The Ponzi Scam, Windfall.

raeky

Dominant
Society
Soldiers of Fortune - C
Racona raeky Donga
The recent Ponzi scam (link) that was recently purpotrated on the Entropian citizens leaves me to wonder exactly how widespread this was. Here is my "consierpciy" theory.

1. The main public guy who is doing the scam, collecting the money and paying out individuals.
2. This person then uses friends to "invest" in his scam like everyone else except in larger amounts of money, thousands of peds.
3. This person then pays out everyone in the first inital group with the friends large ped "investments," except these large investers.
4. They then wait for the word to spread and more investers to come, they then contiune to get investers and pay out others. Hopefully many of the inital investers will decide to reinvest, or not withdrawl their peds yet, send them through another "cycle"
5. When there is a sufficent amount of money in the fund, the inital friends get their payout at amazeing profit. 400-500% or so. These friends then keep their major profit and reinvest a few thousand more peds.
6. At this point the whole system colapses. Enough public attention has been brought to it MindArk takes notice and bans the inital scammers account.
7. They then start investigateing and traceing the money. Hopefully there was so many transactions and so much money being moved arround and split up and sent to so many accounts that mindark will be unable to find out where the majority of it went. A huge chunk of it went to these inital major funders, friends of the scammer.
8. MindArk just declares it a scam, and locks the account freezeing all the money, but not trying to punish any of the "investers" who made major profits from the scam. So these people who could of made thousands or even tens of thousands of peds will go unpunished and be able to keep their illgot gains.

This is a very real possiblity with this scam.

I received this PM on EP:

edited out by MindBuster said:
Edited out, reason below.

A month ago this wasn't very public, according to the scammer's own site it didn't go "public" until feb 10th or so. This would mean MudKicker was in contact with the scammer before the scammer even decided to start taking investers. This makes my conspercy theory even more possible. Although I have no proof of MudKicker's involvement or anyone elses. it does raise very intresting questions.

Q: What would be a realitively safe way to make several thousand peds for a few of your friends and not expose them to much risk?

A: A new avatar that started a scam like a Ponzi scam, and your friends became the inital investers and received windfall profits from the scam.

The inital friends would be aware that it was a scam, and that they'd be paid back with scammed money, but since they'll be acting like the other people who got scammed, and individually they wouldn't be getting a major % of the scammed money, but collectively they could get a big bulk of it. And have almost no risk of being identified as part of the scam, since so many people would of made profits from it.

I think this is far more serious then one scammer... I think it is possible some of the investers where part of the scam. And I think mindark should do a very deep investigation of this scam. Everyone who participated, knownly or not, received profit from a scam. This is a serious thing.

(excuse all my spelling mistakes, its late ;-))

Last edited by a moderator:
im sure she did ...

but like most of the times she got a point here :p

interesting, as I said in the other thread, the only proper action for MA is to lock all of the accounts until they unravel the cashflow. It is very wrong that these people, whether they knew it or not, profited off of fellow players. I do not think most meant any harm, to the contrary, I beleive they did not know they were screwing their fellow Entropians. However, ignorance is NOT bliss in this situation and everything should be made right...at whatever cost...

DD
:evilking:

I can't belive Mudkicked would send you a PM like that. :(

*sigh* Also I was so disgusted with the idiots arguing against you and going in circles that I am glad Dino locked the post on EP. Everytime you brought up a great point they would ignore it and repeat their last post. God I can't stand idiots sometimes. :mad:
I was ready to send you a PM apologising for those morons and their ignorance. :rolleyes:

Your theory seems very likely! Once again a great post, but that's what's to be expected of raeky - a crazy post that for some reason makes perfect sense (and is a long read!). :silly2: :laugh:

I'm very suprised by the stubborness of some people after this event though, It was shocking to see how many people are so blind to how something works(the ponzi scheme) even after reading about it! In one ear and out the other.. oh well. :dunce:

Edit: Oh and what I think should be done is what many others have been saying.. every account should be locked until the cash goes back to the correct avatars. Leaving it how it is(with only one locked account) just makes it a halfway succesfull scam.. and if this theory proves true - a fully succesfull one.

