Virtual World Entropia Universe Selects State-of-the-Art CryENGINE 2(R) to Create the Future

Status
any idea what the new requirements fotr the game are gonna be

any idea if a 128 mb card could take it even on the lowest settings

geforce FX5200

1024 ram
pentium 4
3.2 ghz

MA is going to need to employ a bunch of people, its a lot of hard work creating the assets needed for this to work

If only I lived in gothenburg :)

any idea what the new requirements fotr the game are gonna be
any idea if a 128 mb card could take it even on the lowest settings
geforce FX5200

1024 ram
pentium 4
3.2 ghz

minimums for a similar game (engine wise)are posted earlier in this thread, but i think your cutting it pretty close even for the fall update. - I would upgrade the card to a faster agp card at minimum - 80 to 100 bucks would most likely put you back in a good comfort zone on min settings.

can you say pet update?
its a grafix update.:) so your pet will look nicer, but be just as useless as it is now.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone else mention this but maybe....

Bye bye skybug!! :wave:

:bowdown:

I'm already having problems because I've got an Intel controller and Vista.
I wonder how laggy will it be once it all looks more "real"?

But I hope they DO introduce weather and sunsets.

Last edited:
bloody hell, looks amazing, only concerned about the lag..... unless stuff is somehow stored on your computer, like generic trees, etc.... otherwise....

good news but i have a question....

Marco, will MA be porting the game over to this engine or are you rebuilding it from scratch again ?

Well... the videos at EBN about EU had fabulous graphics; better than those in game, I daresay. Or the posters, postcards and all publishing media for that matter. :rolleyes:
But a real economy is a real economy, no one can deny it.

How about this time? Will EU be as cool-looking as the demo?
(Which reminds me of a "Bill-Gates-trying-hell-and-heaven" joke...) :silly2:

If EU will be re-built from scratch...
Will we be able to redo our avatars as well? Please...? :D

If EU will be re-built from scratch...
Will we be able to redo our avatars as well? Please...? :D

The ability to redesign our avatars is coming next VU, according to Marco:

Words from Marco BehrmannDirector of Community Relations
18 July 2007

Graphics Engine Updates
Version Update 9.0 will see the next step in the ongoing process to make the Entropia Universe the best looking virtual experience around. A process that has taken almost a year to prepare will now take a giant next step forward. Avatars, as well as their worn equipment and clothes will be upgraded. This major upgrade will include brand new techniques, models, textures, and more. It will also allow all existing avatars the chance to recreate their avatar. More info and preview screenshots will be released soon.

Originally Posted Here

I downloaded that big vid and . . . wow! I am stoked about getting this engine in our universe! :yay:

YESSS!!!

Now... the lag and incomplete system requirements
may be an issue I hope they will solve for VU 9.1,
for I have a weak computer... :(

...​

:yay::yay:I will re-do my avatar for FREE!!!:yay::yay:

Last edited:
Looks pretty impressive...most impressive was the developer videos....the ease of use in creating terrain ect would seem to reduce alot of chances for coding errors. Lets just hope the engine itself is relatively bug free.

So this may actually help reduce chances for alot of the bugs in the system we see today, due to simplicity of use and coding for MA.

Plus real time changes could be pretty cool for events and such....MA has a lot of cool options with this engine...lets hope it goes smooth and demands less than expected for our systems.

I imagine if MA had the pictures to use when the new site went up, that they have already probably managed to get a lot of the environment rendered by now. Next year just may be a realistic date for it if they've had their hands in it for over a year already. Amazing how simple it looked for the developer to render the environment to me.

point...click...forest....point.... drag..... mountain ect ect amazing technology now.

I do wonder about hair though too....could female avs have flowing hair? or even argos? :)

Having played oblivion on my ps3 past weeks i been dreaming off cooler graphic and no 1 year isnt that long

Features that can be incorporated in single player games like Oblivion can't (or won't) be incorporated into multi-player games like Entropia.

Not all the features available in the Cry2 engine will/can be incorporated into EU.

I just wanted to point to the demo movie in high resolution, if you have the broadband connection for it, as it is ~150Mb. But it really shows the CryENGINE2 in its finest, compared to the low-res YouTube-movies.

ftp://ftp1.entropiauniverse.com/movies/cryengine2.wmv

Bumping this post -- this movie is incredible. I'm sure many of these capabilities won't be included in EU, simply because they don't fit the gameplay, but the possibilities are enormous.

The lighting is amazing. Years ago i tried doing some of those lighting and shadow effects for a graphics programming class and couldn't do anything nearly that good with the hardware or time available. It makes my head spin.

With breakable building I would imagine an atrox stalker attackes twin peaks and destroy the mobile deluxe, while hunters trying to stop it a rocket accidentally hit the bar building and ceiling starts to fall off ...

