• No, would not like this option

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • I really dont care

Votes: 23 13.5%

• Total voters
Society
The Knights of Calypso
Rhys Scarecrow Lewis
After a little while plaing this game, and talking to a few people, i think it would be a good idea to be able to change your nickname(and only this) only once in a given amount of time (6 months?).

I know that a lot of this game is based on reputation, but it would be cool to change it reflect a certain deed you have done which is pretty special.

Also i think some people choose their nicknames, not knowing that they will be used for other stuff, like in team loot message thing, where only the nickname is used.

What do you guys think, any flaws i haven't thought of?

Last edited:
After a little while plaing this game, and talking to a few people, i think it would be a good idea to be able to change your nickname(and only this) only once in a given amount of time (6 months?).

I know that a lot of this game is based on reputation, but it would be cool to change it reflect a certain deed you have done which is pretty special.

Also i think some people choose their nicknames, not knowing that they will be used for other stuff, like in team loot message thing, where only the nickname is used.

What do you guys think, any flaws i haven't thought of?

Liga = phoenix so it's possible

It would be ok for good money like about 1000PED to chenge but not that everyone could change. In real life PPL usualy dont change names. so keep it real.

This month my nickname would be PonyChaser :yay:

I'd like to be able to change my nick, don't see it happening though

Maybe a better solution here would be to allow and have the optional display of earned titles with a custom one available for a fee?

Maybe a better solution here would be to allow and have the optional display of earned titles with a custom one available for a fee?

yeah... like you couldnt change your set name, but you could be awarded extra names if you would like?

Example:
"Some CooL Guy"
is the first avatar to discover an item... he can now choose to display his name as:
"Some CooL Guy - Discoverer"

? :D

I have always said that avatars should be able to change their names at a Name Change terminal.

- The avatar gets charged maybe 500 ped for the privilege.

- The "Name Change" terminal would show a list of all name changes within the last year, for all to see.

- When you scan an avatar, any previous names are shown next to their name for a year afterwards.

It's not rocket science.

Forrest :)

I don't think it should be allowed because of scamming. Ok, you can scan someone. However, not everyone is into scanning and not even less are going to take the time to scan someone to find out previous nicknames. It is just too time consuming IMHO. I say leave it like it is. The way it is now somewhat protects people from known scammers.

Just my 2 pecs. ~Filthy

I don't think it should be allowed because of scamming. Ok, you can scan someone. However, not everyone is into scanning and not even less are going to take the time to scan someone to find out previous nicknames. It is just too time consuming IMHO. I say leave it like it is. The way it is now somewhat protects people from known scammers.

Just my 2 pecs. ~Filthy

This is where the 500 PED charge would come in? Only damn good scammers could afford that.

Or maybe first time is free, thereafter 5000PED a change. No-one wants to change their name a lot I'm sure? Rep is important. But by the time some players realise that they are gonna stay and play this game but their name is not want they want to go all the way with, they have to little skill/PED to chip out and too much skill to just close account and start a new one...

:wise: Yes...this would be me :laugh:

At least one time you should be able to change your name. I hate my Merlin part and would really really like to take it away. When MA started to display our full name when we global I for sure disliked it. I have tried to get MA to change it without any success.
The 6month rule wouldn't fit old players like me. A one change per lifetime would be a better option in my oppinion.

No, this would be a scammers charter.

It doesn't matter if you charge 500 PED, if it will help people to scam 5k PED they will use it.

I think it should be allowed. Unlike other games Entropia allows only one ava and it's supposed to have a "never ending" lifespan.

As for scammer problems, something as simple as showing both names when scanned and having a purple name for a year should easily fix it. Sure you could argue that a new player wouldn't know what that means or own a scanner but then again a new player wouldn't know ANY scammer name no matter how notorious. If anything, everyone doing services or trading will stay very far from the name changing option, who wants to be at Twin with a purple name for example, it's already enough competition there, most wouldn't even scan you they'd just skip you.

Probably 90% of scammers and resellers are unskilled second avas, why would they pay 500 PED to namechange when making yet another ava is free.

Personally i would even allow sex changes, if people are ok with changing their armors.

Anyway, my point would be that a service like Entropia needs such a feature, i can't say i would use it but unlike some in this thread it's not all about me, i know more than enough people that REALLY want it. Would also bring in some nice revenue in the long run. They could even make some professions for it, shady "workshops" where they change your name, fingerprints and eyes, sex changing saloons etc.

Probably 90% of scammers and resellers are unskilled second avas, why would they pay 500 PED to namechange when making yet another ava is free.

