Teaming: plain simple non-adjusted Damage Share Loot?

LathaSerevi

Young
I'd like to be part of some teams that skip the whole process of dividing up large single loots. Instead, we would just set up the team as Damage Share Loot and let the chips fall where they may. If you get a loot, you keep it. Yes, it's more of a gamble. It's still what I would choose. Of course, this is all spelled out in advance. I invite your thoughtful commentary.

BUT WAIT! Before you make the hundredth reply to the effect that you would NEVER want to do this, please consider refraining from comment unless you think you have something new to share. I UNDERSTAND that there is a strong consensus that the One True Way for team hunts is to equally divide all large single HOFs. I am simply discussing an alternative, to be agreed in advance by all team members. I would prefer that the discussion of my alternative not be drowned out in repetitive statements of the One True Way. Thank you. :)

THE PROPOSAL:
Create a team using Damage Share Loot, with NO other rules. Team members keep any loot they get, with no manual sharing-out and nothing owed to anybody. Free weapons choice (perhaps within a loose range such as "suggested 8 to 25 DPS"). Come and go as you please. Try to work together, and have fun out there!

VALID POINTS IN FAVOR:
-- Simplicity and no waiting around. Saves a LOT of time and hassle.
-- Less trust required! Nobody can "run off with" a big loot, because it's already theirs.
-- Less reason we must all use the same DPS: expected reward is always proportional to damage.
-- No stress or arguing. Whatever happens, happens, and you're done. Cheating is not even possible.
-- Come and go as you wish. Go AFK. Use a popgun or a cannon. Whatever. Slacking isn't an issue.

NEUTRAL POINTS:
-- Doesn't change the fact that paid fappers, if any, must be compensated manually.
-- Teams with wild imbalances in DPS may feel dysfunctional, even if this method gives fair compensation to all.

VALID POINTS AGAINST:
-- To many, it feels unfair for a big single loot to be randomly awarded and not split, even if it works out on average.
-- Did I mention that, to many, it feels REALLY REALLY UNFAIR when a teammate gets lucky and they don't?
-- Sharing equally is conducive to team spirit. This feels less so.
-- Everybody likes to get more HOFs, even if it's only part of one. This gives you fewer (if bigger) rewards.
-- This increases variance, and hedging your bets is usually a good idea.
-- To the extent that you want rewards to NOT be proportional to damage, this doesn't meet your needs.
-- Fapping your friend requires even more generous self-sacrifice than otherwise (by a little bit).

DUBIOUS POINTS AGAINST:
-- I don't want someone who takes one shot with an Opalo to have ANY chance at the big single loot. [I hear you, but that would systematically discriminate against the little guy.]
-- It's selfish not to want to share. [IMO the two methods are equally selfish or unselfish. Not-sharing is just more of a gamble.]
-- The mobs always chew on the big DPS guy, and that's unfair. [I can't prove this wrong, but I'd be surprised if the chances of the mob chewing on the little guy weren't proportional to his damage.]

COMPLETELY WRONG POINTS AGAINST:
-- It doesn't work out on average that everyone gets reward proportional to damage. [wrong.]
-- The little guy always loses. [wrong. they get a chance at the big loots too.]
-- The little guy gets a free ride. [wrong. they pay a little, and get a little expected return.]

I was hopeful that I might use this approach to join some more diverse teams, and see people using a bigger variety of weapons. But so far, in society and one-on-one chats, I've found NOBODY who likes this idea. Zero for thirty and counting. Huh! Seems natural to me. I'd like to hear your fresh ideas, and especially to hear from people who like this team setup or have used it before.

Thanks
Professor Latha Serevi
Sergeant, NBK Legion

In your own list there are fewer pros than cons... why does it surprise you that people don't like the idea?

I've seen teams where it's 'lucky looter' and they work, you're right in saying it will all balance out on average, but most people don't want to wait as long as that would take.

There are people out there who will join a team like this, just have to find them. GL :)

How come you got accepted in NBK with that thinking?

If you got that thinking, and asking around, its because it might only happen for you to do it now or later while ur in a such a classical team hunt...

I hope NBK is aware of this, and i wonder if u ever participate in the hunts they do...

IMO, ive been in nbk, and i would totally go off ppl like you and anyone who are friends with you... and there been a time where nbk wouldnt even accept that thinking...

I hope any high soc NBK respond to this...

Also, i think there no "I" in team... and working your ass up to only let someone beside you profit and you dont, is beeing so selfish and unfriendly... so why would u get friend ready to do that?

Also, loot drop is been said by MA itself, its random, so even a noob who do 1 click can have the item.

Last edited:
Items in loot fall just random among team members , not maxed damage done on mob ,

Took a noob into pvp at fort argus for some big argos. He fapped with his tiny vivo i used the tt power fist

guess who got the cbs that we looted , Both times did he get the items , really lucky we had agreed we would share the loot as he used a small gun sometimes too

Yes, I participate in lots of NBK hunts, where we carefully share out globals/hofs equally and are pretty careful about all using the same setup. It's a more tightly controlled format than I prefer, hence this discussion. NBK likes me just fine, thanks, perhaps because I'm a helpful teammate and <cough> I think before I speak.

L.

I feel the same way op. The loot falls as it may. I don't like the idea of trying to second guess the enigmatic and mostly misunderstood (by me anyway) loot system. Seems like there are many scenarios where manual loot splitting can cause an imbalance that is actually the fault of the players. At least by accepting the loot that comes up in your window for what it is you only have to worry about one source of unfairness, one that is completely inescapable if you mine or craft: MA loot system itself.

I would love to add you to FL and team hunt like this from time to time. I am not a really hardcore player so I hope you won't expect a constant companion.

I also think it's strange that so many people feel (so strongly) like dotcom has just expressed. :eyecrazy:

Back