What´s the meaning?

LedEye

Old Alpha
Whats the meaning with the mentoring-shit?
As a 10´th of my disciples i kicked since he hasn´t been ingame for 2 months and stucked at 5%.
Disciples thinks that they´re going to have gear weapon armor tt-neopsion tpchip and so on, i am so tired of those whiners saying "You seems to be a high-skilled and rich person so u can give me things"

From now on i wont have any more disciples because of the fact i loose time effort and money trying to help those persons that is ungreatful when i help them to buy sweat at 1.0 per k sweat or help them with heal-service when they hunt and so..
Why even bother, when those persons saying that i am a cheap mother fucker that dont give them items when they are putting up a trade-request in my face while i am out scanning/whipping..

Regards Ledeye

First.. lay of the coloring.. it hurts the readers eye's

second, make better interviews with your disciples before you accept them.

uuuh, thats a lot of red

as soon i get asked for free stuff the answer is "no"
depending on much time i have i might bring the "this is RL money, and would you like it if ppl come RL to you asking for your cash?" and maybe even the "if you pay 40$ for a game in a store you can as well afford to deposit here"

but that i don't give free stuff i often tell them when i ask them if they need a mentor

just that part, the "asking" needs a lot of time in my case
I am very picky lately and it depends a lot on the general behavior of the person if i ask him at all, or -offer- mentoring
the mentor spends his time for advices and answers, not the disciple
so i have a right to be picky in case of disciples as well ;)

if someone asks for a mentor, especially in PA, it is for around 60% a person who wants free stuff
so i tell them "what do you expect your mentor to do?"
the answer decides if I offer mentoring or not

til now, from all the disciples i had, just 5-10 asked me for free stuff
needless to say i didnt see them again after a short while, and i think 3 even kicked me rather fast :p

and if they get cheeky, i kick them myself or ignore them from that point (depends on how cheeky, if they were too cheeky and dont like a mentor who doesnt give free stuff i won't kick them sure, thats a better "punishment")

however, i saw far more ppl which were grateful that i helped them, and which dont ask for stuff (actually, even offered stuff to me in some cases)

but to answer the question
the meaning of a mentor is to help the disciple
this disciple should be well chosen and worth to spend the time
even those will partially still quit, but they gonna be kind and nice company at least
and helping kind ppl is fun :)

i dont do much mentoring just because of that thing u just said :F but when i do take a disciple (once in a year or so).. i tell them right away that im not going to give u any stuff, only good advices and if thats not enuf u can always leave :F most of my disciples havent been online after the day ive met em.. so why give stuff when they aint even goin to play this game

i dont like ppl who whine for free stuff or something.. when i started this game i never had a mentor... i met few nice persons on my first days who helped me thru the begin by just givin me advices, running tps, helping me to get some of my claims when i wasnt able to drill em without someone killing those mobs :F

First.. lay of the coloring.. it hurts the readers eye's

second, make better interviews with your disciples before you accept them.

Color: No i am choosing whatever color i want ;)

Interwievs : Well, after a ten minutes of interwieving the newcomer they say no i wont ask for anything but in the end they descided to not deposit..
so.. therefor.. :(

Obviously your "success" in mentoring depends on the disciple you pick. I'm helpful and friendly to anyone that asks for help but I'd never say "yes" if someone asked me to be their mentor. I don't think having an interview with someone helps judge their character at all as it's very easy to lie...

I've not been well lately and wanted to put some of my energy in to being constructive and I thought getting a disciple would be a nice way of doing this. I went up to Swamp Camp and healed a few people for a while. I dragged the healthbars off of the people I could see who were constantly dying, going to sweat, dying, going to sweat etc - they were clearly determined. I then started chatting to one or two of them, one of whom is now a very determined and attentive disciple. They're already at 25%~ and haven't even deposited.

I think ultimately if you want a disciple you have to put the effort in to make sure you find a nice person; if you don't put that effort in there's no way of knowing who you'll end up with :)

Good for you. Who need a mentor anyway, it's not extremly hard to understand how this colorful slot machine works

Yeah, I have to say I know where you're coming from on this.

I have been stung several times now by Disciples who managed to come across really well during our preliminary chats and seemed to have to right attitude, but so far I have not had one who didn't either end up asking for stuff for free, or calling me a cheap git.

Make no mistake, my approach was always to be as helpful as possible, with TP runs, team hunts, sweating assistance, tours and explanations etc..

I even had a % based reward scheme for a while.. you know, piece of pixie or 2 at 10%, praps a weapon or a fap at 25% etc..

So far every single disciple I have tried to help has turned around and bitten my hand, then logged off permanently...

It bothered me for a while that maybe I was doing it wrong, or not doing enough, or maybe doing too much...

Sadly Alice is right to be really picky about who she takes under her wing.

For me, I will not be attempting to Mentor anyone for a good long while, if ever. I would Mentor a RL friend who joined EU, but Mentor a stranger..?

Been kicked in the face once too often... :(

the answer:

Mentor returning entropians!

I gave up on noobies geting to 2 % then disappearing, os i spent time looking for a returning entropian, and i found one who completed his discipleship in 5 weeks.

He knows the basic.. eg doesnt ask how to click a mob, he knows nothings free and he has to sweat or depo.. ( and he depos yay).

He needed alot fo stuff refreshing and bringinng up to date with sib equipment sL stuff etc, but he learnt quick cos of his past ventures in EU and
hes doing well.

Good for you. Who need a mentor anyway, it's not extremly hard to understand how this colorful slot machine works
understanding how you shoot is easy

but getting the weapon to be taken out by a key harder already

and getting to know that a justifier mk2 isn't the best gun to start very hard ;)

a mentor is not there to say "click on mob to shoot", rather to say whats useful to shoot with what, at which skill level, what would be the next best gun, what armor is useful, etc etc

as to thread, i wrote something about it here
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...entors-leaving-newbies-gifts.html#post1184749
(its a long post)

hf :)

I usually start by adding the person to my friends list and telling them to keep playing (sweating for a while) and see if they like it. Of course I'll give the person some quick advice about not rushing to depo until they get a good idea about the game (or whatever it is called these days ;)).
If they are still around after a few days (1 week maybe), then I tell them to start thinking about a Mentor, and explain what a mentor is; at that point, they can decide if they want one or not.
Anyway... as it was stated in some older posts/threads, the whole mentoring system is in dire need of some revamping or else, just like LedEye thinks, this will be useless and newcomers will be left by themselves unless they have a RL friend helping; the way I see it it's shame since EU will loose some players based on 1 experience/1day.
I know some people that will really like to make a profession out of mentoring but with the current setup is rather difficult and "unrewarding".

Back