What is a Colonist MMO to you?

Status

DeeDee

Prowler
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Dee Dee Deranged
FPC say they want to focus more on making Calypso a colonist MMO.

What do you think a colonist MMO should contain? What is a colonist to you?
And how should FPC design the world and the gameplay so that you really feel like a colonist, a pioneer on this "virgin" planet?

Some way of actually interacting with the environment in a way that has an impact on it.

I read somewhere (I think it was one of those interviews Skam did with the MA guys at their HQ) that when they start doing the town overhauls, their final appearance/size/etc will depend a lot on the way players will be interacting with it. I guess even something to do with quests.

To me a colonist is someone who are taking a risk entering a new world, or who have been forced there for some reason.
Mostly very poor or with few resources, but with lots of drive, toughness and ingenuity.

A colonist is someone who go where hardly none been before, carve out their little area and with hard labor make it work and prosper. And then expand on their business and spread into new areas.

A colonist is someone who see the potentials and exploit it in new ways.

On a new planet I feel there are a few things a colonist would mainly be doing.

- Claim a piece of land.
- Become the legal owner of the land. (through violence, 'first to claim'-rights and some other methods)
- Build structures on the land. (house, well, bridge, dock, wall etc).
- Farm the land for crops.
- Cut trees and plant new ones.
- Domesticate animals.
- Make tools and weapons from basic natural resources. (the first weapon a colonist makes, would most likely be a spear, not a laser pistol).
- Give the new places and items names.
- Trade with any intelligent life forms (at trade posts), and exchange knowledge.
- Combing new knowledge with old to invent completely new items and methods to get resources.
- Colonist activity should leave it's mark on the landscape. Give the place a history (Old house in ruins, ditches, old mines, signposts, tracks etc).

to me a colonist should be able to claim a small piece of land for them selves, grow and cultivate it (using things aquired throught mining/hunting/quests) and develop it into something of use to them.

Not sure this is possible or not as the land required would be quite excessive if there was to be enough for every player and every player to come.

But saying that I love the game the way it is and anything they add is just a bonus really

There could be certain conditions to be met to be able to claim a piece of land. One way could be through mining towers. Maybe it could work something like this:

- A miner find a deposit large enough to get him a tower.
- The tower have a couple of services available as long as it is active (mineral refining, repair of finders) and accessible by everyone.
- Part of the service fee would go to the miner who own the tower.
- If the services on the tower is used for certain amount (in PEDs, clicks, minutes..) every day/week the tower stay active.
- If the tower become inactive (minerals are gone and the services not used enough) it still stays in game, but the gfx model is switched to a derelict tower.
- The miner who found the tower get to name the place, and it will be displayed on a signpost, on or near the tower.
- When an active tower been around for certain amount of time (PEDs in services) the miner receive the land around it. And an FPC landscape designer adjust the landscape a bit to make it look like the area is used as a work place.
- The lucky miner now gets several options on how he can develop the new land area. Some will demand PED investments, and other thing might be activate by solving quests or by some mini game.

Anyone else have thougths on this?

All good ideas what gave me a smile and thought, this EU nothing comes free, but never the less still good ideas.

Very good points made so far, very much what I would expect as a colonist.

One of the primary reasons people become colonists of a new area is for the opportunity to own land. A true colonist intends to stay, not merely discover, profit and leave. Trade and discovery are the means whereby a colonist acquires resources to achieve that primary aim.

"40 acres and a mule", this is how colonisation worked the world over - give a person some land, or allow them to claim land, some basic tools, and let them build a new world for you.

My biggest disappointments with EU as a colonist are the extremely high barriers to land ownership for development, and the lack of real construction activity, such as building houses and shops.

Let us settle in PVE (Player Vs. Environment) and turn on the destruction physics. I'd love to build my home and have battle happen around it and potentially take battle damage.

Then when I pay my rent, my home is "cloned" back to it's pristine condition!

Let us settle in PVE (Player Vs. Environment) and turn on the destruction physics. I'd love to build my home and have battle happen around it and potentially take battle damage.

Then when I pay my rent, my home is "cloned" back to it's pristine condition!

Good thinking!

Maybe a land owner coould chose his land to be a PvP zone. Taking higher risks with maintaining his structures, and defending them, but also gaining more. Maybe a tax rate for PvP loot?

I do agree with what you say in first the post,

To me a colonist is someone who are taking a risk entering a new world, or who have been forced there for some reason.
Mostly very poor or with few resources, but with lots of drive, toughness and ingenuity.

A colonist is someone who go where hardly none been before, carve out their little area and with hard labor make it work and prosper. And then expand on their business and spread into new areas.

A colonist is someone who see the potentials and exploit it in new ways.

but I strongly disagree with the rest. I don’t think that EU should become a copy of the real world. It should be what was intended in the first place: a strange, bizarre and totally different world than real one.

I do agree with what you say in first the post,

but I strongly disagree with the rest. I don’t think that EU should become a copy of the real world. It should be what was intended in the first place: a strange, bizarre and totally different world than real one.

Interesting. I agree with you that Calypso should be strange, bizarre and different from the real world. But in what way do you picture the life of the colonist on this new world to be all this, and still be seen as a colonist life?

Interesting. I agree with you that Calypso should be strange, bizarre and different from the real world. But in what way do you picture the life of the colonist on this new world to be all this, and still be seen as a colonist life?

I don’t know, but maybe we should find some alien tools and start to build some strange machinery of some sort you know… things like that. But no gardening for me or growing trees.

I don’t know, but maybe we should find some alien tools and start to build some strange machinery of some sort you know… things like that.