Maybe 90% of the pocket-money scammers that operate around PA are second avatars, but the big scams are usually perpetrated by known players. That's how they pull it off, by being known and building up a base of trust.

if you wanna change your name just send in a support case, plenty have done it with a good enough reason. The system is fine no need to change it.

i would like to change my nic but...

NO, this is an invitation to scammer Heaven, as if its not bad enough already.

It's been discussed a few times before and the only way MA will allow a name change is if you've used your real name.

I'd like to change my nickname as I used Spike twice.

I used my real name in my avatar name and have been thinking about asking MA to change it. But because people know me by that name by now I decided not to change it. I think it should be possible to change your name if you used your real name the way you can change it now, by contacting MA. If it would be possible to change your name at any time, that would give scammers a free pass.

I would rather be able to change my password instead of my name.

if you wanna change your name just send in a support case, plenty have done it with a good enough reason. The system is fine no need to change it.

I've done that, didn't work. You need to have used your real name for that to work....
I still think that once in a lifetime change would be OK and be safe regarding the scammer issue.
I used my real name in my avatar name and have been thinking about asking MA to change it. But because people know me by that name by now I decided not to change it. I think it should be possible to change your name if you used your real name the way you can change it now, by contacting MA. If it would be possible to change your name at any time, that would give scammers a free pass.

I would rather be able to change my password instead of my name.
You can change your password! When you first create your ava you don't have clue about what EU is and like me pick a bad name... People know me as Nirfu, Not Nirfu Merlin.

Nope is shouldn't be allowed... plain and simple!

agreed NO first thing I thought when reading title is scammers will be happy, then after reading post I though scammers will be happy every 6 months, so lests say every 2 weeks you get cought. 6*2 = 12 accounts not to bad. leaves ya room to switch name then switch account when something gets to risky.

l say Yes, only once and only within the first 2 weeks of joining. Then your stuck with it for good :laugh:

As for scammer problems, something as simple as showing both names when scanned and having a purple name for a year should easily fix it.

I really like the different coloured name idea, and i think that for some people, who chose a nickname not knowing its significance would appreciate the opportunity to change their nickname.

Perhaps when changed, it shows ALL your names with nickname highlighted for a period of time, so you can still see their first and last names, or be able to see their previous names without a scanner. This would help identify scammers.

God Damn theres some stupid ava names out there!

I mean really stupid, did you get to that option and spill your tea and just fall over your key-board screaming from burning? Flailing arms, hands, a chin maybe, punched it in?

:laugh:

Ive changed one part of my name, to conform with the RL naming rule, as did Jenna Star Mercury, dunno why Boner did, but his new name rocks right? *cough* :laugh:

But, if your name conforms to rules, but just sounds plain silly, thats your problem in my book..That'll Learn Ya!

:rofl:

I think we should be allowed to. I don't care for me, I'm okay with mine, but I imagine there are many who would want to change at least one of their names. I see lots and lots of people with 2 names the same, maybe they didn't know how they would be displayed. I also am willing to bet there are many who gave their avas what sounded at the time like clever or funny names, but soon realized what this game is like and that they were going to stick around for awhile and now they realize they are stuck with a dumb sounding name.

It would be ok for good money like about 1000PED to chenge but not that everyone could change. In real life PPL usualy dont change names. so keep it real.

I know people who've changed their name. It only costs me £33 to change my name in the UK and so it would be cheaper for me to do that and then inform mindark so that I could change my avatar name :yay: as they were identical.

I think we should be allowed to. I don't care for me, I'm okay with mine, but I imagine there are many who would want to change at least one of their names. I see lots and lots of people with 2 names the same, maybe they didn't know how they would be displayed. I also am willing to bet there are many who gave their avas what sounded at the time like clever or funny names, but soon realized what this game is like and that they were going to stick around for awhile and now they realize they are stuck with a dumb sounding name.

yep, who would have thought that nickname would be lumped in with our avatar names :rolleyes:, I'd always been led to believe that a nickname was used instead of your name.

you could be awarded extra names if you would like?

Nighthawk's suggestion sounds feasible. When you get a global or a HoF you could have the option of spending a certain amount of money to add an extra word to your name - for example, the name of the mob you globalled on. Though whether someone would want to call themselves Buzz Snablesnot Lightyear is debatable...

I say no, simply because I am happy with the name I picked to start with.

Yes, quite a lot of avatars have two identical names or quite clumsy order of names.

I think "John John Smith" should be allowed to change one of two "John", e.g., into "Hunter John Smith".

also, "John Hunter Smith" should be allowed to reorder his names into "Hunter John Smith" should he so wish.

Disclaimer: I'm happy with my name as I was watching EU over someone's shoulder before registering, so I knew what it would look like. :)

Back