Last edited:
i agree but i have one question....

what the hell is windfall ?!?

Oy!
Ok- this IS a definite possibility. However, there is no Proof of this. Let's wait and see what MA decides.
If any1 partook in this scheme knowlingly then of course they should be punished appropriately...

*il said:
i agree but i have one question....

what the hell is windfall ?!?

windfall

An unexpected profit or gain. An investor holding a stock that increases greatly in price because of an unexpected takeover offer receives a windfall.

This certainly seem like a theory that could have been the case this time.
I had a hard time beliving he was able to do that wide scam all by himself after all. If it WAS a scam that is. If he's not locked for investigations. I dunno.

But good theory tho, and nice explained. Even dumb, originally blonde, norwegian girls understand it :thumbup:

Skam said:
But good theory tho, and nice explained. Even dumb, originally blonde, norwegian girls understand it :thumbup:

Well your cute and we love you. *hugs*

Thanks, ;-)

raeky said:
Well your cute and we love you. *hugs*

Thanks, ;-)

cute, dumb orginally blonde loveable norwegian bunny then ^_^
:hug:

sry for offtopic just want hug :saint:

All this talk of IF it was a scam makes me sick. There is no question the dude was pulling the "ponzi" scam. WhaT MORE DO YOU PPL WANT AS PROOF???????

DD
Drunk and angry!!

There's a big difference between solid proof and strong evidence.

dude named himself after on of the guys alter egos. we all know that kind of return is not possible any other way. don't be nieve...

DD

and I add...

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a freaking duck, it is a god damned duck!

DD

DD you might be sure of your case but as long as there hasnt been any real proof Ill continure saying "if".

Innocent until proven otherwise.

Skam said:
DD you might be sure of your case but as long as there hasnt been any real proof Ill continure saying "if".

Innocent until proven otherwise.

Aye- agreed. No matter the outcome, every1 ought to be treated equally irl and in PE until judgment has been passed

May i drop it back to topic?

Anny of you know the "Snowball Efect" ?

This is a simple example for it.

The cashflow runs only so long there investors who invest & willing to wait for theyr payout.
It works like a pyramid. The upper one gets the profit & thext wil go on the first place in que until the payout is invested.
The last investors look for the next investor to get a grade up into the direction for the top of the pyramid for his payout.

Like it normal is. The lowest take the highest risk. I from my point would never put a cent into a thing like this until iam not shure its legal on PE.
In RL it is a legal method to earn fast money. But it is also a kind of Bingo Game. So i have the following to sugest.

If you like Lotto, Or bingo & you not care about to loose a few PEDs, feel free to try & not be anger if the system brakes before you got your payout.

I wonder why the initiator not informs about it, it would legalize the thing.

All who take part of this are free willing to do this, so it is not a scam like a regular one. Everyone has to make his own desicion if he like to take part of a Money Game like this.

I for my point wil not take part.

Your
Rasta

P.S

Good Luck to all who take part of it ;)

Rasta said:
May i drop it back to topic?

Anny of you know the "Snowball Efect" ?

This is a simple example for it.

The cashflow runs only so long there investors who invest & willing to wait for theyr payout.
It works like a pyramid. The upper one gets the profit & thext wil go on the first place in que until the payout is invested.
The last investors look for the next investor to get a grade up into the direction for the top of the pyramid for his payout.

Like it normal is. The lowest take the highest risk. I from my point would never put a cent into a thing like this until iam not shure its legal on PE.
In RL it is a legal method to earn fast money. But it is also a kind of Bingo Game. So i have the following to sugest.
at it's worst this is only morally reprehensible :wise:

Copy-and-paste of my reply on EP, with a few edits. If I am scamming EFD, please lock me :D

We got some clues about him being a scammer.

