skill gain slow down

LeeLoo Faith

ColorManiac
Society
OldTimers
LeeLoo LeeLoo Faith
Did anybody else notice a massive skill gain slowdown since last VU?

I heard somebody saying about Evade that they get much less than before, I get much less coloring skills and yesterday I hunted Bots and got nearly no Dodge Skills the whole time. :eek:

Is there an overall drop rate of skill gains?

Or just some skills are harder to get now? If yes which ones did you notice to be harder to skill on?

Last edited:
i've noticed an improve on evade gains in this VU

dodge and coloring did not skill them so cant say

Last edited:
Skill gains always seem to fluctuate.

It took me almost 30k ammo to get the 2 last agility skill gains to reach 69 agility. On my next hunt 30k ammo i was flooded with agility skill gains. Same is visible for other skills.

Although the defensive skills like dodge and evade and also avoidance seem to go slower. The main issue is you would have to chip out to do a repeatable test to see if skill gains have changed. It is hard to make solid conclusions on something like this. But MA has changed skill gains before, so it could have happened again.

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

I haven't seen any slowdowns this VU.

But... I'm not really following my evade closely, since there's no point to keep track of whether I gain almost nothing or I gain almost nothing slower than before. ;)

Reactions: Fin
my experience (sounds great, hee?) tells me that all skills have ups and downs. They are "dynamic". While you might have reached a level in dodge were your skills are nearly standing still (untill you reached a sertain level) others might be at a level were dodge goes fast.

Dunno if that is true though. But the same seems to go with hg, lb, armor manufactury skills :rolleyes: etc!

Lootius bless :)

For me it depends on day/hunt/mob/gun. Sometimes there is almost no skill gain, other times I get a bunches of them after each shot (e.g. a Rifle skill 5-7 times in a row, considering I already have 4.5k). I believe there are some cycles.

All in know is that i hunted for 1kped of ammo for hg yesterday and gained 14hg skills. now have 5040. Coolnes is going to take forever this way.:mad:

ho yea, it go down.
Loot as the same comportement too. Mabe its only my ava, but i loot a lot less, i skill a lot less, until i burn 100$ a day.
Thats mabe a period :)

Wait and see ...

Yesterday I had green msg after green msg, and even in my relative noob status, saw this as exceptional. But other days, I can have almost none. So I'd agree that it comes in waves.

However, the evade change (where you now gain skills on hits not misses) will make a difference for better players. If they did the same with dodge (not tested, so I can't confirm) maybe this is why you see less dodge gains as well.

Reducing colouring skill gains seems like an odd thing to do, given how much ppl have complained about how hard it is now to skill up to most of the colours. So unless this is a partway stage towards the 'colouring VU', I can think of only 3 explanations:

1. it's just a wave - some days you get more some less

2. you're just too good at colouring now leeloo, and MA thinks you don't really need the skills as much :silly2: seriously, higher skill = slower skilling, could just be this?

3. something a bit more off the wall. You know how the guys who have been working on skill implant chip values have discovered a kind of oscillatory function over the general curve of price against skill (whether deliberate or an MA accident, it does appear to be there). Could it be that this oscillation in the price curve applies to the skill gain curve as well. So when you're on a region where the curve oscillates down (skills cheaper) you get more skill gains (easier to get = cheaper). And conversely when you go up on the price curve, you get less skill gains. ie what we all think of as bad days and good days is actually passing thresholds in our skill level that push us into the slow and fast skill gain areas. So you're just in a slow part of the curve, keep skilling and you'll get to a fast part soon

Well just some theories anyway :)

Colouring definitely changed. The skill messages poured in when I started skilling this in the last VU as I have very low skills in it. After a couple of long runs this VU I simply gave up the idea as I received no skill gains whatsoever.

All in know is that i hunted for 1kped of ammo for hg yesterday and gained 14hg skills. now have 5040. Coolnes is going to take forever this way.:mad:

Wait till you get higher i have around 7.5k handgun and on 1k ped ammo i am glad to have gained 2 or 3 handgun lvls. Commando is far away it seems.

Could it be that this oscillation in the price curve applies to the skill gain curve as well.

Yes there is.
There used to be a skill gain graph on the EU website (dissapeared now).

It looked like a 1/x function overlaid with a sinus wavelike function.
If i remember the text corresponding with it it was depicting the amount of skill gains you would get related to the amount you already had.
Also some people used to speak about skilling choke points. (Severe slow down in skill gains of a particular skill) Which some people just overcome by putting in a chip at that moment.

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

There used to be a skill gain graph on the EU website (dissapeared now).

It looked like a 1/x function overlaid with a sinus wavelike function.
If i remember the text corresponding with it it was depicting the amount of skill gains you would get related to the amount you already had.
Also some people used to speak about skilling choke points. (Severe slow down in skill gains of a particular skill) Which some people just overcome by putting in a chip at that moment.

Suggests an optimum way of selling skills by skilling on the high part of the skill gain curve only. No wait what am I saying...the optimum way to skill is to chip out everything, and be a noob. Watch those green msgs fly :)

Evade balance changed

No change experienced on skillgains except for evade skills. I get noticably less evade from small/medium mobs but evade gains now 'skyrocket' on big mobs (relative to your avatar stats I guess).

I.e. I spend 1+ hour skilling longblade (Honor) on small Ambus with almost no evade gains, then spent 15 mins on Hogglos (Ranged) with an amazing rate of evade gains. This pattern is new to me since last VU.

My guess is that the balance of evade gains has been changed to avoid people skilling evade on Rippers etc.

