Storage Basics And Tips

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
The storage system can be quite confusing to new Calypsians. Let's see if we can help you out.

First, you must understand that storage is free. Storage terminals can be found at practically every TP on Calypso, usually inside nearby service centers. They are meant so that you don't have to carry everything on your person. (carrying over 170 kg reduces your speed, so stick items you don't immediately need into storage.) They are all connected to the same inventory, so you can place an item into storage in Port Atlantis, and you'll see it in your storage at Cape Corinth or even Sakura on Amethera just the way you left it.

However, be aware that if you go into space, there is no storage on either Club NeverDie nor Crystal Palace.

storage1.jpg

Storage is sectioned off just like your personal inventory. The tabs on the right hand side help you see and work with each section. Items will go into their proper section, regardless of where you place it. (I.E. placing a weapon in the mined material section won't leave the weapon there. It will disappear, only to be found in the weapons section.)

If you have multiple sets of identical stackable items (items w/ numbers in the upper left instead of a condition bar) you can combine them in a very easy method. Simply right click one set and choose "merge all". Every instance of that specific item will all be combined into 1 single stack.

storage10.jpg

In this example, I'll get a single combined stack of 127 muscle oil.

I use this most with the loot section. Instead of finding where the rest of my muscle oil is, I just stick my latest looted oil at the bottom and choose merge all.

The trick to positioning items in storage is the squares.

Notice the background of the storage you use. It's made of squares. Those aren't just decoration. When items are placed in storage, they try to stay in the location you dropped them. If however there isn't enough room for them, they "snap" to the first they can fit, starting from the upper left, and moving right. IF they can't fit on the first row, they move to the next, again shifting left-to-right. This is repeated until they find "room" to be placed.

But how much "room" does each item need? The answer is a set # of squares based on its icon. Every icon takes a set # of squares across and down based on its shape. (1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 2x2, 2x3, etc.)

storage2.jpg

If you know the squares of something, you can place it in specific locations, and, assuming it fits, it will stay there. This is useful if you need to keep your paint together or something. All paint uses a 1x2 icon, so they stack 8 across.

Currently, storage is 8 squares across and potentially limitless squares down. Storage automatically increases the section 2 squares deep when you place items at the bottom. (At the moment, personal storage is only 6 squares across, thus transferring items from storage to personal inventory, they may need to be positioned a bit differently.)

With this understanding of the squares, you can position your items neatly in storage. For example, you can stack your armor together...

storage4.jpg

As well as your plates for easy management.

storage5.jpg

Quick exercise: Notice all the plates are 2x2 squares. Most harnesses, arms and thighs are 2x3, masks/gloves are 1x1, helmets are 2x2, etc. How many squares are the shoes?

But what if you don't care about stacking things neatly, but have a bunch of gaps and holes you want filled? (This happens a lot to me with the loot tab, after merging a bunch of stacks.) You could grab an item, hover it over something else, and let go, letting it snap into the first empty space. However, that's too much work, and not really the best method.

The solution comes from a simple button just under the tabs.

storage3.jpg

This button take all icons and shifts them up and to the left as much as they can. I use this most, for example, in my loot tab. I don't care where the items are, so after placing things in, I compact it.

However after using it, you may notice you still have gaps. That's because of how the compacter works. It's not playing Tetris, and moving all the pieces into the best spots.

As best as I can tell, the compacter grabs the items in that section and, one at a time, snaps it in place as described above (upper left, and working right then down) The items it works with are in order from first to last in the main item database MA uses, I believe.

The compact all button works only on the tab that you are viewing at the time. It leaves all others alone. You may compact your loot without worrying about your armor.

However, storage is not unlimited. You are only allowed to have 500 items in storage. (Some glitches allow this to be bypassed, however you risk losing valuable inventory.)

To get past this 500 item limit, you simply have to understand one rule: Stacked items = 1 item.

For example, your gun, with 2 lasers, a scope and amp on it only counts as 1 item in storage. However, be aware that when you remove attachments, you suddenly now have 5 items in storage, until you reconnect everything. Similarly, merging 4 stacks of hides reduces your inventory count by 3, but split stacks increases this count as well.

If you find you are getting too many items, you may need to invest in storage boxes.

storage8.jpg

These items are like mini-storage units with their own weight/item count limits based on the type of container. Placing item inside, is just like stacking them. For example you could place 8 items inside a med. storage box and your inventory will count it all as 1 item.

Blueprints have their own "storage box" called books. A book w/ 80 blueprints in it is still just 1 item.

storage7.jpg

If you craft, you already have books (since you can't craft without them) but eventually, you'll find yourself getting duplicates of BPs you already have. If you want to keep the duplicates, you can get multiple books.

storage6.jpg

But what if you don't want to get them confused with the ones you already have? It sucks to grab a book with a beginning QR basic screws BP when you already have a nice 89 QR BP to work with.

To keep your books in order, do not touch the compact all button. Ever.

