Situation Vacant: Hurrikane's Job.

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Hi. Many of you know that I currently have no regular access to the internet. The light at the end of the tunnel has been cruelly extinguished (I ordered a landline to be installed, but now BT has decided that our address is not suitable without a large outlay of money to put the line in. I make NO money (I am a struggling writer yet to be published).

So: I can't run the WoF this year. I can turn up to the odd match and judge, I can set the moblists, but the rest I just can't afford to do. It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest friend's house to use their computer and apart from the cost, you can only ask so much of a friend (whole weekends using their computer is a lot to ask).

Does anyone feel they have the time, the mental arithmetic, and the dedication needed to run the WoF this year?

The dates are up, the moblists are all ready to be released, I intend to contact all the sponsors and agree to the inclusion of whatever mobs they are offering (and collect the sponsorship money for the SCAR prizes as usual). The person who replaces me would only have to do the following:

Be there at every match except those which have enough Judges already.
Organise things so there ARE enough Judges.
Deal with any queries or complaints.
Be the voice of reason (at least as much as I have tried to be:))
Do all this for free.

I hesitate to ask for this help because I can see someone doing a good enough job to put me out of the picture in future, which I never intended. But I have to ask.

For the record, I've not had much luck getting answers from FPC about their help this year. Kinda feel a bit 'on my own'.

We built the biggest event in EU and it doesn't deserve to die.

Any takers?

Hurrikane

P.S. I'll look at the replies, if any, in a few days (next time I'm at a PC).
P.P.S. Whatever happens, the WoF will happen. I'll think of something.

Hi. Many of you know that I currently have no regular access to the internet. The light at the end of the tunnel has been cruelly extinguished (I ordered a landline to be installed, but now BT has decided that our address is not suitable without a large outlay of money to put the line in. I make NO money (I am a struggling writer yet to be published).

So: I can't run the WoF this year. I can turn up to the odd match and judge, I can set the moblists, but the rest I just can't afford to do. It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest friend's house to use their computer and apart from the cost, you can only ask so much of a friend (whole weekends using their computer is a lot to ask).

Does anyone feel they have the time, the mental arithmetic, and the dedication needed to run the WoF this year?

The dates are up, the moblists are all ready to be released, I intend to contact all the sponsors and agree to the inclusion of whatever mobs they are offering (and collect the sponsorship money for the SCAR prizes as usual). The person who replaces me would only have to do the following:

Be there at every match except those which have enough Judges already.
Organise things so there ARE enough Judges.
Deal with any queries or complaints.
Be the voice of reason (at least as much as I have tried to be:))
Do all this for free.

I hesitate to ask for this help because I can see someone doing a good enough job to put me out of the picture in future, which I never intended. But I have to ask.

For the record, I've not had much luck getting answers from FPC about their help this year. Kinda feel a bit 'on my own'.

Any takers?

Hurrikane

P.S. I'll look at the replies, if any, in a few days (next time I'm at a PC).

Sad to read such things, Hurri.

I offer my help. But you should ask for RJ's and Mack's help first. Both of them have the power and knowledge to be your sub-agent for this year. And I trust in both of them that they won't occupy your unique job as "Mister WoF" after doing it temporary.

Well RJ's last post is from Dec 20th 2010. She should be THE ONE to do the job as long as you are not able to do it. No clue what concerns Mack.

I can be there all the time as you know from the past. And since I am in DACH's support only I could easy quit my service to the team totally or partly and become a neutral person. I am not really happy with each of your rules. But I got the ability to accept them as they are.

But I guess I won't have your authority. Some teams may don't accept me. And sometimes I am a bit confused **roll eyes** ... So what about a team of sub-agents with one leader who has your phone number? Just let's put this issue to the Judge Team thread! Because the experianced judges are the best aspirants to manage the event, arn't they?

Sorry to hear Hurrie :(
I do understand ur issue tho.
I dont aply for that task i must say, it is a massive job that i not preperd to tackle ;)
I do hope it work out some how and as Jamira say i also think that RJ will be the best alternative :)
With good will im sure we work out this prob somehow

I do hope u dont have to be absent to long m8, we missing u already :)

I'm pretty sure IT WILL :cool:
Not only the judges are experienced to manage this event but the team captains and longterm members of the teams are experianced too. I trust in a solid and serious community of adults who can handle such situation!

Keep in mind: Hurri is the inventor and the Master of this crazy event. He will be the "High Court" ... present or not. We WILL find a solution for this year and keep the biggest event driven by players running in it's fifth's year!

