Time for an Industrial Revolution

Ozi

Stalker
Society
Dark Knights
Dave ozi Epsolon
I believe EU needs an Industrial Revultion. This would happen if humans colonized space.

I believe Hadershiem City should be the industrial heart of EU.

What Hadershiem needs is a revolution in the crafting process. If players of any level were able to buy workshops (aka mini factories) then Hadershiem could become useful. A factory should have terminals and have a shopfront. Maybe factories could employ people somehow, so the workers don't hold the materials or the loot from crafting, but do stand their clicking. The skills of the factory are what count, not an individual. The more workers you have in there the more skilled the factory gets (much like a RL company that builds tacit knowledge). So workers would gain skills for factory work, not necessarily individual crafting.

It would be changes like this that really lift the economy of EU and start sending it into a future where business becomes a real part of the economy. A well run factory with lots of employees (jobs for noobs maybe) could be worth alot of money (100,000 peds for an empty factory, 1million for a fully functioning, skilled factory.
The workers would be inducted and contracted by the owner, and then paid on a per click basis, so the longer they worked the more they earned, payment automatically as they sign out from their workplace.

For this to work more complex items need to be crafted. A factory could simply make components etc, but could be a furniture factory, transport equipment (maybe replacement parts for space ships - why not have L engines etc for space travel). Why not saddle bags, bridles etc for pets so miners or hunters can have a pet tag along to carry the load.

Factory owners would look to acquire shops in the malls to set up a retail empire etc etc

Support weapons could be built, like a tripod mounted machine gun. It would need say 2 players to work together, where one carries the tripod, the second mans the gun (weighing 150 kg each). They would be bigger items that require many compnents to craft and require significant investment from some players. These players would be on track to become the industrial barons of EU - much like the early industrial barons that emerged when the USA really surged in the late 1800's.

I think it would be good if socs could establish camps that need buildings, defensive weapons etc in the far flung reaches of space or even amethera. The camp would need a purpose, much like the oil well etc. Maybe a soc could build a permanent mine shaft or oil well that needs maintenance, has L items etc etc They would then defend it and build defensive mechanisms to keep it protected. For MA's economic model it could cost more to defend than you get back from the well (as is usually the case at the rig) but would add a lot of depth to EU and would make it alot more fun (HERE THAT MA - MAKE IT MORE FUN!!!!!!)

The factories would build the gear needed to establish a camp, maybe build a private tp there etc

I'd love to see people's feedback on suggestions like this, if there is interest I might run a poll to see what people think and then send the ideas to MA.

Sounds interesting and fun ...good idea...lots of hard work for the developers...:) i think they call that job security...:)

Reactions: Ozi
cool idea but the practicality of it... the market would be flooded with unused items if we had actual factories churning out goods.

As already stated in the other thread...
Unpractical because of bots and asian creditfarmers.

What would happen to all the crafters ?
Mass production would lower the prices drasticly, but I doubt that would be good for the economy.
And the only once making profits would be the "ubers" again.

i do really like the idea in general man :)

but its like opening a factory on a island of 300 people with no way in or out . i just dont think theirs enough demand for any crafted item to have a factory constantly making them but who knows i geuss :)

some good ideas and tha is where it starts. Trying to figure out how this would fit into the current crafting profession.

i do really like the idea in general man :)

but its like opening a factory on a island of 300 people with no way in or out . i just dont think theirs enough demand for any crafted item to have a factory constantly making them but who knows i geuss :)
Ammo ;)

This will become a reality Ozi, MA have stated this is a thing that will be implemented.

There was a theory that that's what jewels were going to be used for,
fctories, but with the new texture system being implemented that now seems highly unlikely.

I'll try and dig out were MA have said this.

All the best,

Jamhot

Excellent ideas and possibilities Ozi. I think MindArk mentioned the possibility of factories in a discussion some months ago. This would be an great way to bring some activity to Hadesheim.

