Space ... the final frontier

Amenophis

Dominant
Society
ROUA
Junona Amenophis Hera
Let's assume MA is open to our ideas and the ideas of their partners in a responsible manner. I'm not aware of the measure in which a partner might "force" MA's hand to implement a new feature, but certainly , us , the users should be far more "in touch" with their partners. So, having this thread here, in the official Calypso forum is a good choice.

What would you like to see in the spatial game-play ? How different from the nowadays terrestrial activities should it be ?

I, for one , would like to see a completely new tree of skills ( tied to the attributes ofc ) , a completely new set of weapons and technology, shield technology types, different classes of ships ( from fighters to gunboats/cruisers/dreadnoughts ) with options of flying them in TEAM ( combat/flight posts for avatars ) , warp drives , space bases and outposts , asteroid mining , AI factions , missions for allowing access to "pacified areas" belonging to these factions - something close to Freelancer. Something different from the daily pew-pew .

play another game then its faster ...

Basically that would be another game ... I assume your post says something like : I'm enough to myself .
But this is no poll unfortunately. I know about all the old avatars are pretty "enough" to themselves or forcing themselves to be. Tedious work tends to develop behavioral patterns.

Let's assume MA is open to our ideas and the ideas of their partners in a responsible manner. I'm not aware of the measure in which a partner might "force" MA's hand to implement a new feature, but certainly , us , the users should be far more "in touch" with their partners. So, having this thread here, in the official Calypso forum is a good choice.

What would you like to see in the spatial game-play ? How different from the nowadays terrestrial activities should it be ?

I, for one , would like to see a completely new tree of skills ( tied to the attributes ofc ) , a completely new set of weapons and technology, shield technology types, different classes of ships ( from fighters to gunboats/cruisers/dreadnoughts ) with options of flying them in TEAM ( combat/flight posts for avatars ) , warp drives , space bases and outposts , asteroid mining , AI factions , missions for allowing access to "pacified areas" belonging to these factions - something close to Freelancer. Something different from the daily pew-pew .

Regarding this, I think "Black Prophecy" looks promising, though it is not realeased yet. It will have realtime space combat. Also "Infinity Universe" has an interesting approach, it is also not released yet, because you will be able to fly seamlessly from space to a planetary surface and vice versa. Though you will not be able to step out of the spaceship in both games, "Entropia" should get these features somehow, realtime space combat and flying from space to planetary surface that is.
"Infinity Universe" has a techdemo on youtube where they demonstrate that, do not know if I can post it here though, so check it out if interested.

Regards,
razormat

This is what i mean yes .. all these changements you wish, this is just "another game" that you like to see.
For my self, vehicle are already too much. It's not having the charm EU had when i joined and it tend to go away from his original charm.
Game is becoming more and more common by deleting all his good things and adding all the stuff that any other game got. :(

For what you want to become true a lot more development has to be done to the EU platform.

Besides that, making something like what you want means in fact creating a new game.

I see no relation between the space as you see it and the current EU planets. I think the skills and their contribution to the professions should be the same no matter where you are, planet or space in the hole Universe.

Fortunately for all, the spatial game-play would indeed be something different . As in you won't interfere with its mechanics in no way if you choose to follow you daily terrestrial routines.

For what you want to become true a lot more development has to be done to the EU platform.

Besides that, making something like what you want means in fact creating a new game.

I see no relation between the space as you see it and the current EU planets. I think the skills and their contribution to the professions should be the same no matter where you are, planet or space in the hole Universe.

And once again ... this is not about what I want but about what you would like to step into in the future.

PS: and actually it involves more multimedia work than engine one. Nowadays you can shoot the turret gun, so , you could have 1- n turrets independently fired by avatars, hoggs can move into space to become faction fighters , malcruentors can become gunships etc, while mining could be performed in a basically identical manner. Guess what ... space can be created and assigned to the engine. Thing is ... if this gets too much fun ... who will pew-pew on the planets ? I'm sure tho there are plenty of those ...

Last edited:
Nobody has every successfully merged two genres of computer game into a single install! (sarcasm)

The truth is, anything is possible with smart, motivated developers and lots of money.

Lets not shoot down the dreamers who choose to post their dreams here on this "worldly" bulletin board. It's so much more fun to mock the never ending supply of pure idiots posting in other threads.

Some space travel would indeed be interesting. Personally, I'd love to see something like a beacon mission that involved an assault team and pilots, preferably on Ackbal-Cimi.

Some Space PvP would be cool too. There are other planets within the Omega 16 Reticulum system, so some PvP areas in the travel path could make for interesting times for pilots transporting persons, cargo, or involved in the "specialty small package import/export business".

Can a planet partner have more than one "planet"?

preferably on Ackbal-Cimi.
VTOL is indeed a good step in the right direction.

Also, why limit it to external space. What about internal space? We have mutants and stuff like that in game already. How about a space type subgame where you play the part of a nanoprobe inserted in to something and you have to guide the probe successfully to alter the dna, thereby creating some new mutant pet type, etc. Think Inner Space, Honey I shrunk the kids, etc. How about a combat training room - think X-men's danger room, etc.

With science fiction all things are possible.

Since MA talked about cruising around in space and being able to travel to different planets,
they will perhaps give some kind of a preview at some point about how space travel will work and look like.
Maybe when the hangars or spaceships are reintroduced they will open up outer space.
I wonder how they would achieve the whole space thing with cryengine though.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to have space fight. maybe a planet can be designed to be purely for spaceships(with repair unit) fighting robot ships. then the teleporters will be wormholes leading to the planets. space stations for the terminals.

If this happens MA could make or break a planet partner according to where it places that planet within the Universe.

For my self, vehicle are already too much... Game is becoming more and more common by deleting all his good things and adding all the stuff that any other game got. :(

Every new planet to Entropia will come with new cultural items, new skins, new features... The problem is we become the link between planets and all planets share features and items through us. So whether it's Next Island or Planet Michael, both will exist in Twin Peaks and both will become tainted by items and vehicles

Isn't that exactly what SEE Planets is planing to do... release a new novelty planet every month..

Regarding this, I think "Black Prophecy" looks promising, though it is not realeased yet.

Now that we are allowed to talk about other games...

I've been waiting for this game for a while. Looks quite cool. I actually just got into the beta this weekend but haven't really had time to play yet so nothing to report.

FPC has 3 planets, Calypso, Asteroid space resort and CP. So adding a 4th does not sound like a big problem. Also, SEE will certainly have more than once planet if they are successful.

Now regarding space development - it should start with skill-based transport to other planetary bodies and systems, with slow and safe and faster but pvp options to augument the "just teleport" thing. Once that works, gets people started on space navigation (and crafters started on crafting the vehicles) we can move on from there.

FPC has 3 planets, Calypso, Asteroid space resort and CP. So adding a 4th does not sound like a big problem. Also, SEE will certainly have more than once planet if they are successful.

Actually it was made very clear that CP and CND are part of Planet Calypso.

That being said, SEE has several planets theoretically planned.

About flying in teams, Marco actually envisioned that it should be possible to fly a spaceship with a whole crew later on when space is opened:

http://www.playmmo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6099

6-a: Ventures into space will come in 2005. We hope to bring real time space ship combat with robot ships and other space living entities. Asteroid mining will also be a part of it. I envision a major star ship with a crew of 100 people all manning various functions of the ship, like engineering, guns, torpedos, strategic command, shields, power distribution, hull repairs, etc, allwoing for major epic battles in the sky.

Back