What happened to the Oil Rig???

Does the Oil Rig need some action?

• Yes, where is the Oil to fight for?

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • Yes, Spiders and Atrox Stalkers were always fun!

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Too much chit chat, not enough fighting!

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Oil Rig?...oh that fun place in the past....

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • No, I prefer to look at the nice buildings and chat!

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
I have popped past the Oil Rig a few times in the last few weeks and what has happened? Its dead quiet. Max 1 or 2 players standing around bored, no Oil, no Spiders, no big Atrox Stalkers....all that set up and nothing but the sound of crickets?

Surely if the Oil Rig would put out as little as 50Ped Oil per day it would draw some players there, It won't cost MA anything other than the cost of one global. Also I remember when the mobs around the Rig were a big test to get past, one time Stave even made a farm! Hmmmm I think the Rig needs an overhaul! What do you think?

I think it needs to go back to 1 PED of oil per minute instead of 10 PED ever 12-15 minutes..

Means people would actually have to be alert the whole time instead of going AFK between drops..

Rationally if it's that quiet you are probably right there or somewhere in between.
But I dont go there for the Oil just to drop in and say hi :)

I think it needs to go back to 1 PED of oil per minute instead of 10 PED ever 12-15 minutes..

Means people would actually have to be alert the whole time instead of going AFK between drops..
I will try help the cause with a support case :).

Yeah, the normal same people are there, who take the oil everytime it spawns, they tend to go afk, or do nothing untill the oil is due to spawn , and then they start moving, but only for about 30 secs.

It is boring now, i rememder when there use to be 40 odd people at the rig, now, lucky to find 5

Oil dispensation rate?

Case Description
* Category: In-World (game play)
* Subject of query: Suggestion
* Summary: Oil dispensation rate?
* Details: I would like to draw your attention to this thread. https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...to-the-Oil-Rig&p=2691142&posted=1#post2691142

With this perticular quote.

PVP atm is quite stale with vehicles making get aways a lot easier in pvp4 & now with oil drops at a less frequent drop rate.

Pvp is just not fun anymore, we appreciate the revamp you gave the pvp zone around the Oil Rig, but it just isnt enough. I suggest you bring back the old settings of 1ped oil drop per minute & not the current 10ped drop per max 15minutes. If you calculate, that is a 20ped decrease per hour.

But to be honest, with the way it is now it is very boring. As pk'ers are not always on full alert they can just time the next drop before making a move. I personally don't see how this can be profitable for calypso.

If it had a more frequent drop rate, more ppl would have a chance at getting oil no matter how small & the possibility of fighting back more often. Hope you take this suggestion seriously in the near not far future.

Thank you. (maximum 64,000 characters)

That's what I wrote, if anyone agree's feel free to copy some/all of the content above. (I give you permission too) So SEE can actually SEE what we want!! And what needs to be changed/addressed for the community, since they want to establish better communication lines.

Yep, I agree.
Something should be done with the oil rig to make it more fun.

Will be cool if SEE made the oil rig "No Vehicles", and made the drop tare more often.

Will be cool if SEE made the oil rig "No Vehicles", and made the drop tare more often.
Ahh :scratch2:, the revamp I was referring to was changing the layout of the pvp zone around the rig to incorporate vehicles. The vu vehicles came out is when this was changed & tbh I like the layout its very thought out, with new heights & areas to exploit, not just the local rig area.

The old rig layout, you almost had no way of being able to approach it, now we do. So don't remove the vehicles they actually spice things up, due to high hp, high speed, high damage etc. Its also a challenge trying to find a way to take them down if at all possible :D.

good im glad i cant stop laughing hahahahah about time MA steped up on the oil rig the oil rig should go out the game like just get rid of it :laugh:

its not helping the economy at all :yup:

i mean us ubers know better than getting free money we are ubers for christ sake we dont need free oil money hahhaha if you want to pvp go into the lootable zone are are you scared or like greed too much come to lootable pvp if your man enought to face me

the rig should be for new players only if i had the best gun in game i would stay loged in to keep the ubers away and invite all the noobs their

think about this for a second with out your limitations of your mind

i belive in freedom of speech
i seek the truth in this world goverments have lied to us goign of topic here back on topic

we ubers should be hunting big giant mobs not low health cheap noobs or all the ubers go into lootable zone still a chance to profit

peace im out and may the oil crash begin just like the real life oil price right now its going all time high look at the stock market to see

I've wanted to get my thoughts and feelings about the new rig off my chest for some time already, guess this thread is the place for it. I voted for the first 4 points in the poll and here's why:

Yes, where is the Oil to fight for?
The oil is there, with the same drop rate as the last 6 years, which has always been 37.5 ped oil per hour on average. It doesn't spawn around the rig anymore though, where most people would expect it, but on the north side of the rig structure and it can spawn all over the place.