I'm building up my crafting skills in anticipation. Who knows, maybe some day I will have enough skills to move up the ranks from button pushing on a machine to sitting at the big table in the Board of Directors meeting. Or maybe, some day, I will have enough skills to make a profit crafting.

+ rep for this thread

thats a really good point jamhot i never thought of ammo and probes and such, hmm well i guess its def a possiblilty then, we all know how much ammo can be used by one person in a day of mild hunting . lol wow that would be alot of factories im geuss ing lol

Very nice ideas mate! I hope that they will at least implement some (if not all) of it:)

Excellent ideas and possibilities Ozi. I think MindArk mentioned the possibility of factories in a discussion some months ago. This would be an great way to bring some activity to Hadesheim.

I'm building up my crafting skills in anticipation. Who knows, maybe some day I will have enough skills to move up the ranks from button pushing on a machine to sitting at the big table in the Board of Directors meeting. Or maybe, some day, I will have enough skills to make a profit crafting.

+ rep for this thread

I guess the big benefit for crafters would come if the factory owners paid extra for higher skilled crafters to work for them, bonus for the factory owner etc.

As far as it affecting current crafters, I think factories should make new items, not the same things that crafters make and possibly buy in components from the current crafters.

The ideas around L items for space ships, L items for soc camps/ towns etc would create new items that don't affect the current crafters.

It is my theory that there are alot of current EU players who would deposit alot more money into EU if the economy had more opportunity for business (I know I would).

Another big idea of mine is to greatly increase mining. This could be balanced (ie greater production) by the greater demand from the factories. It would be great if miners could buy big diggers/ excavators. Maybe get John Deer or CAT to sponsor them. Again they would use alot of L items but could dig much more in a set time period. Like doing a weeks worth of mining in an hour. The result should be that the operators have a higher chance of pulling a 500,000 ped ATH. Which would be possible if more money was being pumped in through the diggers. Diggers would need oil to run them, lubricants etc. L tyres, L teeth on the buckets, L parts in their engines. Diggers should dig up new ores that are used by the factories in big quantities.

I don't believe that the activities and industrialisation would have any detrimental effect on lower level players. Rather it could create jobs and a market for current looted items.

One thing MA should certainly do is create a decent rental system, so owners don't have to be operators. This creates JOBS which are always the backbone of any thriving economy. Since when do you see the owner of a factory working in it in RL?

Great Dane mentioned the lofty idea of sitting ont he board of directors of a factory.

Well, that could be true. What better way of creating a use for the Exchange than floating the factories, diggers, hangars etc.

Big question is
'Would a new Industrial Age of EU improve loots or not???"

Go man goo!! :D
I really like the idea, maybe those markup levels on "uber"items so that not only the uber-depositors could still have a chance owing a nice piece of unlimited weapon/armor/fap.. :)+rep
might even compensate losses in other things like hunting.... :D

Ahhh the factories... :D

Q&A Answers (Aug-Sep 06)

Marco|MindArk said:
Introducing factories will be great. This is a typical example of a system that could be introduced at a basic level and developed over the course of time. We can’t offer any details right now as to how it might work, other than it will probably include opportunities to actually have employees.

I like the idea, and as far as i know MA thinking about it as well. I can imagine that it would take quite some time to put in place since it would have a serious impact on the economy and therfore needs to be well planned and thought through.

Cheers :beerchug:

Well, not a new idea, but good idea anyway.
It just would have to be separated from the current mining/crafting functions.
IE. a factory could only manufacture items (vehicle parts,support systems (turrets?), buildings, etc...) that single crafters can't, and vice versa.

And then there could be those quarrys and stuff to mine ores/enmatter that a normal miner couldn't find with the normal finders.
This way it wouldn't affect currect mining & crafting professions (atleast not that much).

And about the "skills of a factory", a factory could have N number of players with various skills, that would then be summed up to give the skills for the factory (these skills would of course be different from current mining/crafting skills).

My 2 pecs.

Wasn't there some talking that Chuck's Hideout would become a place for a factory some time? I think this came up when that outpost appeared on Calypso.

