The Planet Partner Effect

What is the most reasonable expected outcome of this scenario?

• A

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • B

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • C

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • D

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most on these forums seem pretty damn certain that loot waves do happen during events (such as migration of mayhem). Or am I wrong?

I suppose that doesn't translate into random loot waves during non-event periods. Looking at it from MA's perspective it just wouldn't make any sense. Whereas for events it could be used as a method to lure people in so they keep shooting away their PEDs through the entire event :dunce:

I guess some percentage of loot is tied to activity in real time, i.e. each hour x% of peds in the loot pool will be given back. The more peds spent on decay and the more spend at TT (also more auctions placed etc) the greater the influx of peds into the loot pool and the greater the return should be in that period.

At the start of events there is likely a peak in spending, i.e. lots of armour repairs and lots of ammo bought at the TT, which correlates to the initial event loot wave. Once people believe the wave is starting more people join in which only enforces the wave further. I'm guessing a lot of people who start the event give up after the first few days or just run out of peds so the initial spike goes and the wave drops.

My point being is that this event wave nature could be logically explained without the idea that MA is trying to fiddle with the loot pool as an initial lure. The more prosperous the economy the better the loot :).

So matt, are you making the case that non peak times (us hours) are the worst for returns?

In US

The correct answer is, any time I hunt loot is bad.......

I guess some percentage of loot is tied to activity in real time, i.e. each hour x% of peds in the loot pool will be given back.
Easy to disprove. At D-day Alan comes by and walks away with a few weeks worth of loot. And your theory... well, kinda goes down the drain with it. :laugh:

You quoted ZPF btw, who was referring to rare loot waves vs low mu loot waves. Those have historically been easier to predict, in some cases (eg. shrooms in the old Cyclops cave) it was ridiculously easy.
Waves of TT-return, is a completely different story. I don't know anyone who can predict those. Or if I know then I'm not aware he can do it. :)

Waves of TT-return, is a completely different story. I don't know anyone who can predict those. Or if I know then I'm not aware he can do it. :)
This wave, is the secret or mystery to cracking the lootpool, the last piece of the pussle. I've found no way to crack it so to speak, however a good rule of thumb is to keep track of avg loot, and compare to cost per kill if the cost to kill - loot = return 50% over 20 mobs best to stop / change mob etc. This way you keep your losses at minimum. However it really ain't suited for a grinder.

So matt, are you making the case that non peak times (us hours) are the worst for returns?

My case is that the loot on average across the universe should be the same regardless of the hour of play and so is therefore connected to the level of activity within the universe at that particular time. Rather than the alternative whereby the return is constant across time, which would mean better returns during non peak times as one would have fewer people to share the loot pool with...

Therefore your personal loot would be better if everyone in your time zone just created a bunch of auctions but you were hunting :D.

This wave, is the secret or mystery to cracking the lootpool, the last piece of the pussle. I've found no way to crack it so to speak, however a good rule of thumb is to keep track of avg loot, and compare to cost per kill if the cost to kill - loot = return 50% over 20 mobs best to stop / change mob etc. This way you keep your losses at minimum. However it really ain't suited for a grinder.

Sorry.. I read that as last piece of the pussie. Then realized you meant puzzle. :]

It's a myth.

This happens because items you haven't looted since the last VU take a moment to find and load the thumbnail to show in the loot notification, while shrammo and other common stuff already have thumbnails cached.

If you loot a gun and a pile of shrap:
  • in loot notifications shrap shows instantly but the gun appears 0.2...2.0 (depending on your rig) seconds later;
  • but in the team chat the gun shows up first, before shrap.

Here's an example:

(compare what you see in team chat and in the notifications)

The typical order of loot in team chat is:
  • items
  • shrap
  • components/extractors/oils
  • ammo

In times of lag it often gets messed up, and different team members may even see lines in different order.

edit2: apologies 5$, I know this is perpendicular to the topic at hand :D but 'loot wave' myths must be busted

I very rarely deal in absolutes but you are 100% wrong in regards to loot waves(I am not referring to TT returns but specific items). It is very easy to see in the marcimex cave and even easier to see on low populated planets. I made a living off it on rocktropia for a long time. Marcimex has some time variances but still follows a pattern. It can be predicted down to a single minute on rocktropia and we all know ND is not going to invest time into time variances of loot.

So you will never bust this "myth" because it is everywhere in the game.

I very rarely deal in absolutes but you are 100% wrong in regards to loot waves(I am not referring to TT returns but specific items). It is very easy to see in the marcimex cave and even easier to see on low populated planets. I made a living off it on rocktropia for a long time. Marcimex has some time variances but still follows a pattern. It can be predicted down to a single minute on rocktropia and we all know ND is not going to invest time into time variances of loot.

So you will never bust this "myth" because it is everywhere in the game.

The myth here is that delays in loot notifications have anything to do with the waves.

Three posts on:

Loot waves are real, both during events and outside them. Just that lots of what is being asserted about and around loot waves has no real basis.

Back