The legal status of virtual goods - Lawyers Weekly Canada

Are we going to be paying GST too?
:lolup:

I dont know. I have not read any books on virtual property, tax law, and countries outside the US. Sorry bout that. Once I become satisfied with my level of knowledge of US law I'll branch out into areas I dont actually live in.

That question was looking for an actual answer from someone who... you know, might actually have a clue.
I've had enough of your bs for one day.

If income tax is applied to EU, will GST also be applied? If not, why not?
If someone who has an idea can answer, or offer insight, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

That question was looking for an actual answer from someone who... you know, might actually have a clue.
I've had enough of your bs for one day.

If income tax is applied to EU, will GST also be applied? If not, why not?
If someone who has an idea can answer, or offer insight, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Holy shit dude. Youve taken it upon yourself to post on every single fucking thread I have replied on, quoting me directly, and you have had enough of my BS?

Youre a fucking creep. A weirdo. What? Did me calling you out on having 3 avatars and being a compulsive gambler who cant stay away from this game unhinge you? Look, if you cant handle the truth, change it. Dont start stalking someone in an attempt to creep them out with your unbalanced and aberrant psychological behavior.

Get some help. Leave me the fuck alone, in the meantime. I have tried to be much more polite than has been warranted by your replies. You have some serious issues.

Yes the GST would be charged as well as PST (provincial sales tax) unless you live in Alberta like I do then just GST. :p As GST is a tax that applies to most services and products other then government, non profit, and medical, GST applies. :)

That's a very interesting thing.
Been thinking of it while reading all of you.

If one day some external governemental official instances "can" put their noze on mindark's datas, you can be sure that this game will have a huge turn on its way to work, which honnestly I doubt we'll see it soon, even I would wish it.

Mindark beeing taxed from internal trades = some lawyers checking that all is done fairly.
And I bet the govt instances would certainly want to check the previous years too...

These are important questions that need to be answered before governments can tax virtual worlds. They wont be answered anytime soon because the people making the laws dont have a clue what they're talking about here.

Holy shit dude. Youve taken it upon yourself to post on every single fucking thread I have replied on, quoting me directly, and you have had enough of my BS?

Youre a fucking creep. A weirdo. What? Did me calling you out on having 3 avatars and being a compulsive gambler who cant stay away from this game unhinge you? Look, if you cant handle the truth, change it. Dont start stalking someone in an attempt to creep them out with your unbalanced and aberrant psychological behavior.

One has to accept this kind of behaviour from the internet Magyar. I can scarcely make a paragraph without someone giving me a red dot over it, whether or not they read or understood the point.

The skill is to not respond. It would appear trolls are evolving, so must we.Ask yourself if a troll ever made a cogent point.

Just a thouhgt, but in Canada you dont pay taxes on lottery winnings, or am i wrong there? If not, then you could argue that this game is very much a lottery with the way loot is distributed from common(no winning) to globals(small winnings ie..$200 or less) up to ubers of 10K plus($1000 or more). So an argument could be made that you need not pay taxes on it.

Just a thouhgt, but in Canada you dont pay taxes on lottery winnings, or am i wrong there? If not, then you could argue that this game is very much a lottery with the way loot is distributed from common(no winning) to globals(small winnings ie..$200 or less) up to ubers of 10K plus($1000 or more). So an argument could be made that you need not pay taxes on it.
In order to get it classified for lottery status, there would need to be an investigation into how the distribution of the loot is calculated etc. If found that it does qualify as a lottery then the game could be argued in other countries as being a lottery and thus be illegal in some countries.

This would cause a problem and most likely in this scenario force MA to shut its doors. MA has already had investigation done on the game and has been been found that it isn't a lottery. So nope this wouldn't happen.

Besides, Canada loves to tax income then give you back a tax return every year in order to create more jobs. ;)

False. 100% wrong. Profits from gambling , or hobbies, even theft, are totally taxable - at least in the U.S.A.

I'm pretty sure the first $500 of gambling income is not taxable in the U.S.

MA has already had investigation done on the game and has been been found that it isn't a lottery.

Lotteriinspektionen in Sweden did rule EU wasn't a lottery, but from the reasoning leading up to that ruling my personal view is that they were duped. That said, even if they had not been duped, Swedish law is currently so fucked up in this area it's almost impossible to become a "lottery" unless explicitly runs it as such.

We (current customers), however, already have proof that you can indeed gain more than your bet (HoF @ Gateway is the most obvious), making it pretty clear for us knowing the laws involved that EU is a lottery.

The "fun" part is that many of MA's customers think, some even "know", it's gambling, the single ruling authority based on outdated laws referring only to real-world items and actions, find there's not enough proof to claim it's a lottery.

MA operates in the shadowland between legal and illegal, and that's why they have managed to get away with all they have done over the years. Put a competent prosecutor full-time to look at what MA has done - not every incident in isolation, but all at once to establish a pattern - and I'm not entirely convinced they'd walk away from that with the current share price of 0.10-0.18 USD.

Back