But on the other hand I haven't heard of this again since then... :scratch2:

Ahhh the factories... :D

Q&A Answers (Aug-Sep 06)

I like the idea, and as far as i know MA thinking about it as well. I can imagine that it would take quite some time to put in place since it would have a serious impact on the economy and therfore needs to be well planned and thought through.

Cheers :beerchug:

I guess the main purpose of a thread like this is to help Mindark see how something like factories could be introduced in a balanced way. It really isn't such a huge deal to program as most of it would be utilising existing systems. My hope is that once CryEngine has been introduced, MA will free up programmers, designers etc to start looking at really making EU interesting.

The sale of the factories would generate a massive spike in cash for MA, cash that will always stay tied up in the factories. I think the key would be to have lots of different sized factories, from little workshops to quite big enterprises. The size might determine what items could be produced. The bigger the factory the more employees it could handle etc. A workshop might be 3 employees, a big factory might be 20-50.

I think the thing that would see entropia take off economically would be the introduction of the exchange and joint ownership. For those who have studied the economic history of the world, you will know that it was introduction of the Mercantile system in England that sparked the real growth int he world economy. A system where people could start sharing risk and pooling their resources. Without a system like that the RL world would be a very different place today. IF MA want headlines, then a system where 100people could each put in 100,000 peds would see the first Million dollar factory in a virtual world - now that would get world headlines, that is the kind of story that makes people log in to check out what's going on. I see this as a matter of time, not a maybe.

From a company perspective, it is in MA's interest to develop Entropia so that they have more and more significant investments where the value will never be withdrawn (like CND, Banks, Malls etc) which gives the company significant cash reserves.

This is a really interessting idea. I hope MindArk take a look at it and reconsider what you wrote and see if it's doable.

+rep for a good post!

This is a really interessting idea. I hope MindArk take a look at it and reconsider what you wrote and see if it's doable.

+rep for a good post!

I'd love to see a reply from someone at MindArk with their thoughts on whther this is indeed a part of our future.

I could see Ammo Factories coming out of something like this, which could be handy. :D

- Nightwolf

TBH I would be very disappointed if the only thing Factories could produce was a simple commodity like bombs and ammo - I mean what's the point in that???? The current limitations of EU's economy are based around an inablility for individuals to create any differentiation to value add.

Ammo would need to have an ability for factories to customise the ammo somehow, otherwise EF would be flooded with people bitching about paying above tt price for ammo.

For someone to profit, someone has to lose, and this game is already too expensive for many.

Great idea and all, but the way the game is built, it'll just make it even more expensive in the long run.

oops, posted same message twice

Last edited:
For someone to profit, someone has to lose, and this game is already too expensive for many.

Great idea and all, but the way the game is built, it'll just make it even more expensive in the long run.

I have to strongly disagree. What I am proposing is a method by which jobs can be created. Just like in the real world there are peple in EU that have lots of capital and those who don't. Building factories, mines etc etc would create jobs by those with capital investing in infrastructure and those without being able to work for them.

I would think most non depositors or small depositors would love the opportunity to earn money in other ways rather than sweating.

Working in a factory, a mine, a farm, a beauty salon, renting a hangar, renting a bulldozer for bigger mining etc would be extremely appealing to many.

OK, here's another idea for creating jobs that could be done right now. Those who own shops could employ shopkeepers/ retail assistants to stand in the shop and advise customers about what is available, make recommendations etc. For anyone who thinks this wouldn't work, simply ask yourself why shops have shopkeepers now. Trust me, it isn't simply to man the checkout in most stores. A knowledgeable person working in the shop could make a real difference to sales, particularly for any shops that have higher end items. The adition of a system for those people to be paid automatically would be helpful, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Working in a factory, a mine, a farm, a beauty salon, renting a hangar, renting a bulldozer for bigger mining etc would be extremely appealing to many.

I'd love to see a way of employing apprentices for my Beauty Salon.

Back