Thoughts on Marco's 'State of Play' Post

Who says we can't ride animals now? (although I haven't tried the dragons yet) Yes they bite, but pets should be nice to ride.

Who says you can't move past the server borders, and enter the "space" between Eudoria and Amethera?

I've been in "space" (101km up), the graphics need to be adjusted so the planets, asteroids, and moons can be seen as a 3-d image that is distance proportional to your "altitude".

Keeping animals from gathering at server boundaries should be a simple task. And "space" should kill anything that is out of a vehicle. (except the "space" dragons of course)

Unlimited means that the spaceships will not be height limited. After you reach a certain height you will be moved to the "space" server(s).

Just some random thoughts.....

OberonNightSeer

My first thought on seeing the mention of old systems and their ETAs was something that I had already thought before - Promise Broken... A promise was made to have all old systems back in by the end of the year and it looks like we may get ONE or TWO at most. Great job MA, good to see that it is business as usual, wouldn't want to see you change and NOT break promises.

On the other hand, thank you Marco for the update news, I see that MA now gets to frustrate you with the infamous "soon" as well now.

This tells me that old systems are not back yet because they've been busy creating a new asteroid/land area to sell because they're so broke.

Menace

So what FPC is creating to sell is hurting the ability of MA to put systems back in? MA is responsible for getting the old systems up and running, the new sale they mentioned is going to be FPC content - totally unrelated.

My first thought on seeing the mention of old systems and their ETAs was something that I had already thought before - Promise Broken... A promise was made to have all old systems back in by the end of the year and it looks like we may get ONE or TWO at most. Great job MA, good to see that it is business as usual, wouldn't want to see you change and NOT break promises.

To be fair, i don't think MA have promise that all will be back before the end of 2010, the goal was that, but they have never promise anything :p

To be fair, i don't think MA have promise that all will be back before the end of 2010, the goal was that, but they have never promise anything :p

I'm still waiting for my jet pack that "someone" promised me......

OB

one of the way's i could imagine a space design to work would be to do the following:

using the previous system of hangars, your space vehicle gets "launched" in to space (you blackout bla bla, white screen, server loads, but instead of being on say cp/cnd/calypso etc. you land in a server which reflects the space area. there, you regain control of your spacecraft and are able to move around freely (well, vehicle style anyway). now to get back to the planet it would function sort of like a teleporter: you get close, you "activate" auto control and it will "black out" and automove you into planet orbit. here you get control over your vehicle again, and you can decide wether to head back to your hangar, or to a city, or somewhere else, whatever you prefer.
(p.s.: one of the explanations they can use is that due to heavy gravitational force your mind halts working due to blood pressure, but gets restarted by nanobots as soon as it is safe to do so again, and the nanobots also keep your body functions working...)

its one way i could see it work while NOT having a huge 3d space unconnected, due to the massive load/strain on servers and people this would probably cause...

On the other hand, thank you Marco for the update news, I see that MA now gets to frustrate you with the infamous "soon" as well now.

So what FPC is creating to sell is hurting the ability of MA to put systems back in? MA is responsible for getting the old systems up and running, the new sale they mentioned is going to be FPC content - totally unrelated.

So we pay them because they will encourage new entrants and not us players.:laugh:

Marco said:
Beacon missions are going to be part of the current missions system, but greatly expanded to allow for more than just robot ships – with it FPC can add a variety of instanced “dungeons” with different themes and styles.

Calypso citizens: We want beacons so we can kill bots in space!
Marco: Sounds great! Here are some underground dungeons.
Calypso citizens: :confused:

I guess the big boss on a 23 ped dungeon mission will be a Balrog gen 01

In all seriousness, it's always nice to get updates. Thanks Marco. :)

The move to more of a storyline has been on everyones lips since I started back in 2006. Now it seems that they want to add the story back into the game. Personally I can only say that it is bloody good thing. :yay:With out a story to follow there is only grinding and a few shiny things to distract the eye for a bit. ;) I do like my Vtol!! :D