Would be easier to ask for donations to buy your landline imo ;)

PM me though. I'm sad enough ;)

Would be easier to ask for donations to buy your landline imo ;)

PM me though. I'm sad enough ;)

LOL! Hurri lives in a mobile home ... hard to get a stable connection

Sorry to hear you're not going to be able to be at the helm this year mate. :(

I think the next best qualified would be Rayne Jade since he's been so involved and is very familiar with all that needs to get done.......but he seems to be MIA atm...

hope it goes...WOF seems to be the only thing worth looking forward to these days in EU. :) (IMO of course. ;) )

GL Hurricane :)

WOF seems to be the only thing worth looking forward to these days in EU. :) (IMO of course. ;) )

GL Hurricane :)

Subscribed!

Okay, Taxman Reloded ... but that's my personal issue and it'll stop at February 28th.

No doubt ... WoF is the biggest and most important event driven by players. It's sense or motivation is different to FPC events. That's the reason for it is so important for the game! Hurri stated that he doesn't have much contact to or response from FPC regarding this year's WoF. I would like to change this!

Hi. Many of you know that I currently have no regular access to the internet. The light at the end of the tunnel has been cruelly extinguished (I ordered a landline to be installed, but now BT has decided that our address is not suitable without a large outlay of money to put the line in. I make NO money (I am a struggling writer yet to be published)..

Off topic but maybe I can help Hurrikane. I am moving into Electronic publishing with my book business. Send me a mail if you want to know more.
Alpha

Said to hear, I still hope Hurricane can lead this though through the forum and with some help of the judges to keep the order ingame.

Maybe MA/FPC could help with the more technical detail - score record keeping. If they could help us with a single, reliable source of the globals made by the teams (team names "WOF *"and by time).
If the scoring was formalized (written down clearly; mob A x points, mob B y points), maybe it would even be possible to get automatic, live score ingame. If there is a canon source of the score, or at least globals, this could make the roles of the judges go from keeping track of each global to more practical things like making sure everyone starts/completes, answering questions, taking complaints (excessive pk:ing, killstealing, whatever) and use their time for more advanced issues than just counting.

What would be needed from MAs/FPCs side, would simply be a list with mindark timestaps of all globals made by teams that begin with "WOF " during say friday 17:00 to sunday 17:00, pretty much as it is in the logfiles but in a safe way so the numbers aren't changed by anyone or that some globals are lost because accidently all people who keep track of the globals/logs them get disconnected at same time (which could happen if all judges are on same spot and that server goes down).

And then deliver the list in an easy to read computer format like
{timestamp}<HT>{teamname}<HT>{mob base name}<HT>{maturity}<HT>{value in PECs}<HT>[GLOBAL/HOF/ATH]

Should be enough. Maybe possibility for judges to add comment lines into the global data (for instance lines for "match begins" and "match end").

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear about the continued connections problems Hurri. Personally think that RJ would do the best job at this as well. I will continue to support it where I can and be at most matches to judge and help confirm scores via the chat logs afterwards. I have RJ's e-mail and phone info so will try to contact him to see if he is able to pick up the slack this year. I know all the judges will rally though and have no doubt that we can manage it as a team with Hurri available on the forums once in a while to settle any final debates. I guess it's the FPC liaison that is the biggest missing piece, but from past experience it seems like maybe we are better off not counting on any support from them anyway (which is of course maddeningly insane for an event that could bring in so much for the company, but don't get me started....hell, could we maybe at least get a front page notice about the upcoming event...what's that take? 15 minutes to do????...okay, blood pressure rising).

-Mack

Best of luck with your internet problem.

I completely agee with everyone's votes for Rayne Jade or Armak to fill in for you while you can't directly oversee things. Maybe even both of them could do it.

Sorry to hear about this Hurri.

I agree with the others in that RJ is the best candidate to stand in the firing line hehe

It is a lofty mantle that I certainly could not fill, but am obviously about for the matches that I can make it to help judge etc:)

JimmyB came up with the suggestion in the judges thread that WoF Proper take a holiday for this year, and instead we have a set of mini WoF matches etc.... Maybe the return of a few FoF's.. Could be an idea....

As everybody here i vote for RJ ;)

Will try to be present for most of run but i cant guaranty irl issue wont take me off sometimes

I tried to e-mail RJ (as did others), but the address seems to have changed and e-mails bounced. Sent PMs via this forum, so hopefully he will be in soon to check those.

