Entropia Universe
April-June2009 April-June2008 Jan-June2009 Jan-June2008 CalendarYear 2008
New accounts 23 160 28 979 44 715 61 838 114 655
Relative growth -20% -23% -28% -8% -9%
Deposits (thousand PED) 29 993 40 649 60 536 82 991 160 144
Withdrawals (thou PED) -8 919 - 12 290 - 18 588 - 21 170 - 47 472
Net deposited (thou PED) 21 074 28 359 41 948 61 821 112 672
Relative growth -35% -8% -47% 7% -1%

These numbers are from MAs mid quarter financial statements(full statement found here-- http://www.mindark.se/press/financial-reports/documents/Semi-Annual-report-Q2-2009.pdf ) . I was going to write a post about the FPC 12(i think Marco said that there are 12 of them), and actually wonder how they get it all done, with input from the EU community that posts here on EF...I went to mindark.com to find the actual number of employees at mindark, but wandered upon the money papers. I'm not well versed with the mechanics of business myself, but I know that in a game like EU, lots of people that play the game more than likely are, so I figured i'd make this post for people that know about cash flow and business models, economic equations, consumer tendencies, etc to share their wealth of knowledge, It's also for people like me who look at the most obvious thing and wonder where the hell the loot is :ahh::confused::ahh:

on a side note....has anyone else noticed the Wastelander's globals? Is this an MA employee--one of the ppl in the event a week or so ago? not a complaint, just asking out of curiousity.

MA published their statement in peds? Amazing. I thought the PE Exchange was a thing of the past. Damned insiders.

means we are gonna have more no loot for the year hehe

April-June2009 April-June2008 Jan-June2009 Jan-June2008 CalendarYear 2008
New accounts 23 160 28 979 44 715 61 838 114 655
Relative growth -20% -23% -28% -8% -9%
Deposits (thousand PED) 29 993 40 649 60 536 82 991 160 144
Withdrawals (thou PED) -8 919 - 12 290 - 18 588 - 21 170 - 47 472
Net deposited (thou PED) 21 074 28 359 41 948 61 821 112 672
Relative growth -35% -8% -47% 7% -1%

I'm not an expert but it looks pretty grim for MA.
Simple comparison of the second quarter stats from this year and last (green and red) shows a significant contraction of business.
22.7% drop in number of new players joining the game and a 25.7% drop in revenue generated through deposits from players.

I'm not sure exactly how to read the relative growth figures (i.e. how they are calculated) but it looks like in the first 6 months of the year revenue generated from deposits has dropped by almost half, compared to a modest growth in revenue for the same period last year.

I know there has been a global downturn in the economy but it seems MA has been hit rather hard in the wallet. Perhaps it is fortunate people can't chip out and withdraw at the moment, figures like that could seriously shake confidence in the continuing viability of EU and trigger a devestating run on the bank.

I know there has been a global downturn in the economy but it seems MA has been hit rather hard in the wallet. Perhaps it is fortunate people can't chip out and withdraw at the moment, figures like that could seriously shake confidence in the continuing viability of EU and trigger a devestating run on the bank.

:scratch2:
ESI's and chipping out have been re-enabled with VU 10.1.1 (10.1 reintroduced them, but of course with bugs that cost us :laugh:). Hence the high volume of ESI's ingame right now, and the fact that they are (thankfully!) back up to around 900%, and rising.

Well those numbers just mean that

The sky is falling!

Well not really ;), depends alot on the second half of the year. But if it is as bad as the first half, I wouldn't hesitate to withdraw all my assets. The first half year was a very slow one with everybody waiting for CE2.

Well those numbers just mean that

The sky is falling!

Well not really ;), depends alot on the second half of the year. But if it is as bad as the first half, I wouldn't hesitate to withdraw all my assets. The first half year was a very slow one with everybody waiting for CE2.

IF ?

No offence but how happy generally were people in the past compared to now?

Sad to say, but I think I'm looking at something that's been coming a while.
The customer is always king, and that's why companies should notice when they seem not to be too happy. IF they don't, the balance sheet explains it later ...sometimes too late to do anything.

t

Looking at the report, I am quite impressed. They made quite a few new investments (new technical engine, Mindark Bank, new server park, renovation of some property (?)) and still turned a good size profit for such a small company.

I think that the most interesting fact was under the Unconsumed
user holdings. This is the amount of money in the Universe that currently belongs to us. It went from 39 million SEK (Whatever that is) to 58 million SEK.

It appears that our universe is getting bigger...

Looking at the report, I am quite impressed. They made quite a few new investments (new technical engine, Mindark Bank, new server park, renovation of some property (?)) and still turned a good size profit for such a small company.

I think that the most interesting fact was under the Unconsumed
user holdings. This is the amount of money in the Universe that currently belongs to us. It went from 39 million SEK (Whatever that is) to 58 million SEK.

It appears that our universe is getting bigger...

Yes... don't forget the fact that shifted more money into the contigency fund in order to be able to cover those increased game holdings...

PS SEK = Swedish Kroner which at the current rate of exchange equals 813,767.70 USD

Last edited:
Yes there is definately a global downturn happening.....

My company deals across all of Europe with flowers and plants, none essentials (a bit like Eu, or not)......

In the UK at the moment we are currently only achieving 35-40% of what we did like for like last year.#

So looking at these figures, bearing in mind the investments with new hamster wheels and nibble bars, and a new, cough cough, creative director which all need paying for, these numbers look about right.

If you needed to save $10 this week, would you
a/ not deposit into EU to play for an hour or two
b/ not buy a bunch of flowers for yourself

I think most people here would cut back on some other none essential and still try to play EU, maybe at a reduced rate.

But, who knows? I don't think the end is nigh just yet:)

Stinky:yay:

I'd actually go for the flowers :yay:

on topic though, Stinky pretty much evaluated to the T with regards to money point of view.

Although i'm still not too impressed about the new accounts made this year (which despite what some people think isn't actual new active players!... just new accounts). Or maybe MA/FPC are waiting for the game to get updated with all the stuff it had before and fix most of the bugs first, before they decide to unleash a huge add campaign.... can only hope

Notice that "Capitalized expenditures" is slightly higher than the operating profit though. Unlike other forms of income this post is not hard cash. It is simply a way to get (part of?) the investments/expenses associated with the development of new Entropia Software as income in the accounts. Since it represents the increased value of the software rather than money in the bank this income cannot be used to pay saleries or other expenses.

Content, content, content. No content, no sales *strike* deposits. And CE2 wasn't (really) content. Not to say CE2 doesn't look great or was an easy task.

Or maybe MA/FPC are waiting for the game to get updated with all the stuff it had before and fix most of the bugs first, before they decide to unleash a huge add campaign.... can only hope

You obviously don't want to grab everyone's attention to your product while its in a transition phase. At least wait until the full upgrade has been completed and the bugs worked out.

Heck, there are plenty of people currently in game that can't wait through the transition. Imagine trying to bring in a bunch of people who only heard the crying of the current members.

Back