Or it could just all be my imagination ;)

I get noticably less evade from small/medium mobs but evade gains now 'skyrocket' on big mobs (relative to your avatar stats I guess).

I noticed i was getting more evade skill set from big mobs, sometimes even double green lines for same skill - NEVER had this proir to vu

Thank you for the answers!

Yes I did also realize that skills come in waves or cycles sometimes, there are good days for skilling and bad days for skilling, too bad it is never the same days that are good for loot :laugh::laugh:

Hmm Evade might be that I am in a slow part of the curve, but Dodge - I never skilled it before so there should have been some :ahh:

I will try the theorie about Evade now depending on mobs you fight, so maybe have to find the suitable mob for me (not too small) to gain Evade.

But for coloring it is a fact that now you gain more skills when you use more paint cans, have tested it yesterday :(

I also now get evade skills when taking hits - don't remember that happening before last VU. But my memory could be bad on that one...

Hmm Evade might be that I am in a slow part of the curve, but Dodge - I never skilled it before so there should have been some :ahh:

Although the fact that you aren't a total noob means that you already have some dodge ability even though you may not have skilled it, because the ability comes from the prof which comes from other skills and attribs as well. I'd be willing to bet you are easily level 3 or 4 dodger if not higher. I'll wager 1 EFD on it no less.

On an SIB weapon, you stop gaining skills so fast when you leave the SIB period, and this happens when your prof rating gets high enough. So maybe although your dodge skill is low, your dodge prof is high enough to put you into a low part of the cycle.

Now if I had 1 ped for every theory I've suggested and found to be wrong...

:)

I also now get evade skills when taking hits - don't remember that happening before last VU. But my memory could be bad on that one...

yes thats new also, I see more green lines than before, not sure if that actually gives me more skills tho

Although the fact that you aren't a total noob means that you already have some dodge ability even though you may not have skilled it, because the ability comes from the prof which comes from other skills and attribs as well. I'd be willing to bet you are easily level 3 or 4 dodger if not higher. I'll wager 1 EFD on it no less.
:)

Lol. I'm gonna check my dodger prof level!!! Haven't really checked it :ahh:
Might be tomorrow evening but I will let you know! (and u get your EFD if you are right) :laugh:

Well, I noticed it with Colouring.....

40 tries - no skills after the VU.

I wrote to MA to ask them what was going... :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

There was a mini up-date I think & a started to get a few - they wrote back to say I was getting a normal spectrum of skill gains.

Oh well, But they do seem alot slower....
Moonfish

I get far more green lines when fapping than i used to. I don't know if those green lines represent more overall gain in skills, though.

Combat skills seem to go at the same rate as before. General skills seem to skill faster.

What i think happened to defensive skills is that it was changed (as has been mentioned) so that the gains come on (and possibly more frequently on) hits, rather than misses. That would mean that hunting more dangerous mobs that hit more would skill evader or dodger faster than before the VU, compared to less dangerous mobs. I got a ton of dodge in the ring the other day while getting blow up with grenades over and over. I don't remember getting much dodge while being shot over and over. :laugh:

Skill gains seem to go in cycles, sometimes I get lots, sometimes none or very few.

Evade I get when successfully avoiding an attack (no dmg taken) *and* after taking damage - seems now there are two times to get evade, before the VU evade was only ever on avoiding an attack.

Maybe just me but I noticed Agility gains seem faster ?

Overall, I dont notice any big difference.

Depends on the time of day for me... And sometimes it just might be THE day. While some hours of the day I might get good loots I won't get any skill, other times I get loads of skill and no loots. Most of the time I don't get much of either though :rolleyes: But when I notice I'm not getting the skills I want I take a break for a little while and try again and usually it improves... somewhat

I'd be willing to bet you are easily level 3 or 4 dodger if not higher. I'll wager 1 EFD on it no less.

Well you lost KP708 :laugh:
I checked my Dodger Profession and I am just at Level 2 :ahh:

*oooups*

Colouring definitely changed. The skill messages poured in when I started skilling this in the last VU as I have very low skills in it. After a couple of long runs this VU I simply gave up the idea as I received no skill gains whatsoever.

So it wasn't just me then.
I've noticed that too.

There used to be slowdowns some years ago, at 500, 1000, 2000, 3000.. and some more.
I think that those kind of slowdowns still exist, but not so hard to get by and not at the same levels.
For example, I checked with an empty implant how much LWT I could extract, and it was 55. Later after hunting some and thus increasing my LWT I could extract 56 levels. That is not proof for anything but it seems I passed a slowdown recently.

I tried a little sweating, hardly any evade doing that compared to before.
Maybe sweaters getting nice free skills needed a cool down from MAs point of view?

t

So it wasn't just me then.
I've noticed that too.

There used to be slowdowns some years ago, at 500, 1000, 2000, 3000.. and some more.
I think that those kind of slowdowns still exist, but not so hard to get by and not at the same levels.
For example, I checked with an empty implant how much LWT I could extract, and it was 55. Later after hunting some and thus increasing my LWT I could extract 56 levels. That is not proof for anything but it seems I passed a slowdown recently.

These are two different things you're talking about, though. People are noticing a complete lack of gains (green lines) in some professions now. The "slowdowns" you mention are actually a sine-like function imposed on the curve that maps level to tt value of skills (and peak every 500 levels).

tool-fit.png

It may be that the rate of the gains (green) is also dependent on a similar function, but that wouldn't really explain a sudden change in one profession like is being noted.

I suspect the knobs for certain professions were tweaked.

Back