Time for MA to Upgrade Gold Cards?

thoreau

Elite
Hiro Protagonist
I remember reading in the past how fragile the gold card readers were and how the batteries would quit at the most inopportune time.

My boss came to work today and asked me to help him log into a new system that contains private health information. His login required his user name, a 4 digit pin, and a random code as assigned by RSA SecurID.

rsa.JPG

The first thing I noticed was how solid the plastic case was. It is portable and generates a random code every minute.

I did some research and this type of system seems to be effective. Maybe its time for the old fragile gold card readers to go the way of the Jester.

The RSA devices I believe are $50 to $75 usd. Not sure how many people would pay for it.

sure mine gold card reader for a long time.
np where about it beeing fragile but didnt drop it yet on marble floor also my wife's account has a gold card so in emergencies i have another one.

If my first died at one monemnt i would hate not beeing able to play for 2-3 weeks until MA ships a new one

not a bad idea, but the type of reader you've pictured above is for a work environment - it's meant to be portable, and therefore more rugged, by default ... the ones for eu are generally thought to remain static in relation to location (regarless of a keychain connector :rolleyes: ) and therefore don't need to be as hardy - plus, if the cost mentioned by another poster above is accurate, that would be another factor - just my two pecs, thanks for bringing the idea out :)

One MAJOR factor for MA's decision against time-relating keycode generators is... time relation!

Think how many players will get annoyed when MA's time shifts slightly from the card's time. Or if the card shifts time in temperature changes or power loss. It is VERY HARD to syncronize them. Plus they are of course more expensive overall, while the current gold cards can only be circumvented and successfully hacked in very hard conditions.

Uh.. what?

I remember reading in the past how fragile the gold card readers were and how the batteries would quit at the most inopportune time.

My boss came to work today and asked me to help him log into a new system that contains private health information. His login required his user name, a 4 digit pin, and a random code as assigned by RSA SecurID.

rsa.JPG

The first thing I noticed was how solid the plastic case was. It is portable and generates a random code every minute.

I did some research and this type of system seems to be effective. Maybe its time for the old fragile gold card readers to go the way of the Jester.

those things only last a year at most!!

what i would kill for is a fingerprint recognizer :)

The RSA devices I believe are $50 to $75 usd. Not sure how many people would pay for it.

Paypal uses a variant of this system, but with out the royalty payments and fees associated with the RSA system. Paypal charges US$5 for their version.

I too have often wondered why MA continues to use such an out of date system. It's better than nothing, but its not perfect.

Paypal uses a variant of this system, but with out the royalty payments and fees associated with the RSA system. Paypal charges US$5 for their version.

I too have often wondered why MA continues to use such an out of date system. It's better than nothing, but its not perfect.

Yes as already stated if a Hacker can bring a keylogger onto your PC he can also bring a prg on your PC witch could fake the Login Screens of EU and then subsequently send the Login/Password and the Gold Card number to the hacker and present the user with a screen like Server Maintenance please log in later.

Hacker would have all the data needed to log in and purge your account.

SO Goldcard is a protection against script kiddies but not against a hacker with programming knowledge who makes his own prg's and not build them from kits...

Back