Skill gains and meaning in the new VU

Snipe

Prowler
Society
Guardian Elite
Hawk "Snipe" Deadeye
Hello people!

In the prev VU a certain skill pointed to a certain thing you hit. You could tell if there is something els nearby from the type of skill you got (dont know how many of u also read this)

Since the new VU, that all semmd to be blown to bits (along with my PED)

what i would like to know is if the old rules of skill gaining still aply in the new VU. Like geology in the old VU told u that there is a deposit of the opposit type in the area? Does stuff like this still work?

I've read that theory too, when 7.6.3 first came out that theory seemed more valid to me than it had been in 7.5 and before. For example whenever I did get a perc gain in 7.6.3 I did find a larger deposit nearby on 4 out of 5 runs, 3 of those being globals and the other having an ample and sizeable nearby. However the past few days haven't been as lucky, last night I was out and had at least 12 perc gains in the same area on two runs with an hour break in between the runs and never found anything bigger than an average in about 250 bombs and almost 100 probes. Perhaps I just wasn't there long enough, but I've decided I'm not going to spend an extra 100 bombs to find a 70 ped claim.

What I've been doing now, is no longer bombing next to the claim rod, but running out 50m from it and bombing again since the deposits seem to be further apart than the were 7.5 and before. If I find nothing at that point I run 100m and bomb/probe again. If I find nothing in 3 bombs in that direction I change direction. This works well for me quite often, I'd rather spend a little and break even or profit this way, eventually I'll run into bigger deposits. Maybe someday I'll find that rich deposit :drool:, until then my main priority is to have as many claims as possible and with the deposit sizes being larger than they used to be, (ex: large was approx 20 ped, now it's about 40 ped) it means more profit from the 1 ped bomb I just used. :)

When looking for a claim, you used to get a skill check on success.

Now you can get a skill check even if you miss.

Gat said:
~snip~

What I've been doing now, is no longer bombing next to the claim rod, but running out 50m from it and bombing again since the deposits seem to be further apart than the were 7.5 and before. If I find nothing at that point I run 100m and bomb/probe again. If I find nothing in 3 bombs in that direction I change direction. This works well for me quite often, I'd rather spend a little and break even or profit this way, eventually I'll run into bigger deposits.
~snip~

Gat, I am a noob miner but I actually went the opposite way that you did. I ALWAYS bomb next to a find now and here is the reason:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

After I took this screenie I got two more deposits, so 6 of them within ~30 meters or so of each other. I used to do the 50 meter thing, but found that i seem to save bombs and time this way. I know that I am likely missing deposits by doing this, but am very profitable so far in my admittedly short mining career. :)

Also, all of these were found using the same methods:

Maybe I should try both ways together, but I hate to think of planting sooo many bombs in so small an area...

The new VU scred up the skill thingy :(

what i do is i alwas bomb next to the claim, then if i hit something, i just follow the line :)

i have never gotten a cluster to this date, onely veins.

Snipe said:
Hello people!

In the prev VU a certain skill pointed to a certain thing you hit. You could tell if there is something els nearby from the type of skill you got (dont know how many of u also read this)

Since the new VU, that all semmd to be blown to bits (along with my PED)

what i would like to know is if the old rules of skill gaining still aply in the new VU. Like geology in the old VU told u that there is a deposit of the opposit type in the area? Does stuff like this still work?

this was theory - who can say if it *did* work before the VU? ;)
it didn't for me, and i'm glad the purpose of skills are more obvious now :)

DarkFire said:
this was theory - who can say if it *did* work before the VU? ;)
it didn't for me, and i'm glad the purpose of skills are more obvious now :)

It did work for me! Maby i was just one of the lucky ones.

Back