As for all the great features we have been without since vu10 I am glad that they are putting some thought into why, when, what, and how it will be reimplemented. If it takes a bit more time for them to bring it all back then let them take the time as I would rather see the systems working to the ablities that the engine can offer. Better yet an ever expandable system that alows for the addition and expantion of more things :

1. Beacons: new places, mobs and storyline to contribute to it!!

2. Taming: as hinted riding mobs, maybe fighting mobs, and helping mobs!!

3. Beauty: This has the potential of being a system that could put EU on the map and bring more people here. I have alot of friends that play other mmo's and the common theme for them is the cutomization of thier avatar. The ability to bring out your inner thoughts, desires, and demons by the expression of your avatar is lacking in most if not all mmo's. ( not up to date on the mmo scene) ;)

a. makeup maskes that extend past the hairline: full body tats: already mentioned, scars and even birthmarks: and the ability to make your avatar stand out with some hedious growth extending from your neck ;) (You have been bitten by a boorum male and your "jeans" have been altered!! ) :yay:

4. Hangers: I think they might be on the right track with this one already. The implementation of space and the ability to actually fly the ships are going to be cool to say the least!! :) With any luck we maybe able to go to the asteroids and mine or hunt on them!!

Did I overstep my bounds??!! I surely hope not! This is a virtual universe, let us explore the possibilities of it all!! :D

for the bold part: although they said all sytems eta (EXPECTED time arrival, complications always are there with coding stuff) i dont think its fair to say we "only might get one or two back" since we already have alot back, depending on how you look at it. we have trading, avatar emotions, pvp, hunting, mining, crafting, mindforce, shops, landareas, events...

I guess the big boss on a 23 ped dungeon mission will be a Balrog gen 01

In all seriousness, it's always nice to get updates. Thanks Marco. :)

imho dungeons/instances should be understood in the broader sense of the word, as in being a secluded area where you (and your team) can go to do an event.

one of the way's i could imagine a space design to work would be to do the following:

using the previous system of hangars, your space vehicle gets "launched" in to space (you blackout bla bla, white screen, server loads, but instead of being on say cp/cnd/calypso etc. you land in a server which reflects the space ...........
working due to blood pressure, but gets restarted by nanobots as soon as it is safe to do so again, and the nanobots also keep your body functions working...)

its one way i could see it work while NOT having a huge 3d space unconnected, due to the massive load/strain on servers and people this would probably cause...

I'd rather see something that is more realistic than the obvious "fake" blackout.

Obie

So we waited eagerly for the end of the year only to be told 'maybe next year' :rolleyes:

Hangars will be put in the first FPC release after the new year. Initially the spaceships will not be a “space taxi” as before (as “space” will come in a later MindArk release). Instead, the space ships will work as unlimited flying vehicles. The hangars will once space is opened serve as an important part of the system.

does this mean the hanger owners won't be getting a share of the TP fees anymore?

Beauty/makeup is an important system for personal expression and creativity. I know it started development but was put on hold for the time being. I speculate that it can have something to do with the rumors of an upcoming avatar system update (maybe we will see a system where textures aren’t mirrored as they are today, allowing for more unique looks?).

No maybes, WE WILL be seeing a system that isn't mirrored and tell the development team that with abilities to save templates. Player created blueprints for makeup anyone?

We are also in the process of finalizing this year’s Christmas sale item. True to the tradition, December will feature a massive investment opportunity for the bold, much in the same vein as Treasure Island, Club Neverdie and Crystal Palace the years before it. This time it will be a newly constructed entity. More on this will emerge during November.

Are you really that skint?

Next year holds a lot of surprises, more missions, new mobs and much more focus on the above mentioned storyline and lore. MindArk is also taking a look at the “Big Three” (hunting, mining, and crafting) to see what kind of updates can be done to enhance the game play, excitement and enjoyment of those systems.

making them cheaper would be a bloody good start. Making it cheaper to play might bring depositing players back who've lost faith in MA's management of the economy and bring some good will from the rest. No more massive hof's and ath's or big highs and big lows, most play for enjoyment but knowing your deposit could last all month or 2 days doesn't instill confidence.

