The Events -- A Great Idea

Kludge

Alpha
Society
Running with Scissors
Kludge
They were a great idea! That, anytime more than 30 characters gather in someplace other than PA or Twin Peaks ... LAG RULES... is really stupid!

OK, so maybe they put in seperate servers for PA and TP to help reduce the lag ... They should have extra servers available for events at least.

We -- CoL are having an event on the 5th and I really hope it isn't this nasty!
I mean events are scheduled and you can move server load.

Sorry, I do consult on things like this for mission critical applications.
Meaning that if I had a failure like that I'd be out of a job ...

Never happened yet :> Never even anything close to the disaster MA is running with Events.... sorry I've never had more than 1k connections at once... so I guess my experience is limited. 30 must be tough to deal with!

Sigh

OK,
moaning without suggesting a solution ...

How about, looking at what you send client side ... really look.
How much of it needs to go how often?
Clean that up!
The client seems to handle loss ... ok? so far but crashes.

Look at what parts of the server side are eating up memory.
Clean that up!

That's the easy part.

Kludge

btw the good deinition of kludge is something like --
"an inelegant solution to solve a particularly difficult problem" :>

One dictionary has it as --
a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.

I'm sure ND has or will talk to MA about this. (at least if what happend last night happens again)

Last week's event went through smooth anyway, and it was great.

I hope there will be no probs tomorrow during the Hangover event so all of us can have a good time

k gl all & happy new year

MMOWC Qualifying events were close to this size Lag was not an issue. Crowding was, but not Lag..

it appears the Threshold is around 120 People, the pattern I observed last night is as soon as it drops back down to 100 things ease up again...

I think because CND has been accomodating just medium Sized crowds (Due to Transport issues) over the course of the Year, this is the first time we've really put the Server to test and so its very clear that if Im going to create large scale events. CND will need another dedicated server in the event areas.
For MA the question will be is CND going to continue to test the limits or drop back to manageable levels...?

I Say We Need to some more Hardware baby!!!

I agree with ND. MA needs to fix the hardware.

If it would not been for the lag the event would have been great.

ND you did the best you could do and it was great that you phoned MA.:whip:

+ rep from me

I did some hunting today and it´s still lagging and everything freezez now and then. :mad:

/Tom TG Goldfoot

OK, now they learned something about load balancing :>
The events on the second day went much smoother,
although there were complaints of loot lag and rubberbanding.

Get better, stronger, faster servers and net connections MA!

Still look at my advice above :>

Kludge

Back