What is the demographic of the EU Playerbase?

I’m curious, what does the playerbase of EU look like demographically?

The reason I ask is this: I sometimes work from home during the week and am able to log an hour here or an hour there whenever things are slow at work. But without fail - whether I log in during the middle of the work day, in the afternoon, at night time, or in the wee hours of the early morning, the same people always seem to be online.

This made me wonder: are EU’s players mostly retirees who never have to work during the day? Or is there more to it than this?

For those wondering, I am a 28-year old located in the USA (turning 29 on Friday!).

It was said in either the financial report or when they went public on that one stock market. I'll see if I can find it, but kind of busy until after work.

most of my soc are them type of people that dont sleep for days then they do sleep they sleep for 12+ hours lol so idk

Found it! https://kalqyl.se/sites/default/files/2023-07/MindArk initial - english_1.pdf

"Entropia Universe has a broad user base ranging from 18 to 75 years old, and the average age is 33 years. The higher average age of the players means that the user base has strong financial resources and thus may spend more money in the game. Most users reside in North America and Western Europe, leading to high revenue per user. Since the game is based on a real-world economy, users must be at least 18 years old to play the game. Entropia Universe currently has over five million registered accounts20"

Thanks Draniie! Wow, 5 million registered accounts and yet only ~4K or so hunters on the daily EntropiaLife list. Obviously some folks aren’t registered with EL or never global but still, wow!

Wow, 5 million registered accounts
That's not that strange, that's like being impressed that someone has like 500k instagram followers. Got to look at the actual engagement. a 20 year old game will have people who create an account and never play (me about 15 years ago)

By Comparison WOW has 4.6 MILLION accounts paying for membership monthly as of August 15th 2023. and 100million accounts created in July of 2014!

Runescape has had 320 Million accounts created as of July 2 2023. Even if ONLY 1% still played that's 3.2 million users monthly users.

If we can take that information across maybe 50 different MMO's, we should be able to more accurately figure out how many current users in Entropia there are.

After running through a few, it seems to be between 1-4% of all accounts created are still logging in once a month in those other mmos.

So that would be between 50k-200k DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS log in AT LEAST once a month in Entropia.

I think that lines up pretty close to 13 ped being "used" on average an hour

EDIT: yes this includes bots,alts, etc. but it does for all the other games as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Draniie! Wow, 5 million registered accounts and yet only ~4K or so hunters on the daily EntropiaLife list. Obviously some folks aren’t registered with EL or never global but still, wow!
The game is 20 years old... even taking into account that the stat is old its fair enough that they have that many signups over 2 decades. Most won't be active and probably most were created when Az slashdotted the Spacestation Sale to Neverdie. Slashdot is kinda old now so that tells you how long ago we are talking. They never advertise active users. McCormick used to compile some stats based on the different forum activities to try and get an indicator of the level of active interest in the game but everything is a yardstick to guess with. No one really knows how many are active. Best indicators are probably things like the deed payouts but even those are a yardstick as revenue isn't correlated exactly with active players.

Incidentally this may be of interest if I can get the link to work. Noting that Entropia is not big enough to be on the list of course but the key observation here is that MMO's in general have dropped a lot in popularity over the last quarter century.

mmo-populations-1998-2013.png

Geographical revenue distribution
In 2022, the majority of the company's revenue came from Europe (59%), followed by North America (29%), Asia (10%) and other (2%). It is relatively similar to what it looked like in 2021, with some minor changes. We like that the company's revenue base is diversified, which reduces the risk associated with a specific country or region.

Those age numbers seem pretty inline with what I'd guess.

Those geographic numbers surprise me, but then again, I do run into a lot of europeans in-game.

From the DeepToken campaign 2018:

index.php
Despite being a little dated, it surprises me that 31% of the players were from the U.S. back then. The majority of players I talk with in-game are from Western Europe (usually England or Germany). Maybe the European bunch are just more talkative/outspoken 😂

Last edited:
Now there are around 4 or 5 regular players from mainland china, and sometimes few random guys come and go pretty quick (active less than 3 months) that not counted. There were more before 2009.
Language is one reason and the other is the average cost if you want to have some fun in Eu. Me at 40s nowadays...
Anyway Eu brought a lot fun and good memories to me, i missed old times and old friends :p

Hmmmmmm A nice chunk out of that pie. :) :tiphat:

Last edited:
Long, long ago, I joined the EU community after watching my youngest brother, Captain Spaulding, play. I started, as I assume most all do, sweating. In those days, there was what I believe was an old battleground with these scattered old machines or vehicles,, a couple of which were stuck vertically in the ground. You could climb to the top of this one particular wreck and sweat cornundacauda dragged in from a herd a short distance away. Spending entirely too many hours up there, I was always impressed with the waves of the different European nationalities that would come in game, sweat for a while, and then be replaced by the next group. Then, there would be a long pause before here came the Aussies. That's when I learned just how vast/varied the player base really is.

Let's just say that my avatar will turn 18 in April and, therefore, will be legally allowed to play this game.

So basically I get to play my avatar and during my offline-time my avatar gets to play his avatar...

This is going to be interesting...

Let's just say that my avatar will turn 18 in April and, therefore, will be legally allowed to play this game.

So basically I get to play my avatar and during my offline-time my avatar gets to play his avatar...

This is going to be interesting...
this sounds soooooo wrong :D

Back