As the WOF start date is only a few weeks away, I might offer one other suggestion to Hurrikane as you review this thread and try to make some decisions. It would be a bummer if there was no WOF at all this year, but how about maybe shortening it up a few weeks by dropping the first two stages? There are 24 or fewer teams so that means everyone advances to stage 3 rounds, so basically have 5 "qualifiers". By eliminating the first two stages (just this year, hopefully) we reduce the drain on everyone's wallet for WOF and give ourselves an extra month to get leadership things finalized. Might mean re-organizing the mob list a little if you want, but could just leave it as is too.

I know many suggested my name to take charge if RJ can't do it, but it is really more than I can manage this year. I am working two jobs and have a ton of work coming up over the next few months. I dropped my name from the USA main team list consideration and declined a suggestion to help lead our support team as well due to my schedule...don't really see how I can do any more than last year for WOF support. I will make sure spreadsheets/scoring stuff is ready to go and judge whenever possible, but we need to find someone else to take the reigns and deal with sponsors, FPC, rule debates, etc., that person can't be me (sorry). Hopefully RJ is just temporarily tied up and will be back soon and we can see if he is interested in that role.

-Mack

Darn kinda looked forward to this years wof. i want to help but i cant due to Realife Work schedules

Love WoF and it was a reason to go in game, Im not sure anyone could step into your shoes Hurri ( Rj possibly but seems to be mia) :(

Jimmy B has a point, and it may be good to do some FoF type of stuff and build the following of it all back up, less stress, less peds and a bit of fun to make it worth jumping back in game :dunno:

I am pretty sure we WILL have a WoF 2011. Probably the short form Oni and Mack suggested: without qualifiers. I second Mack's opinion that there is no really need to waste the money since all participating teams (so far) will be in automatically.

However, either we will find ONE new chief for this year or we will build a commitee from the judge team. I hope to meet up with Hurri, J Boy and Mack tomorrow afternoon. I still want RJ ... but my try to mail her didn't work like Mack's try.

I am sure that we will have a final solution within the middle of next week. Usually Hurri posted the current mob list 7 or 10 days before the matches. So give us 4 or 5 days to sort things out please!

Hurrikane

RJ I think is about the only one along with Mack to do this.

That said - your sentence about FPC is disturbing to say the least considering what happened last year. Yes, it's the biggest event and they obviously don't care about it other than to collect their peds. 2nd and 3rd places got screwed last year and they've never told us why. Now your saying this tells me it will happen again this year.

I'm sorry to say, I think FPC HAS to make open statement of what they are going to do to contribute to this years WOF before anyone goes to all the work to keep setting this up this year. You've obviously already done a lot in setting up the times and mobs. Hasn't Hanne or Marco replied to you at all? :scratch2:

I disagree with a 'discouted' WoF (as jimmyb suggested [no offense]). This will sound like a end.

Hurri cant handle it,
RJ seems not avaiable,
So i propose a collegial management of WoF this years

It is obvious that beyond hurri & RJ, Jamira is the most active person around WoF organization (at least on theses thread). So let's put her at the head and we are several that can help strongly. If we could make a list of 4/5 ppl we could handle a 'normal' event.

Jamira, make a list, let hurri validate it and let's go to a 'normal' WoF.

If some are afraid about score issues let's just add one rule : each team must send an avatar to judge's place so could ensure glob/hof are taken into account. At the end of the run : score will be final.

If some are afraid about score issues let's just add one rule : each team must send an avatar to judge's place so could ensure glob/hof are taken into account. At the end of the run : score will be final.

Scoring debates should not be an issue of trust. It's all in everyone's chat log for anyone to verify. On rare occasion a global may be missing from one person's chat log, but can be checked against multiple logs very easily. While extra eyes are always welcome at the judges station to give live scores, I don't think an extra rule in this area is necessary.

I disagree with a 'discouted' WoF (as jimmyb suggested [no offense]). This will sound like a end.

Hurri cant handle it,
RJ seems not avaiable,
So i propose a collegial management of WoF this years

It is obvious that beyond hurri & RJ, Jamira is the most active person around WoF organization (at least on theses thread). So let's put her at the head and we are several that can help strongly. If we could make a list of 4/5 ppl we could handle a 'normal' event.

Jamira, make a list, let hurri validate it and let's go to a 'normal' WoF.

