What happened to the external ingame ads?

Waldi

Guardian
Society
NBK
Zan Waldi Dariel
When i started playing, there have been commercials for cinema and ads of other companies on our ingame screens.
At first i wasn´t very exited, but after thinking about it, i thought its great! They are paying the players for watching that stuff - the more ads, the better the loot?
I even placed my ava infront of a screen while making a break, in the hope to have better loot afterwards...:scratch2:

I still think its a great option for MA/FPC for a better income and in return a better loot for the players. In extrem, they would even be able to pay out more than the player deposited = profit for all :wtg:

So many options! Not only the screens, sound and music too, the walls of buildings etc etc etc

So, why did they stop with that?

propably advertising in EU doesn't pay for the advertisers..
assuming ~30k active players, and 1k - 5k online at a time, spread around the world.. not much marketing potential here..

my local newspaper in a small town reaches much more ppl and is concentrated on local business, and advertising there is for sure cheaper than the technology-costs of ingame-ads alone..

go figure..

MA would have to tailor their product to the mass-market for ingame-ads making sense.. but they don't.. they tailor it for some 1000 players of a boutique-game, a small niche, not a broad audience..

propably advertising in EU doesn't pay for the advertisers..
assuming ~30k active players, and 1k - 5k online at a time, spread around the world.. not much marketing potential here..

my local newspaper in a small town reaches much more ppl and is concentrated on local business, and advertising there is for sure cheaper than the technology-costs of ingame-ads alone..

go figure..

MA would have to tailor their product to the mass-market for ingame-ads making sense.. but they don't.. they tailor it for some 1000 players of a boutique-game, a small niche, not a broad audience..

agree
too short

Ehm.. you are basicaly saying, that Ma are amateurs, payed by a few stupid gamers who play a game nobody else is interested in...

Didn´t they aim to comepete with WOW? I´m sure i have read something in one of the official statemets in the past. :scratch2:

When they started my sugestion was to put ads in the client loader or the login screen. Then we would all see it and it would be easy to measure how many who actually see them.
Ingame ads, to hard to controll and measure.

Weren't the ads that used to be in game regional? I'm pretty sure that European players were not seeing the US Air force commercials that US players were.

Weren't the ads that used to be in game regional? I'm pretty sure that European players were not seeing the US Air force commercials that US players were.

Thats right

And those are not the only possibilities - MA can even show personalyzed ads due to their infos about their players (gender, age, location, deposits) - what someone is seeing on an ingame screen don´t have to be the same someone else is seeing - client related, ip related - i´m not an expert, but i can imagine a lot

Ehm.. you are basicaly saying, that Ma are amateurs, payed by a few stupid gamers who play a game nobody else is interested in...

Didn´t they aim to comepete with WOW? I´m sure i have read something in one of the official statemets in the past. :scratch2:

No were a few dedicated gamers who play a game that nobody knows of. We just need more players.

[...]
I even placed my ava infront of a screen while making a break, in the hope to have better loot afterwards...:scratch2:
[...]

loved that :D +rep ;)

we were seeing them

No were a few dedicated gamers who play a game that nobody knows of. We just need more players.

Of course, a bigger playerbase can help to get more money into the lootpool for those on the top of the pyramide.

But wouldn´t it be better to get money from outside the game that goes at least partly to every player?

I think we need both! More player=better for ads/more ads=better for player and both is income for MA/FPC

Atm they sellout the game, trying to convince "dedicated" players to make risky investments, leading to a more expensive game for everybody...:rolleyes: - i doubt that will bring in new players

live links are needed...

They need to create a way for you to open a browser from inside the game by clicking on an ad or something else... VRML could do it in the 1990s... why can't a game engine that's as advanced as Entropia Universe do it... They could even go a few steps further and make it possible to browse the internet from INSIDE of the game!.. Others have proven that it can be done... mostly with c++, which seems to be what they built this game engine on... just a matter of hiring the right programmer and giving them some creative distance...

With a much higher playerbase it could be worth. Escpecially for things like CPUs Craphic cards, and stuff that is sold globally. But for that there should be a much higher playerbase ( I think > 5 Million active players)

fair point...

whatever happened to it... it's dead... like so many projects...

The Entropian
The Bank Card
The Egg

fair point...

The Entropian
The Bank Card
The Egg

the space pirates ? ;)

Knowing MA, they probably charge a fortune to advertise in Entropia.

fair point...

The Entropian
The Bank Card
The Egg

the space pirates ? ;)

What`s next...the hope? I cant wait until these new planets get up and running and we can finally see if the great potential that EU has starts to take off. Obviously Planet Calypso is`nt able to do it on it`s own from what we`ve seen in many years now. There is so much they could add to attract people. But I fear their focus is more on pulling income from existing infrastructure and hampered by alot of the responsibility and requirements that some other content I`m thinking of could bring. Like voice chat, in game mail systems, file sharing etc. So many potential problems could come from it for them despite the benefit to players and possibly the whole of EU. They would be much more liable for what transpires over their network. And that would require alot more work for them that does`nt have to do with the core game but monitoring and dealing with any authorities that request information and want to verify compliance etc. Time will tell. But how much more time and will it be too late?

Back