Yes, Spiders and Atrox Stalkers were always fun!
There are still the same mobs around the rig, except cornundacaudas were replaced by caudertagus and hiryuu are spawning at the north outpost. Other than that, it's still the same mix of atrox and armax mostly, with some molisk, atrax and a spider spawn a bit further away. People don't hunt here anymore though. The lacking radar isn't helping with hunting, and the spawns arent as close to the rig as they used to be, so people have to go out of chatting range with the rig people to hunt. This used to be a big social factor at the old rig and is completely lacking now. The only exception is a trox stalker just west of the rig that spawns over and over again on the same place when killed.
Mobtraining the rig is a lot easier now with vehicles, making mobtrains on the rig a common occurance (few times a day is normal). Those mobs usually don't get killed either though, they get pulled out again with vehicles after the culprit bringing them in has left. And while the mobs are there, you can just switch to VTOLs and keep picking oil like nothing happened.

Too much chit chat, not enough fighting!
A consequence of the new spawn system. At the old rig, there were times that were very calm, and times that were very busy. At times, I could hang at the rig for half a day, picking over 300 peds of oil while watching a movie or playing poker and not paying much attention at all. Sometimes there was a few people just wanting to chat or hunt, sometimes they wanted oil, resulting in fun fights. Sometimes there was a big war with 15 people on each side, not for the oil, but for the honor and respect of being able to hold the rig against another group of people. Sometimes there were 10 people at the rig, even noobs, no fighting going on, and everyone had a chance of getting some oil, provided they could pick it fast enough. And you met new people every day. A lot of my friends and even socmates I have met at the rig. Nowadays, you have a group of maybe 20-25 rig regulars. At any given time there will be at least 3 of them at the rig, driving around picking oil and destroying any other vehicle that's not in their oil team. (Yes, Im part of the team too, but I don't hang around at the rig nearly as much as I used to. It just isn't so fun anymore and with the 5-10 peds an hour you can expect with a team that big, it just isn't worth it.) This leaves no room for noobs to pick oil. Sure, you may argue that there's a lot of places for the noob to hide and not get shot. But to pick the oil, you have to go out there in the field where you will be spotted and killed immediately.

Oil Rig?...oh that fun place in the past....
No comment, see above.

No, I prefer to look at the nice buildings and chat!
Didn't vote on this part but I partly agree with it. The scenery is nice, the rig structure with the landing pads and oil barrels lying around adds to the atmosphere. The fort northwest of the rig, obviously meant for vehicle fights is nice too, but it has one big problem. It has no use. It's nowhere near where the oil spawns, so people have no incentive to fight there. An RX unit or Wastelander attack there would be great though. (Remember the one that took place in PVP1 with the two bases against each other? Yup, kinda like that.)

In conclusion, I agree the rig needed changes. People wanted a place that would be easier for noobs to get oil, that wouldnt be occupied by people feeding off the rig like me for years. A bigger oil spawn was suggested, and more hiding places. I think FPC did a great job of listening to those suggestions, they really made the rig more "noobfriendly" on first sight. But when you look at it closer, all it did was the exact opposite. Noobs have an even lower chance of getting any oil, the rig is no longer a hunting spot, it is no longer a warzone. It just looks a lot nicer now.

resources and how to use them

MA, FPC, SEE, or whatever, has put a lot of designing time in the new rig. I wonder to what purpose, that money is spent. I loved the old rig, pre vu-10. You had the hills, the bunkers, the mobs... and over all, oil!.
I never like the new rig. It is way too large. Maybe it would be interesting to have this sort of rig, if there were like over 100ppl constantly, but guess what, there aren't

So I keep wondering why money, effort and developping time is spent on such big projects. How much % of the developing time goes into iconic projects to satisfy the ego of each of the designers, and will never be used again, or even be replaced (hades, minipolis, rig, ...)when a new designer is hired and he thinks he can do a better job, or put his stamp on this virtual planet? Is this for the better?
Imo the answer to that question is simple: NO.

