Unreal Engine 5

Looks beautiful! EU getting an upgrade in a few years would be awesome!

9 years later we still don't have games with this terrain :D

Would be nice to have that graphic in EU. :) Not sure how good UE is with MMOs but thats what you have
*development* team for, to develop solutions, not only create simple content.... :p
Guess it's time for a download and have a look whats in there for now.

With Mindark as developer? Sure, your question was if I could imagine it. Then yes, in a perfect utopia where MA has 200+ expert professional game developers on their team, sure it could be possible.
In our reality? Not a chance. Simply because they don't have enough good staff to create a MMORPG at that quality level. Maybe in 20 years if MA is still around or have sold EU to a big developer who's gonna bring EU to mainstream, only then could this ever happen imo.

But are the Nanites Adjusted or Modified? :p

With Mindark as developer? Sure, your question was if I could imagine it. Then yes, in a perfect utopia where MA has 200+ expert professional game developers on their team, sure it could be possible.
In our reality? Not a chance. Simply because they don't have enough good staff to create a MMORPG at that quality level. Maybe in 20 years if MA is still around or have sold EU to a big developer who's gonna bring EU to mainstream, only then could this ever happen imo.

The situation will change if an investor appears who will invest in the development of the game world - then resources will appear to attract new developers.

Im probably very much in the minority, but I much prefered the GameBryo engine Project Entropia started with. The armour were much more appealing.

Nutter I know what you mean... I think I'm somewhere in the middle.... i.e. they screwed up big time by changing the general colour/patterning of the armour that existed originally... I kinda prefer that our bums are not exposed these days but not everything got moved ok. Rascal for example was cool in the old days... not interesting at all now.

Anyhow this is kinda relevant since indeed MA could have gone a lot further with Gamebryo as evidenced by other games that used it and continued to long after MA left the building. This said though, the situation was repeated largely with Cryengine. The Engine was never properly exploited and a lot of stuff just got thrown in with no roadmap to be fixed up. Some areas were done case in point the NW area of the map and Port atlantis but lots has never been given the care and attention under the new engine that it deserves.

Cryengine is still being developed and has its spin offs too but MA are still on CE2 because there isn't the developer resource to handle an upgrade. Yes UE5 looks shiney but so did and even does CE2 if used properly... but lots of work to be done and the development focus for Entropia... if there even is a development focus isn't in that area.

From what I can see these days they are tweaking things gradually here and there to improve stuff but it feels like the efforts of a few rather than the major push of the many that is needed.

In short, the best way to enjoy UE5 would be to pick up another game that uses it. Nice idea though and indeed we can all share a dream or two.

As somebody who is not at all a techie, can somebody explain in layman's terms what this new engine thingo will do for my gaming experience?
I'm guessing this is a pretty big deal judging by other peoples reactions to it. I can understand that its "good" but what does it mean for me?

The most likely scenario as I see it:

- Whatever little development that has been going on with CE2 Entropia for the last few years will likely appear to cease almost entirely. I mean, from now on, only bug fixes that are directly connected to an exploit or serious security/financial/economy concern. [Yes MA say otherwise but I wouldn't put much stock in that - check their developer resource if you need evidence]

- more/new bugs on launch. [evidence: CE2 launch]

- Many items and buildings simply thrown into the new engine with a "hope for best" attitude. [evidence: CE2 launch]

- various features/areas likely missing at launch and either brought back with significant delay or never re-implemented [evidence: CE2 launch]

- a need to remake your avatar [evidence: CE2 launch]

- bad/buggy lighting everywhere [evidence: CE2 launch]

Anyone else want to chip in with ideas?
I doubt it but who knows? Epics team is really helpful so if MA have problems they will most likely get help from that team,
so maybe there will be a better transition this time. ;)

Look back through the forum to VU10 and see just how much disruption, broken features and bugs this is gonna cause.

Some of us were there...

Back