News: User Interface Update Postponed

Ummm we need a new game engine. Game engines arnt just about graphics. It's about capability and cryengine is a dead engine. Anyone complaining about migration doesn't comprehend how important it is to do, think.
Sadly its not quite as simple as this. Changing game engine is more similar to a ps4 game being released on the ps5. If all you're doing is fixing the compilation bugs and releasing. The end product will be very similar even on a new engine. Think skyrim on ps5 still has the same bugs and glitches.

You still have the same artists, coders and testers behind the game irrespective of engine.

Cryengine is just as viable as any other for making a game, UE5 _might_ solve some issues:

- ease of finding talent. (c++ for UE5, vs. C#/c++/LUA for Cryengine) language pools seem similar, but knowledge of frameworks and libraries should be more common with developers coming from UE4.
- asthetics: better OOTB support for high fidelity graphics in UE5. But requires a full recreation of most EU assets to take advantage of any PBR/high fidelity asset rendering.
- PR (ooh look shiny new engine).

And thats really all i can think of that you'd gain from using a new engine.

Fundamentally the game will be identical, plus what they decide to add (if they have extra time or money) minus what thet strip out (if they underbudget or dont hit milestones).

Rant over, but this game doesn't really need shiny new graphics. It needs to evolve its mechanics, fix bugs, provide better ways to entice players and have useful item sinks at all different levels of spend and gameplay, interact with its community more and generally focus again on the core gameplay loop if they ever want to boost the playerbase.

I watched a video about the awakening of a matrix or something for the ps5 on 4k ultra hd. The graphics were spectacular, but the controls made the car handling look disappointing in comparison. One of the best controller controls I've experienced was way back on PS1 where you were simply a "driver" doing missions and sometimes being chased by the cops.
EU has almost no need for fancy stuff if all people have to do is press "f" all the effing time. A certain degree of good graphics is nice ofc, but EU has a depth of mechanics that make up the whole RCE economy stuff.
My biggest "fun" just now doing otherwise boring mayheming was to time the arrival of the last boss + killing + still exiting before the timer ran out after 5 hrs. At the 2.5 hr mark I saw I would need an extra enhancer slot filled - that's how close some of the timing expectancy can be.

We make our own fun here sometimes to combat the 'f' boredom. It helps when the interfaces and mouse clicks etc work smoothly. Some vehicles are fun, some are a bit of a pain due to glitching. So please concentrate at least as much on the 'flow' as the spectacularity of the graphics on the new engine please MA.

Probably just as well... given the control update resulted in forward going backwards...

There's a lot of glitches with some of the UIs right now, especially the message center. It's as if they had actually started to implement some of the code into the game client but never finished this. For example, when you have an auction notification while you are online, it doesn't bring the notification back up to the top and you have to browse, in my case, several pages of notifications to go find out what just happened. Sometimes chat windows that were closed in previous sessions are still there when you log in again. The PED flow center fails to load sometimes...

My biggest point of contention with Entropia is that for an RCE game such as this to not have a running record somewhere of all the credits and debits that have been made on the PED card is a total farce. There is no way for me to go verify for example that the remaining funds leftover after my buy order has expired have indeed been returned to my PED card. At any given time, I have probably 5k to 10k ped worth of bids on the auction, I get outbid constantly, where's the running record showing that the funds were credited back to the PED card? It's sacriligious that Entropia still doesn't have this in 2021.

Back