SPEND YOUR BUDGET ON ACCEPTABLE LOOT instead of new useless cities that will be cancelled in time (=+- 90% general return, instead of 30-40%),
GIVE US REGULAR RETURNS instead of 1 person getting an uber hof, and 90% of us nothing (Ok, an occasional ath is good for marketing)

In real life a company can focus on either its strengths or it weaknesses. MA has been focussing to improve its weaknesses, like the poor alienish design of the pre-vu10 (which I personally liked, since it made this game different from others). By putting huge effort in a company by focussing on its weaknesses, imo EU has lost some of its strenghts.

Don't get me wrong here, I like new designs, additions etc. But why does Calypso need to look like a new Dubai, while its setting was a rough survival settlement on a distant planet?

What is the use of new cities, tons of money spent on making it look like an oil state city, when there isn't the people to fill those cities. We used to have small towns in EU, with a bunch of ppl around. Now we have huge cities, with the same amount of ppl, but the place looks empty because of its scale vs players.

More budget for marketing (not Neverdie-style pls), less priority for redesigning?

WHAT TURNS OFF PPL FROM BRINGING FRIENDS IN GAME ARE THE LOW RETURNS, since we know we cannot lure our friends to make money, because we don't believe in it ourselves...

just my2pec, oh no wait, I lost those hunting
cheers then
Naomi

P.S. fun is not made by buildings, but by ppl.

Last edited:
Yes please, start pumping...

Move the big building 200m away from the rig and add some smaller obstiles to hide behind clos to the rig.

I dont know about others but i kinda liked that the radar was working...

The rig drops as much oil as it always did... 30-40 ped per hour.

Problem is it is always the same players there all the time, and always sharing, and going afk... boooooring!

Old oil rig was much more fun for sure, lots of soc wars, lots going on most of the time

I actually disagree with this concept, though I have considered it. Sweating and walking for fruit/stones/dung both produce a low-risk stream of small change. I like how the rig gives a high-risk-high-reward option for free PED. If I strike Oil, I want to earn enough to notice it.

What I personally do is walk around the rig area looking for fruit/stones/dung. Most of the PKers do not bother killing me, since I tend not to actively look for Oil if I can just chill or walk around (some still do). Then if everyone chooses to leave the rig for a period of time (it has happened), I can claim the Oil drops as well.

Hmm, I haven't been to that part of the universe in quite some time. Maybe if the Atrox and Anareatrox have migrated, now would be a good time to visit.

Yeh I went there with a new player recently... we waited and nothing happenned... I thought there were meant to be small amounts of oil popping up occasionally?

I think the Oil Rig PvP should be an area where no one could use armor or healing tools and only allow CB5/Opalo, without amplifiers. This would cause many try to "conquer" the rig, with major battles in which the novice might be involved. I think the Oil Rig was originally created with the idea that it was a place for beginners and not a übers hunting ground, with all the respect I deserve them.

At the moment the Oil rig is dead. Why ?
The new players usually didn't have any chance to get the oil, because of the few wanna-be ubers which are spending their lifetime there.
The real ubers have no point to go there, as they can do a lot better and fun thing with their time.
The placa is not good for hunting,there are no good resources for mining, even the stone/fruits there are rare.
So whats the point someone to go there ?

I think the Oil Rig PvP should be an area where no one could use armor or healing tools and only allow CB5/Opalo, without amplifiers. This would cause many try to "conquer" the rig, with major battles in which the novice might be involved. I think the Oil Rig was originally created with the idea that it was a place for beginners and not a übers hunting ground, with all the respect I deserve them.

Inequality, by means of skill level, is built into EVERY MMORPG you can find. Deal with it, or play Monopoly Junior instead. A change I would MUCH rather see would be to have the Atrax spawn at the northern revive thinned (which keeps getting more dense each time I visit). This would allow new/poor players to visit the rig without cost (TP Chip or vehicle), and then each player would have a chance at getting Oil proportional to their in-world skill level, as well as "personal abilities."

Back