Question: Skill gain with scanners?

Dendron

Guardian
Society
Via Dolorosa
Rose Dendron Wood
Hi

I have only scanned a little and that was basically when a friend still had an ES400 (1-2 years ago) so I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Know to my question:

I get more skill gain when I shoot a XT then I get when I shoot a S40 (yes at a mob). Is it the same with scanners that I get more skill gain with scanners that decay more? I have always thought no but have never tested, anyone have?

/Dendron

Hi

I have only scanned a little and that was basically when a friend still had an ES400 (1-2 years ago) so I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Know to my question:

I get more skill gain when I shoot a XT then I get when I shoot a S40 (yes at a mob). Is it the same with scanners that I get more skill gain with scanners that decay more? I have always thought no but have never tested, anyone have?
/Dendron

Ive scanned alot with all the crafted scanner and owned es400 and es500 at the same time to do alot of testing... and with the high decay scanners Ive concluded that each skill gain you gain more skills with the high decay crafted scanners... but if you compare 50ped decay. es500 is the best, and es400 is the second best compared skillgain / cost.

Im sure some ppl have different opinions...

Ah nice , But why peole woudl use Life Scanner 1 and above???

i heard a rumor that the crafted scanners had a longer range so you could scan the more agressive mobs with less chance of them attacking you.

based on tt scanner, the looted scanners give more skill per ped while the crafted ones allow you to turn over peds faster at higher range but skills at higher costs.

Ok, so:

Fast skilling use LifeScanner-V (high decay, good range). More skills/h.

Eco scilling use ES500 (or ES400), very good (good) range more skills/PED.

hmm, now I only need to find an ES500/400 at a good price...which I woun't so I'll get back to hunting/mining instead. (Maybe bring a LifeScanner-V for some scanning now and then.....)

Tnx for the answers.

/Dendon

Ok, so:

Fast skilling use LifeScanner-V (high decay, good range). More skills/h.

Eco scilling use ES500 (or ES400), very good (good) range more skills/PED.

hmm, now I only need to find an ES500/400 at a good price...which I woun't so I'll get back to hunting/mining instead. (Maybe bring a LifeScanner-V for some scanning now and then.....)

Tnx for the answers.

/Dendon

u dont need the LifeScanner-V u can use the tt scanner it will be more skill /ped :)
in case u dont have time then go for the Big one :)

I use a good scanner because I can scan and still be far enough to start my attack.
Do not want to run back and forth each time I scan/slay.

Skill gains
Now it seems they have slowed down alott!!!

I believe its because i have grown above the mob I scan.
I still hunt this area. Would anyone know if it a waste of effort to continue to scan.
Almost as if I dont get more skills from them.

all the other skills it gives would be nice to continue to recieve.
Does the mob lvl need to be above or at my skill lvl for the scanner to give skills?

never understood the real reason for scanning and/or decoys... still don't really to be honest.

never understood the real reason for scanning and/or decoys... still don't really to be honest.

anotomy perception mechanics electronics and i guess pet related skills.

kosmos

anotomy perception mechanics electronics and i guess pet related skills.

kosmos

Wouldn't it be cheaper and less time consuming to purchase the skills?

Ive been using the scanner.
It seems to me that it also helps in the weapon skill you use.
It helps in all the skills.

So if you scan a creature before you slay it.
Yes you may get the scanner skills but also you get added % in all skills durring the slay period of that creature.
Try and see what you think.

Make sure you are attacking a creature that would give you skills or it may not work at all.
Then scan the creature. Slay it.
Slay some of them and dont scan them.

I believe you will find that it gives added speed to all the skills you would normally get from that creature.
Its almost like chipping. Or paying alittle extra to get skills alittle faster.

Sadly it ended for me when the creature I am working on are to low to give me skills.
I wonder if its anyuse on creature that are to small for my skills.
Still testing

Wouldn't it be cheaper and less time consuming to purchase the skills?

honestly i don't know. back when skills were worth more i think it was good to scan with something like a es500 or es400 for 8 hours while sleeping or at work. then sell the skills not desired.

The higher your decoy dispenser profession the better you can fool mobs from hitting you. I tried a decoy on an atrox before & it didn't do anything. It just went right past it probably because I just started to use decoys :laugh:. The problem comes though does the decay from using decoys out weigh the decay from being hit with armour? Usually when a mob hits your decoy there is either a time limit or a number of hits before it disappears b4 u have to set another one. But I'm not to sure never really tried decoys that long...

decoys seem like a waste of PED lol

dunno about scanner but in the old days you could drop a decoy to fool the mob and then shoot at it while it was attacking the decoy..
but MA changed it so the mobs turns to you if you shoot at it now.

so you could drop decoy and shoot at the mob for a short time before the decoy disappered - then drop a new and shoot again - and keep doing it until you had killed the mob
so you could hunt mobs bigger then your armor could handle (or get away from big mobs)

With Sleipnirs decoys are even more worthless. If I want to get away I just spawn my Schleip and hop in. Every mob I encountered so far stopped chasing after me immediately. I really wish decoys had a better function and there would be something like hunting tactics.

About the scanning: During this robot event I scanned a lot of Jamraiders for Electronics, Mechanics, Perception and Intelligence. If you are low in something (like me in Electronics and Mechanics) the skill gains are quite nice. Genetics (you get that for scanning mutants) is also nice for Body Sculptors and Hair Stylists.

I was using the V scanner because it had a long range.

After about 10 hunts all the scanner was helping was the odd formentioned skills.
It was costing me to use and as said it was little help.

Ive placed it on the AH. Im selling the one with the high markup.
Its something crazy like 140 ped MU.
I put it back for 100 MU.

Its just a waste of peds. For that mark up you could buy what ever skills your looking for.
Even the bank did not want it. Im sry I bought it. Feel bad for the next guy but hey it was fun to use. About as fun as the sweating tool. The scope and laser was a waste of peds for me too. I guess thats how games work.
In this game.. take is slow. take it slow....

analysis skill gain too .. legend tell it increase " rare " loots

haha i was gonna post same thing, BUT the theory i heard was it increased better loots and more loot in general, and a higher chance of crits and lower chance of miss, as well as higher chance of max damage from weapons (heh guess that would fall in with crits)

the thing is i did get a better loot when scan animal before killing (could have been fluke) so i have been burning through scanners and then going out hunting, i see no difference, so my "new" theory is in order for loot to increase in quantity/quality you must scan each animal b4 killing it (not tested yet, will be soon) no matter what level in skills u reach.
Scanner acts like a reset to coincide with loot regen (theory not tested yet) and thus as said above.

Last edited:
Did you say scanner or scammer?:scratch2:

Back