hitting "L" to pull up keyboard mapping functions. Hit "Y" or whatever to open Action Library. Hit "G" to open keyboard map. Press left arrow icon at the top center of the keyboard map to take you to the "Active Set: * " (these change keys for all keyboard map sets). Find the Action icons in the Action Library "Move Forward" under the Control Section, and "Toggle Run/Walk" and just drag them to the Q and W keys respectively.

Maybe that is an obvious change to make, but didn't occur to me until today to do it.

Anyway, I find it a lot less annoying now...your mileage may vary ;p

-Mack

Excellent suggestion, Mack. :)

...will do this evening.

darri

i have a better suggestion: write support cases to get rid of this pointless change and revert to simply having seperate Walk and Run actions.

i have a better suggestion: write support cases to get rid of this pointless change and revert to simply having seperate Walk and Run actions.

Agreed, this would be my preferred method and I will file support case about putting it back, but as it isn't actually "broken" atm according to MA then I gotta imagine it will be a low priority and therefore we will have to live with it for a while.....but by all means, if you all don't like this "feature" PLEASE do as Aridash suggests and file a support case complaining about it and maybe the more weight we throw behind it, it will actually get changed....sometime :D

Until then....at least this helps

-Mack

Don't change a thing. Basic FPS controls are in play now. This is a GREAT thing. If anything, toggle walk by holding shift, but I have no problem with the new controls, actually, I prefer it this way, it's more natural to people who play other games.

How about making RUN the default? Pressing Q every time I log in or revive gets frustrating, especially after being forced to log back in 9 times in 2.5 hours due to crashes and the 'no TP' bug.

There is an advantage to using 1 key to "move forward" and another to toggle RUN/WALK ... now when you press "R" (to keep moving without holding a key) and you are in walk mode you keep walking without having to press a key and if you are looking for natural stone this is a preferred way of looking for it ... just my 2 pec's .. :)

How about making RUN the default? Pressing Q every time I log in or revive gets frustrating, especially after being forced to log back in 9 times in 2.5 hours due to crashes and the 'no TP' bug.

Better yet, how about the client remember which option was used last. That would be ideal.

There is an advantage to using 1 key to "move forward" and another to toggle RUN/WALK ... now when you press "R" (to keep moving without holding a key) and you are in walk mode you keep walking without having to press a key and if you are looking for natural stone this is a preferred way of looking for it ... just my 2 pec's .. :)

This is also a very good point. Toggle key works great, you just have to get used to it.

Basic FPS controls are in play now. ... it's more natural to people who play other games.

except, off the top of my head, Crysis where you hold shift +W to run.

OK, so some might like the toggle ability (though when 3rd person retruns the fruit pick will be answered presumably by single click to far off as it was before), but why get rid of the perfectly natural walk and run actions. why remove this?

OK, so some might like the toggle ability (though when 3rd person retruns the fruit pick will be answered presumably by single click to far off as it was before), but why get rid of the perfectly natural walk and run actions. why remove this?

One theory is, to stop the autorunners. Now when you die you are in walk mode. The autorunners didn't detect when they died, they just kept pressing "R". That doesn't work now.

However, I really hope that MA did not do this because of a few noobs trying to get a paltry amount of evade skills and being nothing more than a minor annoyance, and make the rest of us suffer. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

I cant EVER remember wanting to walk anywhere!

This game is so massive I want a skateboard to go zooming down the roads.

If I want to walk I can always just get my 1k dung from storage. :)

Good suggestion.

Half Life 2 is like this as well. There's "Jog" (standard "W") then Boost (Hold shift) then walk (crouch).

The primary function out in the field is running. Holding "Q" is not only non-ergonomic but uncomfortable as well. Having a toggle key while allowing standard FPS controls corrects the ergonomic issues while allowing free-form movement and strafing to be achieved with the standard hand placement.

Try to strafe-run left while holding "Q". It's non-standard. Just like why having "R" to reload doesn't make sense because you can't strafe to the right while reloading.

The new configuration (with the toggle key) corrects PVP in many aspects. As much as you're used to the old key-set, this really is for the better.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

not only that but it would actually change much, just make the auto-skilling slower.

I cant EVER remember wanting to walk anywhere!

exactly.

