Unified Theory of Taming or Why I Think the Game Development's Back on Track Again

Fifth

Elite
The "Fifth" Entity
Althou have to admit all this applies only to a relatively unimportant side-profession, it's still a step to the right direction (in case my theory is indeed correct, that is).

I'll skip most of the wellknown (to the tamers) basic details to keep it short. Don't tell me later i didn't warn u! :wtg:
So here it comes.

There's 3 requirements for a successful tame: equipment, animal tamer lvl and evader lvl.​

Equipment - the right whip (for the mob you attempting to tame).
For the highest lvl mobs this means the most powerful whips ingame, amped with the biggest melee amp it can take. High tiers filled with dmg enhancers is a definite bonus.
In some cases u might also need a good armor and/or healer cuz you want to keep your dps at the maximum level during the whole taming process.

Animal Tamer level - Goes without sayin' the higher your AT lvl the higher are your chances to tame the mob at the 1st attempt. Each failed attempt increases the cost of taming.

So far so good.

Now that's where it gets interesting. It seems Animal Tamer level might NOT be the most important factor at all. I mean, you can still tame a mob if your level is relatively low (compared to the mob level). It might take several attempts before u succeed and the taming cost will go up, but - you can still do it. The next requirement, however, might become an obstacle you can't overcome at all. Only solution, give it up, skill up and try again (much) later.

Evader level. What has evader lvl to do with taming? u might ask. That's a fair question.
Let me explain why i think that one is not just included but, as far as i can see, the most important factor in the whole picture.
Anyone who has tamed a few mobs has noticed what happens when you hit the mob with your whip. The Respect bar goes up a notch, the Spirit bar goes down a notch.
What happens when the mob hits you? The opposite happens, Respect bar goes down and Spirit bar up.

Now, have you ever though what determines how much exactly the bar moves each time? It's the amount of damage. If u use big whip on a small mob then whip damage is higher than mob damage - and that's exactly what u will see if u look at the Spirit bar. Using Cobra on Dragon each hit with the whip moves the bar twice as much as the Dragon can move back it when it manages to hit you.
When we move upwards on the scale, to higher and higher level tamable mobs those damages will eventually become equal (on the highest level might prolly even reverse?).

I quess u already see where this is going? ;)

I predict there will be a "breaking point". You hit the mob and move Spirit bar down, mob hits you back and moves it up again by the same amount. You're stuck, u just can't get the Spirit bar moving. Thus you will never reach the point where u could attempt tame (and, to make the irony even worse - if u somehow could get there u might even be successful...)

What's the solution? Get a bigger whip. Bigger amp, higher tiers on whip. Allright, u say, i already have this, what else can i do?

Solution is simple, get hit less. Skill up yor evader.

:smoke:

Now, this is just a theory. I haven't been able to get my hands on L75 tamable mob yet to verify this theory.
However, if i compare L10 mobs to L35 mobs i can clearly see how the process is changing. Assuming all the factors remain linear, the situation described above must occur eventually. If the factors are not in fact linear, then my theory is wrong. We don't know yet which one it will be... but we'll see pretty soon. ;)

Regardless of the result, i have to say i'm very happy if my theory is right. This game has devalued skills for too long, it's about time to make skill important again. What better place to start than with the most important skills ingame, the Evader prof?

And, if i'm wrong, if this is not how it actually works now, then please MA, give this game back some of it's dignity - make it work as i described! :girl:

I've observed something similar to this as well. I'm actually quite a low skilled avatar given how long I've been playing (I talk a lot and spend a lot of time just admiring the view) and love taming but despite having my taming skills grow nicely I can't even attempt the atrox taming because I just don't have enough health and evade or good enough armour to survive.

so yeah, I'd say other skills are equally important.

Back