Variety - SEE adds Calypso to virtual universe

thoreau

Elite
Hiro Protagonist
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118030970

SEE Virtual Worlds, which is readying to launch online worlds based on Michael Jackson and Universal's classic monsters, has acquired "Planet Calypso" from MindArk for $6 million and the company's virtual worlds developer First Planet Company.

Looks like Marco may have been forced to make his announcement here before it broke.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118030970

SEE Virtual Worlds, which is readying to launch online worlds based on Michael Jackson and Universal's classic monsters, has acquired "Planet Calypso" from MindArk for $6 million and the company's virtual worlds developer First Planet Company.

Looks like Marco may have been forced to make his announcement here before it broke.

As usual, we get the news from sources other than MA/FPC. Also, from the article, it seems that FPC-SEE Digital Studios will be working on Planet Michael meaning we can expect even longer delays in the restoration of Calypso.

Here's the article, if you're too lazy to click to the link.

SEE Virtual Worlds is looking to create an online universe of "planets" that are based on licensed properties and enable consumers to explore with their own digital avatars. It hopes to launch "Planet Michael," as part of that effort by the end of the year.

"Planet Calypso" was the first world that MindArk launched in 2003 as part of its Entropia Universe, and has grown to more than 950,000 registered users. That game enables users to build a human colony on a new alien planet and acquire virtual goods along the way, which generated $428 million last year.

As part of the purchase, First Planet Co. will be renamed SEE Digital Studios, and shepherd the creation of "Planet Michael," while continuing to oversee the operation of "Planet Calypso."

The sales will enable MindArk to focus on serving as a platform provider for 3D interactive online entertainment.

Contact Marc Graser at marc.graser@variety.com

As usual, we get the news from sources other than MA/FPC. Also, from the article, it seems that FPC-SEE Digital Studios will be working on Planet Michael meaning we can expect even longer delays in the restoration of Calypso.

if they ARE expanding staff, some of the technical stuff may go faster, and if content can be adapted from other planets... might be a good thing...

if they ARE expanding staff, some of the technical stuff may go faster, and if content can be adapted from other planets... might be a good thing...

I'm really hoping there is going to be a trade of systems and adaption of content from other planets. I've seen some of the possible system/content upgrades for Cyrene/Arkadia that would improve Calypso. Hopefully they will trade system with each other and specialize in given areas so that certain team could improve certain systems while other teams improve on other systems. A little bit of collaboration would go a long way.

I'm really hoping there is going to be a trade of systems and adaption of content from other planets. I've seen some of the possible system/content upgrades for Cyrene/Arkadia that would improve Calypso. Hopefully they will trade system with each other and specialize in given areas so that certain team could improve certain systems while other teams improve on other systems. A little bit of collaboration would go a long way.

my feeling is if, say rocktopia pushes for better ways for users to upload music, then that option will exist for planet partners to integrate easily as they choose... the same could go for timers, loot distribution systems, etc

Interesting. I'm not quite sure that I'm all too excited about this. The same company that will be running such a thing as "Planet Michael" running Calypso?? :scratch2: I can see it now... we'll all be wearing hotpants and leather jackets with big poofy hairdos and doing the moonwalk around statues of Patrick Swayze as a zombie. :rolleyes:

Just how involved will SEE virtual studios (formerly FPC) remain in the continuing development of Calypso's future?

my feeling is if, say rocktopia pushes for better ways for users to upload music, then that option will exist for planet partners to integrate easily as they choose... the same could go for timers, loot distribution systems, etc

From what it looks like though that might not actually happen..seeing as how planets are owned by different planet partners..Its looks more like it would be a trading of systems rather than open sharing of each other's individual planets' systems.

Interesting. I'm not quite sure that I'm all too excited about this. The same company that will be running such a thing as "Planet Michael" running Calypso?? :scratch2: I can see it now... we'll all be wearing hotpants and leather jackets with big poofy hairdos and doing the moonwalk around statues of Patrick Swayze as a zombie. :rolleyes:

Just how involved will SEE virtual studios (formerly FPC) remain in the continuing development of Calypso's future?

No one said that current staff of FPC will be sacked, which means everything should be ok.

No one said that current staff of FPC will be sacked, which means everything should be ok.

With the deafening 'wall of silence' that has be predominant from FPC generally, regarding how thay 'look after' their 'paying cusomers' and 'investors' I personally think a 'lot' of FPC staff should be either sacked or recieve a large boot up their arses... :rolleyes:

BTW did you notice there was no sarcasm there? Yep... I'm serious about this disgraceful attitude of FPC AND MA.

From what it looks like though that might not actually happen..seeing as how planets are owned by different planet partners..Its looks more like it would be a trading of systems rather than open sharing of each other's individual planets' systems.

From what we've heard from FPC (now SDS) so far, it seems that any systems like you're thinking of are developed by MA and are made available for use on the planets. The planet partners themselves don't do the coding for EU, they have to ask MA to add things.

I'm thinking about Merry Mayhem and what we were told about the changes that were suggested for the mission system for timers and whatnot. FPC commented that MA is 'reluctant' to add something for one specific planet partner.

MA is developing the platform, the planet partners simply use the tools they are given by MA.

only 6 million?

Mama say mama sa mama-koosa!

*grab crotch*

look at the oldschool looted clothing, and tell me how it can get worse:)

I'm trying to be positive, because I can see good things... like SEE getting a better profit sharing arrangement than other planet partners (70-30 instead of 50-50) , and SEE having the funds to keep the game going if MA goes belly-up.

the fact that SEE is very much focussing on commercial tie-ins to market the RCE is slightly worrying... what if developing planet calypso stops being so important?

We'll have to see how it plays out...

See Virtual Worlds Purchases Virtual Property From MindArk for 6 Million USD - IGN

[SIZE=-2]Gamasutra[/SIZE]

See Virtual Worlds Purchases Virtual Property From MindArk for 6 Million USD
[SIZE=-1]IGN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The acquisition follows news late last year that SEE Virtual Worlds plans to rollout new planets in the Entropia Universe, beginning with Planet Michael, ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE Buys Planet Calypso[SIZE=-1]Zam News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE Virtual Worlds Buys Planet Calypso For $6M[SIZE=-1]Gamasutra[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE buys Planet Calypso for $6 million, talks with Massively for an encore[SIZE=-1]Joystiq[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Variety[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 15 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

(...) the fact that SEE is very much focussing on commercial tie-ins to market the RCE is slightly worrying... what if developing planet calypso stops being so important?

We'll have to see how it plays out...

I'm holding my breath...

Mama say mama sa mama-koosa!

*grab crotch*

hehe shamon

/* I tried to insert a clip from Bo Selecta but couldn't find one that would let me embed it or wouldn't get me banned */

Last edited:
Planet Calypso acquired by SEE Virtual Worlds - Examiner.com

[SIZE=-2]Gamasutra[/SIZE]

Planet Calypso acquired by SEE Virtual Worlds
[SIZE=-1]Examiner.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The first planet created in the Entropia Universe (created by MindArk), Planet Calypso has been running since 2003, and has processed over $428 million ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE Acquires MindArk Virtual Planet, Design Studio for $6 Million[SIZE=-1]Digital Media Wire[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE Virtual Worlds™ Purchases Virtual Property from MindArk for $6 Million USD[SIZE=-1]Vancouver Sun[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SEE Buys Planet Calypso[SIZE=-1]Zam News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Gamasutra -Joystiq -Variety[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 21 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

Back