The primary function out in the field is running. Holding "Q" is not only non-ergonomic but uncomfortable as well. Having a toggle key while allowing standard FPS controls corrects the ergonomic issues while allowing free-form movement and strafing to be achieved with the standard hand placement.

firstly, i'll decide what is and isnt ergonomic for me, and secondly with actions assignable to any key who says it has to be Q anyway (always used W myself)? thirdly you've just proved your own arguement flawed with another example that does not use a toggle + "forwards" method. anyway, having a toggle is nice if you want, but removing two simple more usable alternatives can never be considered better.

firstly, i'll decide what is and isnt ergonomic for me, and secondly with actions assignable to any key who says it has to be Q anyway (always used W myself)? thirdly you've just proved your own arguement flawed with another example that does not use a toggle + "forwards" method. anyway, having a toggle is nice if you want, but removing two simple more usable alternatives can never be considered better.

There's no need to get uppity. I'm not telling you that you're wrong, I'm just justifying the change.

You've just dis-proven your argument by saying that you'll decide what's ergonomic for you. Allow me to decide as well then. What you feel was more usable is not what FPS gamers use. Even though you like the old control set, in the grand scheme of things, you're in the minority here.

What about the rest of my post, have you completely disregarded my justifications with a "Well I don't like it that way" because that's what it sounds like.

Last edited:
I like the new setup. I got used to it after just a few hours. It really isn't rocket science, and frankly, MA has some way bigger priorities these days than changing one of the few things in the game that actually works because a couple people won't learn something new. sheesh.

Holding "Q"

You're not supposed to hold it.
Press W to walk/run, press Q once to switch between the two. And, press R once to automove, W or X to stop.

Good suggestion thanks !:cool:

good suggestion.

Good suggestion, but I too never walk most times... I usually either hit r for autorun or s to walk backwards... so for my avatar it's either "drive highway speed or spin your tires in to reverse" no middle of the road city driving here, lol. Has anyone tried fapping yet to see if the walking/running forward penalty still exist vs the walk backwards like it used to?

I like the new system, just please change the default to run not walk MA. Down on my list of stuff to add to a support case.

Thanks for that tip.

any idea how to put "MMB Sets Cursor Mode" back on the mouse?

Thanks for that tip.

any idea how to put "MMB Sets Cursor Mode" back on the mouse?

Many systems are currently not implemented, that includes many options and controls as well. You can switch by pressing space, and feel free to write a support-case to ask about getting it back

Allow me to decide as well then.

i have conceded have i not that i see benefit for the toggle introdcuction fro those that wish to use it.

What you feel was more usable is not what FPS gamers use. Even though you like the old control set, in the grand scheme of things, you're in the minority here.

at the risk of labouring the point, it is NOT what other gamers are used to, we have just listed two of the most influential FPS games (i think half life is one of the all time best selling games), neither of which use this method - no they dont use the old EU style either, but they dont use this toggle.

I wouldnt be bold enough to say who's in the minority, seems an awful lot of EU users dont even like or use the first person perspective and would be unfamiliar eitherway. Reading this thread there is a theme of "who wants to walk?" and set the default to run. this isnt other games where you might want to walk carfully, sneaking up on an Atrox to snipe at it from behind a rock. its not a priority, but its one of the many needless changes made which seems to have altered somthing for the sake of it (witness many item graphics)

I dont mind the way this works now.

What i do find really annoying is it defaulting to walk every time you die and revive, or every time you log in. It needs to remember your setting, or default to run if they cant do the former.

Being a leftie I never really got the deal of using wsad to move in games. I always map the cursor keys for walking, turning, backing up, etc. I miss being able to press the mouse buttons to start running and basic navigation. Taking hands of the mouse and trying to remember which key i mapped to toggle run/walk is taking some time to get used to. I will probably get it right one of these days but for now if I press R to run all the time i continually run past doors or claim rods or teleports or whatever. Sort of feels like the fine controls are missing or something. Little bit clunky feeling.

wasd is laegely considered the best option in most games for movement due to general ease of use, and easy access to lots of mappable keys around your movement keys (E, Q, C, Shift, Control, Spacebar, R) all controls usually premapped along with standard WASD in games.

if you dont like it like that, just remap

personally i dont see the need for a walk function at all, give Q something useful to do instead, idk.. engage night vision mode or something (turning gamma up every time night rolls round is getting really old really fast)

regards,

Back