What would really be cool would be new attachments like lights on guns for evening /night hunts . maybe even search lights on vehicles ( when here ).
maybe at night in pvp area u can`t see enemy on radar only flash lights on guns so to make a little more stealthy. Also hoff + globals will look awsome at night.
all this relies on ma introducing the light feature though :)

all these new possibilities...
(still :woohoo: )
imagine:

dressed with a umber and brown colored exa-leather basic outfit, equipped with a noobish bravo rifle, the sun in the back, sneaking into PvP, hoping for a crit hit...

it could look awesome with this engine!

Hi,

Dunno if this is good news.

Checked Gamebryo info? I'm no game coder but there seems to be a lot more this machine can do then the crappy lag fest we're suffering often. Game engine isn't everything, it's just the tool the game developers have at hand, and the best tool doesn't necessarily make a grand master out of a crappy craftsman ...

Second, transition will use up a lot of resources at MA. But these might be urgently needed to improve actual game play, i.e. crafting system, game balance, story development etc., and bug fighting, not to forget. I know that there will be different teams on different tasks, but I have strong fear now that we'll not see much more improvement until release of new engine.

Third, I don't even want to know at the moment what hardware requirements the implementation will have - Crysis machine is known as one of the most hardware hungry ones around, AFAIK. Add our beloved MA coding champs that have already managed to make a rather hardware hungry game with the undemanding Gamebryo engine, and shiver in fear!

Forth, nice eye candy not necessarily makes a pleasant gaming experience - there are a lot of games with crappy graphics but great game play, and these are loved by bazillions of devoted players, still years after release. On the other hand, a good number of games that came with great hype and stunning graphics fell into oblivion very fast, because due to buggy and indigested game play they were uninstalled faster then could catch the players.

As I said, I dunno what to think of it. Let's hope the best!

Have fun!

Mighty engine it is :headbang: I'm quite exited about it. Let's hope that the result and the requirements won't make us :banghead:
But i prefer to be optimistic. Entropia already proved many times that it has nice, addictive gameplay. The real cash economy is working well. People have fun. And now, with the new engine we'll have one of the best grafics possible in a game. :wtg: Do want !!! Even if it means $ for upgrade, the result will worth it. The best game with the best grafics - what else can an adicted player wish for ;)
Well, ATH, i guess :D

Wow

Virtual World Entropia Universe Selects State-of-the-Art CryENGINE 2(R) to Create the Future
25 July 2007

Cutting Edge CryENGINE 2(R) to Bring Real-Life Look to World's Safest Virtual Universe

GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN and FRANKFURT, GERMANY -- Entropia Universe, the safest virtual world utilizing a real cash economy, has signed a license agreement to use the stunning high-tech game engine CryENGINE 2®, from German developer Crytek, creators of "Far Cry®" and upcoming "Crysis®." This will make Entropia Universe the closest-to-reality looking massively multiplayer online game ever seen. The transition to an Entropia Universe platform built around this new technology is expected to be finished by mid-2008, and will be available to all Entropia Universe partners.

Read the entire Press Release here.

View the video demo (~150Mb) here.

TN-353193_Entropia3.jpg

Originally Posted Here

This looks absloutely amacing!:yay:
I want it Now! hehe:wtg:
I gess i have to look at my comp and see what i can update it with? But no hurry there its about ayear to go!

This will make Entropia Universe the closest-to-reality looking massively multiplayer online game ever seen.

Don't forget the "most computer power hungry MMO ever" too, Ms Bertha... ;)

CryEngine 2 is an amazing piece of equipment. But how exactly will this thing work in massive multiplayer scenario? The current track record of EU using Gamebryo is nothing to be proud of, tbh.

OMFG !!

This will atract sooo much more player to EU...

Argh the sweat prices will drop even more !
Poor sweat-Nubs :laugh:

This will atract sooo much more player to EU...

I posted the news on a few cyrsys forums, 90% of the players are interested in trying out EU simply due to the engine :)

seems like a whole load of new orange will be flooding EU when this is implemented :)

YAy vehicals i look forward to driving one of the battle tanks in PA as well as flying those assault craft and air skimmers.

Yay dynamic cover and stances for combat.
Yay for possable mob AI renovation maybe each mob will need its own tactic to hunt them.
yay for many other possabilities this new engine will bring.

Hope Crytek doesnt force vista on upgrades to the engine on the client side ever.
sounds like i have to start planning to get a hyper threading processor and better vid card as well as another gig or 2 of ram

Firstly, an excellent business decision with the following in mind:

Yes it is a excellent engine but as comments suggest, a good engine does not make a good game.

For this the be anything other than the mess we had when MA introduced the PhysiX functionality, I hope they have learned from that and will develop a brand spanking new Entropia in the new game engine and not just port across all the bugs and badly designed systems. This could be done in parallel, thus allowing people to still play Entropia but also alpha test the new one, giving crucial feedback (get some official forums!!) to MA otherwise I can see a lot of teddies out of cots if this is just VU'd onto us.

Status
Back