Last edited:

Well.. maybe the new improved beacons could go to both robot craft and hidden bases on planet?

I think dragon riding would be best left to Planet McAffree.

Well.. maybe the new improved beacons could go to both robot craft and hidden bases on planet?

a few of us have suggested caves / mines in the past.

Yes, I know the beacon system will include bot spacecraft, caves, plus other things as well.

It was simply a joke I couldn't pass up. :D

It's nice to get a statement from them, and this ones sounds promising ( as in making promises as usual).
Based on the speed of development, I have gone from thinking they had a "development team" to thinking they had "developers" to now thinking that they have "a developer" and they keep him locked in the basement, paying him with beer and chips.
But I take heart in the knowledge that some day, I will be able to put on makeup and ride my pet on a beacon mission. In space.

I'd like to see a platform statement too (c'mon MA) :yay:

But I take heart in the knowledge that some day, I will be able to put on makeup and ride my pet on a beacon mission. In space.

But will you be able to wear trans-gender underwear and armour? :wtg:

Yeah, my first tought was "Someone was inspired by Avatar" :p

Many intresting things in Marcos post. I like the hint of riding pets, and that we will have more "dungeon typ" of missions . That is what this game need badly.

Avatar came to mind to me with Riding Pets, Who's to say that there could be planets out there with creatures that couldn't be tamed that are large enough that you could put a Aircraft Carrier on hehe lol, besides that I think would be cool I say 50/50 for that one myself anyway.

Just have to wait and see, this particular feature would be a the bottom of my list for now I guess there would be other bugs and issues to weed out first.

Still would be nice to see just friendly flying creatures that cannot be harmed or killed just flying around big cities that have AI, If you try and shoot them down they will take off and run an hide or " Maybe there are ones that scare the crap out of you they will run away for a little while ( 30 seconds or something :laugh: ) and come back with thousands and hunt you down to you are dead you are on there target ", lol and if you manage to kill one in the process a couple of the creatures will run off again and grab more of the buddies the will help each other out to you are dead once you are dead they will hang around for a bit to the get bored and scatter off in many directions and you won't see them again unless to decide to do it again lol hehehe. maybe a cool down period hehehe :)

:wtg:

Anyway yeah, look forward to any other improvements mentioned in the post :)

It's nice to get a statement from them, and this ones sounds promising ( as in making promises as usual).
Based on the speed of development, I have gone from thinking they had a "development team" to thinking they had "developers" to now thinking that they have "a developer" and they keep him locked in the basement, paying him with beer and chips.

LOL :laugh::laugh::silly2:

using the previous system of hangars, your space vehicle gets "launched" in to space (you blackout bla bla, white screen, server loads, but instead of being on say cp/cnd/calypso etc. you land in a server which reflects the space area. there, you regain control of your spacecraft and are able to move around freely (well, vehicle style anyway). now to get back to the planet it would function sort of like a teleporter: you get close, you "activate" auto control and it will "black out" and automove you into planet orbit. here you get control over your vehicle again, and you can decide wether to head back to your hangar, or to a city, or somewhere else, whatever you prefer.
(p.s.: one of the explanations they can use is that due to heavy gravitational force your mind halts working due to blood pressure, but gets restarted by nanobots as soon as it is safe to do so again, and the nanobots also keep your body functions working...)

The above might be how MA goes about it, but I would love to see something like in this video. not too sure how hard it would be to do though.

Riding flying and other pets have been available in other games a long time, this is nothing new.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, and ... what type of cost will be involved.

The above might be how MA goes about it, but I would love to see something like in this video. not too sure how hard it would be to do though.

hmm Yeah that will do!! :D

It surprises me that people still confuse FPC with MA...

2 different companies!!

MA 'created' the universe, which is the supporting platform.
FPC creates content for and manages Planet Calypso.

It would be interesting if MA could make the transition from space to the planet like in this video.
Especially the part from minute 6 on is really cool in my opinion.
Wondering if cryengine can handle something like that though.

Back