Keep you "main BP book" at the top. When you are putting away duplicates, simply drag the BP over the first book. If it's red, don't drop it, but move it over the next book in line. Continue until you find the first green book, and drop it in there.

storage9-a.jpg

So there we are. We've learned how to arrange our weapons, blueprints, etc. We've learned how to handle stackable items, and how to remove unwanted space when arranging isn't a priority. Hopefully this post helps you out in learning how to use your storage. Good luck and happy hoffing.

Last edited:
Nice guide to help out the new and experanced. + rep to you

It's not playing Tetris, and moving all the pieces into the best spots.

Just imagine all the items going away when there's no gap left :rofl:.

Anyways, I just wanted to add that the PED-card will always be as close as possible to the top left corner every time you log in. I just hate that. I started to lay out PECs to block certain places to force it to be where I want it to be but that looks totally silly.

Nice tutorial/tip thread:)

Excellent post + rep... Some older players forget how confusing it is for a noob, stuff like this really helps them out...

Cheers, Nobleone :beerchug:

great helpful post. :)

There is storage?

(nice guide:))

Great guide!

(carrying over 150 kg or over 50 items greatly reduces your speed, so stick items you don't immediately need into storage.)
Going a bit of topic here, but I find this part interesting. I don't experiance any slowdown until I pas 170 Kg. Is the limit different depending on your strength attribute?

Unfortionaly search either isn't as much my friend as people would have me belive or this has not been covered before?

Thanks for the nice guide.. +rep

Currently, storage is 8 squares across and potentially limitless squares down.
There is a limit to the number of squares but offhand I can't remember what it is. Once the inventory is filled then you cannot add any new stuff (though you can always add more of the stuff which is already there). This is where storage boxes come in handy.
You can also store stuff in an apartment (or house or shop) and some people buy them just for that purpose.

Otherwise an excellent guide.

Going a bit of topic here, but I find this part interesting. I don't experiance any slowdown until I pas 170 Kg. Is the limit different depending on your strength attribute?

Yes, lately, there does seem to be a connection between your strength (and/or some other factors) and your load carrying ability. Either that or MA upped the amount a bit. However I seem to remember a newer person not being able to carry as much as me. I'll have to do some tests and double-check this.

The main point is at a certain weight/item count you can't run and are forced to walk.

Lol.. after over three and a half year in game, I was not aware of the fact that the inventory was expandable...

Great guide ;)

Must spread reputation bla..

Very nice though!

Bump for a great guide

Nice guide in a frequently overlooked area! +rep

I recall my first week in game before I found out there was even storage at all. And it`s a good thing because I still don`t have an apartment!

I love the way you put your armors in storage, very clever :thumbup:

here's how i keep mine
storage.jpg

Nice guide with good advices, +rep!

+rep, nicely done !!

peds put in storage?

Can u put peds in storage boxes?
Just to keep them sepreated?

Sweet post. I didn't know about the compacting button. Why shouldn't you press it with BPs?

If you aren't sorting items by location, then compacting any section is fine.

However, if you have, say multiple BP books, like me, then if I were to compact, I'd never know which book has 45 BPs and which only have 1. Makes searching quite a pain. The way I keep them sorted, I know the fullest books are toward the top, with less BPs as I go down.

The best example for most players is the armor section, especially if you have a selection of plates. If you compact this section, all the plates get jumbled, making it hard to ensure you got all your 6As on, and didn't grab a 2A by accident. ;)

Any other general tips for storage? Other then Bp's I can't think of any other neat tricks we can do with storage

On another note, how much do one's skills affect the movement speed while carrying large loads? thanks in advance! and thanks for the cool post!

I use compact all in the general stackable area. An interesting thing is that when you do that, the items that you add last will be at the bottom of the storage. I noticed that when hunting ambu all the time. I drag all my loot there, merge all duplicates and then compact. After that, is easy to see the highest stacks, because are at the buttom so you know what to put in auction and what to keep.
I think is nice to have storage boxes... I keep my plates and mining tools in boxes because I never use them, and when I do is easier to find them. BP books can fit nice in boxes to... you can have multiple boxes opened, so adding BP's in books is not so hard.

Some tips:

Position of item in storage is saved when you close storage , it better to close it sometime while you tidy , or you might crash and have all the work to do again.

When you finish to tidy armor , equip them like that :
- Grab armor and put in inventaire
- Grad plate and put them straight in arport part to atach them
- when hunt if finish , dont remouve plate , put armor straight in storage.
-Detach plate from armor in storage , the plate will go exactly where you did place them in storage :)

You open storage while crafting , coloring , trade , auction...But all item must go first in inventory to go in other window.

Yes, lately, there does seem to be a connection between your strength (and/or some other factors) and your load carrying ability. Either that or MA upped the amount a bit. However I seem to remember a newer person not being able to carry as much as me. I'll have to do some tests and double-check this.

The main point is at a certain weight/item count you can't run and are forced to walk.

:( I stand corrected. Some new weight/item count tests I did recently show that regardless of strength, weight turns yellow at 170kg, and speed starts to drop noticeably after 180. Also item counts do NOT affect speed.

If there are any other part I'm wrong on, please let me know so I can fix this guide. Thanks.

Back