.vob to .avi wizards?

Meg

Prowler
Society
GloryHound Irregulars, ex Dirty Dozen, ex...ehhh beta
Megan Meg Arlington
I'd like to compress the files and, if possible, stitch them into one longer avi.

Was handed a disc with an old old recording of a show (was 1992) digitalized into .vob

Due to the format and length, it's now 3 files of 1gb each + one about half that - the quality is reasonable, only 23ish minutes per file. The sound in particular really is OK.

I guess I lose quality in compression but I'd love to share it all with those who participated back then and put it on google video or similar - we were perhaps 100 people in it, bit much to send everyone a dvd.

Any ideas on how to go about this using freeware/trialware or whatever I may have preinstalled on this packard bell with win7? My biggest worry is the sync, would ruin the experience if that wobbles. Google has shown me several ways for the conversion but perhaps someone here has actually tried one.

Virtualdub and some of the available filters may do the transcoding you're looking for... and it's freeware.

Cool - sems that's what I need, all wrapped up =)

Now...let me find some of your other posts so I can rep...

" VOB to AVI ?", this question has confused me for a long time when I need to convert VOB files from a DVD to AVI files as my friend sent me a file of a short film he made. The cilps he sent are VOB formats and I could not view them with windows media player and my computer doesn't have a dvd writer. I tried several converters but the quality suffers. My video either loses quality and shows large pixels or the convertion procedures are too complicated and put lots of viruses in my computer. I've ben searching all over the internet and the only program I found serves me well is called" Aneesoft Video Converter Pro".

you may find de-synch results depending on your vob. If so, try Vegas pro and adobe premiere

" VOB to AVI ?", this question has confused me for a long time when I need to convert VOB files from a DVD to AVI files as my friend sent me a file of a short film he made. The cilps he sent are VOB formats and I could not view them with windows media player and my computer doesn't have a dvd writer. I tried several converters but the quality suffers. My video either loses quality and shows large pixels or the convertion procedures are too complicated and put lots of viruses in my computer. I've ben searching all over the internet and the only program I found serves me well is called" Aneesoft Video Converter Pro".

nice, a spambot that actually meets the topic. the future is here :yay:

as for freeware...they usually print watermarks into the converted video. maybe the recommendations mentioned could hint whether those programs watermark or not :confused:

myself bought "moviejack" for the purpose of converting. it' rather cheap but also very limited in quality.

as for freeware...they usually print watermarks into the converted video. maybe the recommendations mentioned could hint whether those programs watermark or not :confused:

myself bought "moviejack" for the purpose of converting. it' rather cheap but also very limited in quality.

Those 2 I`ve mentioned don`t add watermark. It`s usually the trial/shareware versions of payed software that have such features.

Spammed advert reported. Gah.

I converted the lot into avi xvid, stitched together in virtualdub - had to add xvid x64 codec and then it was smoof and fast. From 4gb to 1.2gb and no sync problems, good stuff.

Hosting that big a file for these 100 potentially interested peeps is another matter entirely...

EDIT Very briefly tried using adobe premiere on a friend's machine, found it to be huge, confusing and unintuitive =) I bet if I'd tried it more than two days it'd be ok, hehe.

Last edited:
:)There some nice free vob 2 avi tools i tryed:
Dvdx small and great.
FormatFactory
XmediaRecoder
Avi.net Very nice quality it makes
Auto gorian knot

its a good idee installing some media codes. Some come with the programs.;)

Try one of these that feels best to you with option second pass.
Use a biterate that is no lower than 775. I mostly use 2224.

Alsow do use max quality setting that seems right to you. If you dont get
the program to work first try delault settings. You might want to try it on
a small vob sample. ( take some trailer from a dvd and have some try's on it first.)

After you made the final avi's use virtual dub ore any mod version of virtual dub. There some great filter for virtual dub to try on you're movie.
Virtual dub is the most powerfull free program to work on you're avi

gl

The tiny program Mikass suggested worked nicely for conversion, ty for additional tips :) VirtualDub certainly made it easy, once I'd added the xvid x64 to my win7 it was very smooth and so fast joining I didn't notice the process.

(Had stuck the thread in OT since it wasn't about PE but about an old theater show. Still agree it could be useful in tech:) Thanks for moving.)

Glad it worked out, Meg!

Avid used to have a free video editor that was in the same product class as Adobe Premiere and Canopus (Now Grass Valley) Edius. Unfortunately, they've stopped distributing it, but it may be lurking in an online archive somewhere. If you were comfortable with Premiere, it might be worth looking for for future projects. I didn't mention it earlier because most of the pro quality editors have a pretty steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with video editing.

Again, congrats on a successful conversion!

AG

guy! i just want to help solving this problem, it just a trial vertion which is with a watermark,you can have a try for free,if you want to get it ,you must pay!
in fact, a free one normally rough and inferior, a good product must be paid!:mad:

I use free softwares. There a hundreds if not thousands of them and these days it's very easy to find them without any kind of watermarking or limited conversion.

...and now I see that you've sorted it out, so I'ma exit, stage left :laugh:

guy! i just want to help solving this problem, it just a trial vertion which is with a watermark,you can have a try for free,if you want to get it ,you must pay!
in fact, a free one normally rough and inferior, a good product must be paid!:mad:

+rep for a first post that was an attempt to help out a community member. Stick around and join the conversations!

might be interesting to do some new threads or replies to this one with all the freebie software out there for various image uses since we all usually end up wanting to do in game videos, images for threads here, etc.

Guess I'll start...
Gimp is great for 2d
Virtualdub is great for video
Camstudio is great for recording in game videos or doing other tutorial type video

I'll list more eventually. Lots of options out there.

Back