Question: Should MA change the update methods?

Do you want new update methods?

• Yes, I want new methods, including normal torrent download

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • Yes, I want new methods apart from normal torrents

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • No, I like the present methods

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Who cares

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters

nutrageti

Stalker
47 nutrageti hitman
Being bored while waiting for the damn updates to download and after reading threads like:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/about-entropia-universe/171154-2-questions-about-bitorrent-dna.html
I want to ask you if we should request MA to change the update methods?
(donno if MA cares but people always like expressing their opinions - will be trying to make my first poll- if this already exists someone please delete this thread )

Reminder of update problems:
10.3 - the normal update version reports an error
- extremely slow download speed combined with errors while downloading
10.3.1 - erorrs with starting the download
- errors with instaling the update(an error message says a file cannot be deleted => deletable manually after closing the EU login window)

all in all I only see problems and I think something like "click here for normal torrent download compatible with utorrent and other programs" link should be made

Last edited:
they should test stuff and work through a few different likely scenarios and expected settings (like c: not being large enough). like any proper software release.

FTP would do...

Oh wait, they got one...

:scratch2:

I guess no one there knows how to upload the files to their own ftp server...

See no other reason why the patches ain't up there.

I won't use the DNA method coz DNA quite frankly sucks, but with the normal method used through the client loader i get max DL speed out of my 10 meg connection.

(i've had no problems using the client loader updater)

had no problems with the client loader either, actually had the fastest DL ever(any method) using the client loader.
But for this big updates a normal torrent like when cry2 was releases should be availible, but guess they experienced something they didn't like at that time...

I'll keep seeding both torrent file's tho after I got the latest update torrent down

had no problems with the client loader either, actually had the fastest DL ever(any method) using the client loader

Agreed. I had no issues at all. I was lax, so I needed 2 updates. The first one was larger and I used the MA-torrent. 45 minutes. Then I used the CL for the smaller second one... 4 minutes.

it's a bit of a mistery as to why some people get good speeds while others don't. for me 10.3 using dna meant downloading for 17 hours while the other method refused to start. the torrent posted on ef was my best option
my max speed is also around 10 MB/s but I never got more than a freakish 1 MB/s from ma
location might be an issue here, that's why i think more options should be available

Torrent is a good way to spread fast and not put strain on one single server.
BitDNA is surely an easy way to intergrate into the client, but as soon as any configuration has to be done, it is simply crap.
A good solution would be to maybe integrate in the options the way you want to download patches with standard an intergrated FTP connection. Giving the option to download a torrent file and using the client of choice would be a great alternative.

Was really quite annoying when 10.3 came out and I really got the complete 3 GB within 30 mins, but got it dumped onto the desktop, got deleted and the client started redownloading it from scratch. Had deinstalled BitDNA a few days before that and was quite surprised to find it running again (and I am not sure if MA asked me somehow to reinstall it).
After the fourth time it did that, I had to cancel and ended up downloading it directly from the server.

I was having a slow progress with the client; found Dante's torrent and improved a lot.
But didn't get my connection full speed until I added the official download site as a webseed (twice) and got 600kB/s+ maxing out my internet connection.

As Woenk said, torrent download relieve the strain over a single server, but it's too dependent of seeders; therefore, another source should be there.

Don't trust on closed source torrent clients, so a torrent file should be published as an option

Once I removed DNA from my pc, I am able to update using the client loader.

Neither Client loader or DNA "so called torrent" resume though.

I can only hope the average update isn't 500meg upwards from now on. :)

Aside from the download types why no resume on the two official options at present MA ??

upates for me have been utter shite, so bad Ive given up on wanting to play , if i cant get it running after serveral hours fuckit, i go play something else, my play time at pc is limited due to 'life' and i cant be arsed downloaind a complete new game each time... fucking sort it as I'll be donloading NEW games NOT updated lol

It is strange that there are so many problems for some while others have no problems.

My patches downloaded very quickly (15 minutes) and installed with no problems.

I don't think there needs to be a new download method, but they should investigate the problems some people are having and improve the patching method accordingly.

Cheers :beerchug:

I can only hope the average update isn't 500meg upwards from now on. :)

That's a very good point... there are many that are restricted to bandwidth use (monthly perhaps). A massive download pretty makes it not worth it considering the DL used up all the bandwidth and the person can't play anyway. I am not in this situation, but I would like to know if these huge DLs are going to be the norm from now on.

if you have good internet connection you really dont care which method you use :)

no problems with DNA Bit Torrent here

Back