- First of all, I don't remember Burelli telling his customers what he was doing with their money. Trading Mind Essence, high-end items... Could be anything. However, no one can get such a profit in such a short time by doing this. Talented (and dedicated) traders like Aziphirael may be able to get decent profit on a long run and on large amounts.
If you are skeptical, think about it, does buying stuff then selling it back for twice as much money all day long makes sense for you ? Market prices would drop in a heartbeat, and your fame would as well. So, no, you would definitely not be able to do this on a long run.

- Another thing. Did anyone see him on the auction boards ? I'm not playing much, but I'm logging a few times a day. No matter when I logged, he was always advertising his business in Port Atlantis.

- Don't you think that if he was honest, he would create another account, deposit some cash and pay back the investers who put all of their trust on him ? Who cares about money, if he can get that much profit over little time, he would be able to cover his own losses.

- If it isn't a Ponzi scheme, then why does he need to have backup funds in order to pay the investers back ?

MindArk will clarify the rest of this case themselves.

radical said:
at it's worst this is only morally reprehensible :wise:

Sry, Radical.
I had to consult my diary befor i was shure about what you mean :D

Ok, iam still not shure but think iam not to far away from understanding what you meaned :)

But simple i think youre right, He should inform his investors about that :)

P.S
If it is & not is a real Scam instead a "Snowball" ;)

Your.
Rasta

Franck said:
, I don't remember Burelli telling his customers what he was doing with their money. Trading Mind Essence, high-end items... Could be anything.

I asked one of his "victims" about this when he tried to make me invest (he did offer commission, like any other pyramid scheme). Aparently, Burrelis "method" for such huge profits was that he would buy large quantities of one particular raw material, and then sell it all when the prices had tripled.

It seemed very unlikely, even coming from an entusiastic noob. But all I did was watch him in port atlantis with the same content I watch people selling tt items to noobs for three times their value. However, those noobs deserve some pity, they do not know better, people not seing Burelli Investment for what it really is (was) have only themselves to blame.

Then again, I might just be cynical, but atleast I find such scams hillarious. If you trust thousands of peds on a complete stranger, with a vague buisness idea, you really deserve nothing better.

Rasta said:
If it is & not is a real Scam instead a "Snowball" ;)

A pyramid scheme or ponzi scheme are still scams...

Scheme: a crafty, unethical, or fraudulent project <a scheme to defraud investors>

raeky said:
A pyramid scheme or ponzi scheme are still scams...

Scheme: a crafty, unethical, or fraudulent project <a scheme to defraud investors>

Youre right.

But if the investors are informed about the risk, it is theyr own problem.

No risk, no Bingo :)

Rasta said:
Youre right.

But if the investors are informed about the risk, it is theyr own problem.

No risk, no Bingo :)

You know it's a risk going into a pyramid scheme, which means your a part of it!
Cause the only ppl who will loose are the ones who go in last. Your just as part of the scam as the the one who started it!

Faustian said:
You know it's a risk going into a pyramid scheme, which means your a part of it!
Cause the only ppl who will loose are the ones who go in last. Your just as part of the scam as the the one who started it!
:wise:

Morality : A lot of players have to be locked, because they were all part of the scam...

If I were part of MindArk staff, I would say : "Do it as soon as they deposit or ask for a withdraw !" :evilking:

Franck said:
:wise:

Morality : A lot of players have to be locked, because they were all part of the scam...

If I were part of MindArk staff, I would say : "Do it as soon as they deposit or ask for a withdraw !" :evilking:

These scams have being going on in Bars and Taverns for decades! It's nothing new, only fools or fellow scammers join them!

Faustian said:
These scams have being going on in Bars and Taverns for decades! It's nothing new, only fools or fellow scammers join them!
How high is your Alcohol Knowledge skill Faustian ? Mind selling some ? :D

Franck said:
How high is your Alcohol Knowledge skill Faustian ? Mind selling some ? :D

I am Arch Master Alcoholic... I fear not what I am.
An it harm none, do what thou wilt. :wise:

Back