That is another game ;) lol

I want to be able to shape the land with my rocket launcher :D

Squatters' Right most definitely... I actually hade a small living space behind a crafting machine in Atlas Haven for about a week before some noob came by and decided my home was more valuable in TT fodder form...

Personally, open more places to live, versatile places, too. I see no reason why no major TP can't have a few homes around them... Even Billy's has a shack.

Heck... You might as well convert some of the old banks into low income housing... It's better than letting them fall into disuse and then having to have robots crash a spaceship into them to get rid of them...

Just some of my thoughts...

Reactions: Ozi
Not a Farmer

Sorry - I didn't become a colonist to be a farmer, but it is an option that will appeal to others and add new channels of buying and selling to the economy, so I'm all for it :)

I see a space colonist as the rugged explorer attempting to tame the wilderness of an alien world, to try and scratch a living from the wild - hunting, mining, etc..

I see a space colonist as the reluctant-but-determined fighter for the survival of his or her new 'home', taking on all threats, side-by-side with their peers.

I see the space colonist as the jaded dreamer, still willing to help along newcomers, stars in their eyes, who want to join in the struggle to defend and extend civilization.

I see a space colonist as the clever problem-solver, finding novel solutions to overcome obstacles and puzzles, always looking forward.​

Something like that.

:beerchug:

Miles

I don’t know, but maybe we should find some alien tools and start to build some strange machinery of some sort you know… things like that. But no gardening for me or growing trees.

Yeah, I'd like that too! There is nothing that says it has to be ORDINARY gardening or trees. Maybe cybernetic flowers and flesh eating trees you need to feed with Daikiba meat. :)

Yeah, I'd like that too! There is nothing that says it has to be ORDINARY gardening or trees. Maybe cybernetic flowers and flesh eating trees you need to feed with Daikiba meat. :)

I would love to be a farmer. Just grow some vegetables and have a herd of Daikiba next to my humble abode built from sticks.

More thoughts on this, now when we have seen the latest Estate Development features?

Are you feeling like a colonist yet? *bump* :yay:

More thoughts on this, now when we have seen the latest Estate Development features?
Rumor tells me (email from FPC staff a while back) that estate development is on hold, at least for booths due to lag issues... BUT, they did upgrade a few booths around Neas and elsewhere that had upgrades ordered prior to December... but, AND HERES THE NEAT PART - that same rumor tells me that it might be possible later this year to do upgrades to any estate via an automated in game process that they are working on... No word if it'll be done through estate terminal, tt terminal or some other process, but it is nice to hear that they are working on it. I look forward to being able to upgrade my estate's item points in game someday without having to email FPC about it or talk directly to an FPC avatar/i.e. the estate broker... and do so at a price below what shopkeepers are running these days.

Rumor tells me (email from FPC staff a while back) that estate development is on hold, at least for booths due to lag issues... BUT, they did upgrade a few booths around Neas and elsewhere that had upgrades ordered prior to December... but, AND HERES THE NEAT PART - that same rumor tells me that it might be possible later this year to do upgrades to any estate via an automated in game process that they are working on... No word if it'll be done through estate terminal, tt terminal or some other process, but it is nice to hear that they are working on it. I look forward to being able to upgrade my estate's item points in game someday without having to email FPC about it or talk directly to an FPC avatar/i.e. the estate broker... and do so at a price below what shopkeepers are running these days.

That sounds promising! :)

- Claim a piece of land.
- Become the legal owner of the land. (through violence, 'first to claim'-rights and some other methods)
- Domesticate animals.
- Make tools and weapons from basic natural resources. (the first weapon a colonist makes, would most likely be a spear, not a laser pistol).
- Trade with any intelligent life forms (at trade posts), and exchange knowledge.
- Combing new knowledge with old to invent completely new items and methods to get resources.
- Colonist activity should leave it's mark on the landscape. Give the place a history (Old house in ruins, ditches, old mines, signposts, tracks etc).

hi there,

I think you are confusing with the old days, where we came from, we are in the future and gained a new planet trough technology and spacetravel... There should be no need to farm we should be able to extract our nutrients from raw material, We have technology that can reproduce itself (Robot wars...)

EU has many paradox, why would we as advanced as we are use melee weaps? Why would we drive a car that looks like something out of the stoneage? Why would we buy most expencive clothes that look alot like IRL...

I love the way they are developing the game but sometimes i dont like the way things look now and then. Conclusion, it looks too much like IRL i think.

~dont ask me, i'm just a n00b~

So there i was, fresh from the spaceship, fantastic,
The first thing i did was;
Quote;
the first weapon a colonist makes, would most likely be a spear

EU has many paradox, why would we as advanced as we are use melee weaps?

Well, simply because when we arrive we do so (usually) without any kind of technology available (unless we deposit right away). And I argue that someone who owns nothing would pick up a stick from the ground as a first weapon in such a hostile world as Calypso. This regardless what kind of technology that potentially is available later when we have aquired funds to buy it.

I only answer you on this question, as the others I feel don't really fit the subject.

How many times have I stated be careful what you ask for as they will fuck you six ways from Sunday when its implanted into game?.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...pc-why-did-you-do-away-ownership-estates.html

You guys learning ANY lessons yet?

- Claim a piece of land.
- Domesticate animals.

There is a Egyptian themed MMO that has this in there game and it is a very cool game it would be nice to have a mix of there system with ours. They run on a P2P system and you have to do everything collect grass, mix it with mud and sand to make bricks on a brick rack you made from wood...its pretty cool.

Status
Back