Question: Scanning for Skills

Ranavolana

Old Alpha
Society
Team Varyag
Louise Ranavolana Brooks
I regularly scan other players, especially if I see they are high level as I am interested in the types of armour and also the weapons they have. Scanning creatures can be helpful as it can show their health & type of damage they can give out. (Though it is not much help in showing what type of attack they are resistant or vunerable to).

You can gain skills from scanning - though I am not sure what benefit these skills give. I assume that the skills are not gained by continuously scanning one mob.
I assume that different types & maturities of any mob give skills though.

But what about scanning a particular level of mob one day - and on some other time scanning it again - would the extra scanning count towards gaining skill?

Scan animals for Xeno and Analysis. Only the first scan on a mob counts for skill gain though, then they go “dry”. Helps with looter but it’s a massive pain to train this way. You could macro the scan prior to every kill. (F= scanner equip, use, weapon equip, fire) Doable but slows your effective hunting output, and shooting quicker will probably raise your looter quicker anyway.

Seems pretty pointless to me.

try this bug that I reported 3 years ago.
1. Spawn pet.
2. Scan pet.
3. Dismiss pet.
4. Repeat

Many of the newer NPCs can also be scanned. Also when the Bots are spawned in Ark Underground they can be scanned with care.

I have weapon and scanner on the extra buttons on the mouse, and only scan certain small mobs since they seem
to give decent amount of Xenobiology and Robotology. Or should say "decent" since I can have one gain in +150
kills and sometimes nothing.
You get other skills that are for looter professions but those are better to get by skill repair vechicle or
doing resource gathering. RG is better than Scanning since basic value in gains are x3 on all skills there.

Thanks for the input everyone. I gather then that you can scan the same mob type & maturity for skills, as long as its done at different times. That the ability to give skills when scanned wears out (like sweat & also skills gained by pilot from space mobs attacking) and that these skills replentish somehow.
I have scanned NPCs and get a reading "Default Human" (maybe newer NPCs give something else) I also scan vehicles - that gives me technology skills (but I don't know if they matter now?)

I explore to
scan different types of mobs for the skills when I am out of ammo & peds. Not all give Xenobiology (Gradivores do). As a change from sweating when it gets boring

scanning is hte ONLY way to achieve xenobio. but xeno contribution to looter is minimal so you better cut trees and bet on zoology and botany.
also robotology is from scanning.
if you use a long range scanner (HINT: there is one craftable with 30 ped that goes as far as the one costing 500 :) ) can tap a spawn then clear all and repeat

Thanks for the input everyone. I gather then that you can scan the same mob type & maturity for skills, as long as its done at different times. That the ability to give skills when scanned wears out (like sweat & also skills gained by pilot from space mobs attacking) and that these skills replentish somehow.
I have scanned NPCs and get a reading "Default Human" (maybe newer NPCs give something else) I also scan vehicles - that gives me technology skills (but I don't know if they matter now?)

I explore to
scan different types of mobs for the skills when I am out of ammo & peds. Not all give Xenobiology (Gradivores do). As a change from sweating when it gets boring
You get Robotology from both robots and vehicles, so once that one is unlocked its good to scan a vehicle as
soon its spawned. I have reached the "huge" amount of 161pts in by mostly scanning vehicles. :D

Back