T-Mobile Web'n'Walk Users

*DUDE*

Provider
Society
The Drow
Lynx Dude Zero
Hi

Does anyone else in the UK use one of T-Mobile's Web'n'Walk USB devices to connect to E.U? I do, but ever since the update i can log in to E.U., have connection for a few minutes but then i lose connection to the server but am able to view web pages etc on my desktop or log staight back in to E.U. (only to be kicked again).

Support case sent to both Mindarc and T-Mobile. I didn't play for a few days before the update so im not sure if it was this that is causing problems or my internet connection (ive had issues in the past with T-mobile).

Anyone having similar issues or have any suggestions?

ps. my first thread after years on this forum :ahh: (shame)

+ i should have put this in the Tech forum oops...

Last edited:
A web page is different to playing EU because once the page is downloaded it's in your browser cache and doesn't need to communicate constantly with the server in most cases...EU does need constant and reliable communication with the MA servers to function. The web n walk option won't have enough bandwidth to play reliably IMO , I tried poker with one a while ago and it couldn't keep that going and kept losing connection. That was an Orange one that apparently was best in my area...if that was good I'd hate to see bad though :laugh: .

I'd hate to see how much going over the download allowance would cost you if you managed to run EU (or even download a VU as they aren't small)...they !!!! you when you exceed your monthly allowance or simply reduce your speeds which is why I gave the idea up for now. 3 gig a month isn't a lot and "fair use" is open to their interpretation isn't it?

One day this kind of thing will be awesome.

t

I've been using the webn'walk to play E.U for a couple of months now and it been fine, better than that actually, no lag - no problems. The 3 gig a month limit is a slight concern but t-mobile said that its not a problem as long as im not streaming video too much or using pier 2 pier as they would first look at why i had gone over and contact me, if it was ligitimate useage then they wouldnt act which is nice.

The problem does seem to be with the network locally at any rate and t-mobile are trying to sort it out. I dont have a choice in using this connection or something similar as i cant get a fixed line connection where im living right now. The only other option is a rather dodgy WiFi provider and i had huge problems with lag when i used that, the signal strengh is too low and i guess i was losing data packages or something.

It's been over a week without playing now .... my trigger finger is getting itchy :laugh:

Mobile Broadband

As we have moved away from home for the summer to a campsite, "No Trailor Trash comments, ive herd them all lol". I decied to get Mobile Broadband, im using the Vodaphone one and it works best about midday, the network is shared similar to cable broadband so more ppl on slower it gets, perhaps there is a lot of activity in your area. Worth also setting the speed to lowest setting in client loader.

x
Zelda

As we have moved away from home for the summer to a campsite, "No Trailor Trash comments, ive herd them all lol". I decied to get Mobile Broadband, im using the Vodaphone one and it works best about midday, the network is shared similar to cable broadband so more ppl on slower it gets, perhaps there is a lot of activity in your area. Worth also setting the speed to lowest setting in client loader.

x
Zelda

You'll get no "Trailor Trash" comments from me seeing as that is exactly what i've done too, lol. Living by the side of a lake i waterski on. :cool:

They upgraded the network around here last year so it is fairly zippy when it works and i dont see too much change at different time of day. i use to have a vodafone contract before this one but in my area the signal strengh is poor.

... ive tried setting the connection speed to its lowest and even forced the connection to 2G instead of 3G (the only way i could get it to work last time i had a problem) but none of it has help so far :scratch2:

I'm fairly sure there is a problem with the t-mobile mast or something, just as before, so i guess i'll just have to wait and see. 48hour response time is what i was told by tech support so ill have my EU life back by Friday hopfully !!

... ive tried setting the connection speed to its lowest and even forced the connection to 2G instead of 3G (the only way i could get it to work last time i had a problem) but none of it has help so far :scratch2:

You'll want to try and move away from that 2G setting, 2G (or GPRS) gives at maximum 56kbit/sec - dial up speed. Whereas 3G is a lot faster, commonly 300kbit/sec or more depending on your modem/location/network.

In addition, the latency (ping) with 2G is always a lot higher than 3G for me, which could be causing problems for you. Have you tried any other 3G modems? E.g phone attached to computer.

Have you tried any other 3G modems? E.g phone attached to computer.

No, i could install my phone as a modem and test that i guess, ive done that in the past and it ran really quite smooth.

I might just take the pc into work and see if it connects there smoothly on the LAN. Its a cube system so it packs up nice for travel :D

Or maybe just a re install the game? maybe something has corrupted in the update ... but i dont get any error messages or actually crash, only lose connection to the server so is it worth it? it will take a few hours and be a huge chunk of the data allowance im supposed to keep to. :scratch2:

.. oh yeah T-Mobile got back to me and said that they have checked the local area network and investigated the times a had given them as examples of my problem and nothing seems to be wrong at their end. ive given them the port addresses that were given out by MA not long ago to check that but as it all worked before that last update i doubt that that is it ...

MA think it is a firewall issue, but disabling all internet security makes absolutely no difference. so im waiting on their next response...

Last edited:
Hi, just an update incase anyone else is following this.

Mindarc have had me run an application called Pingplotter and i have sent them the results, hopefully they will be able to work out my issue from this .......... fingers crossed :laugh:

I can play Entropia using Verizon's Aircard without any issues. Maybe it is faster that T-Mobile?

Here are the results from pingplotter i have sent to MA. Can anyone shed any light on these results for me? i dont really know what im looking for lol.

pingplotterresult_482487.jpg

Back