Stutter/Reduced firing rate

extoo

Provider
Extoo
For all I know this might happen to everyone but here is whats happeneing to me -

Issue 1 - Stuttering/Slowdown

This happens on certain mobs, particularly Atrax and Drones. The more drones there are for example the more PE acts like there is lag (having said that, its not lag as if I wander 50m away from drones it stops).

Issue 2 - Pistol Firing Rate

If I am targetting a mob (so green square around it) my gun fires slower than if I just manually aim at a mob. I probable didn't notice this before but recently I got a Freeand Delta and two of us were shooting the same gun at a longu with the following rough illustration of what happened -

Extoo: fire......fire.....fire.....fire
Other: fire...fire...fire...fire...fire

I can get round this by targetting the mob then clicking off so that I am still pointing weapon at it but not actually targetting it with the green square.

Like I said, this could happen to everyone so feel free to tell me if it does, I won't be embarassed.

For the techies among you yes, I've done all the standard things like get latest drivers for soundcard, gfx driver etc and played with Geforce settings/AA blah blah.

Specs are -

P4 3.0GHz
2gb Ram
WinXP
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
Geforce 6600
2mb ADSL through a Wireless router.

Out of interest I installed PE yesterday on my laptop and had exactly the same thing happen...

seems fairly normal to me, I get that all the time, the more mobs you can see the more work your pc has to do (drawing mobs) and the more information MA have to send you.

I find that if I'm in 1st person view with the herd behind me (out of view) I can get by ok

btw it's worse for me when hundreds of Molisks are around and someone is using an Adj V1 then I more or less freeze up, maybe 3 fps :(

Extoo,
It sounds to me like you use 3rd person view for hunting, that may be the problem. I've always been a 1st person player and decided to check out 3rd person and auto targeting and all that good stuff. I noticed I missed more shots and had more lag in 3rd person view.

As Mistydawn mentioned, when your PC is drawing more mobs it's working harder... 3rd person view will force it to draw mobs 360 degrees around you instead of <180 degrees...

Your PC specs sounds like you should be operating well enough... Do you have AA at 4x? That could be part of the issue. Also, make sure you indicate in the options tab of the CL that your internet connection speed is well below what you have. For instance I'm setting on a 3Mb line but I show in the CL my connection is 512K...

I hope this helps! :)

how much of that 2mb connection do you actually get you utilize? if your pullin a fifth of it, then you may experience it. i recommend you check out pcpitstop.com and use the upload/download tests/checks and maybe fine tune the NIC you use. are the drivers up to date on it? and has your MOBO had an update released? My guess is that its the servers (i have the same thing with Counterstrike on a shitty 30 tick server or 66tick) my recommendation: rely on your first person mode for aiming and firing. It has yet to fail me. dont rely on the computer to aim and fire flawlessly. because it wont. i dont know about the difference in reload times, but i know that my avi's aim sucks compared to mine.

Viper81883 said:
but i know that my avi's aim sucks compared to mine.

I reckon that this is due to the fact that if the target is moving even slightly then when manually aiming we tend to 'aim off' slightly whereas the auto-aim fires at where the target was at the time when you aimed not where it is now.

Also on some mobs there are certain areas to aim at depending on which way they are looking, e.g. Atrox from behind - right up it's ass, from the side - on the shoulder, from the front - either on the forehead or the top of its chest.
Auto-aim just fires roughly in the right direction imo...

If that makes sense?

it does make sense, and i assumed that this was the reason. however i am too new to know the validity of my assumptions. so i just went ahead and aimed for the head/mouth/chest or certain creatures (i've noticed a large amount of difference in damage inflicted depending on where it registers)

The size of the mob also makes a difference, if an Exar Stalker then 3rd person auto-aim is fine for me and I can chat on the 'phone for an hour however if something like a Bristlehog then I need to aim manually if I want to save wasting ammo. ;)

Having said that I just remembered that Longu's are massive and auto-aim is awful on those compared to manually aiming, dunno how those can be missed when they're stood 2m's in front on me :dunno:

Back