Running a WoF is a bit more than taking scores from the matches, miky. Meanwhile my favorite list goes at follows:
  1. Hurrikane
  2. RJ
  3. Mack
  4. J Boy
  5. Jamira
I hope to drag J Boy into the job tomorrow afternoon. I am afraid me in lead the WoF would be a sad solution. I am not good enough to do it. Does anyone has another suggestion?

Smaller teams cant afford to let even one player not be in the fight :) So that isnt an option.
(Though I dont worry about the score) We can do that from the field :)

Just wondering if they could get their act together it would not be hard for ma/fpc who ever does the coding/whatever to set up a mission to assist the wof scoring.

I havent really put much thought into the above statement however the mission scoring worked well with Merry Mayhem this year. Maybe too hard to implement in an event such as this as MM was an individual score.

At least it would alleviate a lot of people during the tedious chore of scoring.

Even if they did consider it which is highly unlikely would it eventually turn around and bite WoF?

Has anyone spoken to Starfinder about using the Tracker for scoring, he may be able to knock up some reporting system. All the teams would need to do designate and stick to a set of names like 'England WoF - Main' 'England WoF - Support' .

Even if Starfinder does not have the time to make anything WoF specific the judges could just use the existing functions on the tracker.

Hurricane have you thought of Mobile Broadband ie a Vodafone pre-pay type 3G dongle? I am sure each team would donate a small amount to get you up and running if you can't afford it yourself.

I would say let Jamira run the show this year, if no one else is willing to make this effort.
It's a very hard task to take on... LOTS of work; I would hate not to see WOF happening this year.

Smaller teams cant afford to let even one player not be in the fight :) So that isnt an option.
(Though I dont worry about the score) We can do that from the field :)

Sorry Rockchick I didnt think about that when posting, this was a bad idea ;)

Hurricane have you thought of Mobile Broadband ie a Vodafone pre-pay type 3G dongle? I am sure each team would donate a small amount to get you up and running if you can't afford it yourself.

I have just come out of a two-year contract using T-Mobile's next-to-useless dongle, which cut me off whenever it liked to and only recieved any signal at all when the sky was clear, no planes were anywhere near, and if it was in a good mood. I got about 4 hours of decent signal a month, maybe a week of weak signal that made a 1 hour programme on ipayer last for three (if we ever saw the end)...even with a signal booster and every trick under the sun. To top it all, it came with a 10gb limit (fair use policy) which I exceeded with ease it seemed; and now that contract is over the most any company seem to offer is 3gb. Doesn't help that we live in the middle of nohere, but the view's nice:)

I'm starting to like the idea of losing the Qualifiers this year. Starting in April right into Stage 3 would make sense and might even get me a 'net provider if I look around enough.

Can anyone say a reason why we shouldn't drop the Qualifiers? Looks like we have around 18 teams ready to rock; they could all kick it off in the Group Stage.

Thanks for all the suggestions and messages of support by the way. The WoF'll never die:)

Hurrikane

Has anyone spoken to Starfinder about using the Tracker for scoring, he may be able to knock up some reporting system. All the teams would need to do designate and stick to a set of names like 'England WoF - Main' 'England WoF - Support' .

Even if Starfinder does not have the time to make anything WoF specific the judges could just use the existing functions on the tracker.

It's not really the judging of the match that is an issue here, it's mostly all the other stuff that goes along with WoF that we need someone to manage. Dealing with FPC, trying to get word out about WOF, dealing with teams to select their time slots and arbitrate when no common ground, rule debates, organize stage 4 groups (drawing), make sure scores and updates get posted on PCF in timely fashion, etc, etc.

Judging/scoring each match is just one small part of the operation, and in that case we already do have a couple applications floating around that will calculate the score using the chat log. Many times the application needs tweaking as it is now with no specific rules regarding team names. Sometimes "support" or "main" is not included or they are misspelled. Country names come in different variations...full name, abbreviations of different varieties, and again, misspellings. So the difficult part for the application is to reliably pick out which country and then to figure out if it is support or main.

The applications can be tweaked to get it right once the match is under way and all team names are known, but it is a hard thing to get everyone on the same page as far as team name rules. Sometimes people even forget to put "WOF" in the name and they have to be told to stop and change the team name. For this reason (and others) we will never completely eliminate the need to have live judges at the matches to monitor and double check everything. A scoring application (or modification to Tracker) is no substitute for human eyes and brain.

-Mack

Last edited:
Back