What is your Favroute Genre of Rock?

What is your Favroute Genre of Rock? (Info of Genre's in thread)

• Alternative

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Alternative Rock

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Pop Rock

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • Post Grunge

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Punk

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • Metal

Votes: 65 46.8%
  • Nu Metal

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Indie

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • Classic Rock

Votes: 60 43.2%
  • Industrial

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Other - Post info below

Votes: 34 24.5%

• Total voters

Stave

Deactivated Account
Ok following my previous poll i now ask you, What is your Favroute Genre of Rock?

This is multiple Choice.

You can vote for your Metal Genres here... https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/entropia-radio/173323-what-your-favroute-genre-metal.html

Alternative - This genre can sometimes go hand in hand with a lighter version of post grunge

Key Artists: 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, and Switchfoot

Alternative Rock - A little more harsher on the vocals

Key Artists: Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, and Trapt

Pop Rock - Usually catchy, faster beats with "un"-strained vocals-- the male vocal can get away with sounding less masculine.

Key Artists: Blink 182, Fall out boy, Paramore

Grunge - Very careless and "grunge-y" vocals with a catchy (but slower) riff in the background.

Key Example: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Bush.

Post Grunge - The sub genre that sprouted from Grunge after it lost its popularity in the 90s.
Key Artists: Nickelback

Punk - A very repetitive and fast-paced genre that is usually focused on repeating riffs throughout the song. The lyrics are usually rebelling a topic, and the band's image can be non-conforming.

Key Artists: Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Bad Religion, Rise Against, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited

Metal - A more hardcore form of rock also focused on guitar riffs and strained vocals, The vocals usually cannot get away with sounding feminine.

Key Artists: Guns N Roses, Metallica, Pantera, Judas Priest. Newer example: Slipknot.

Nu Metal - Also called "Rapcore" incorporates rock and rap.

Key Artists: Linkin Park, P.O.D. and Limp Bizkit.

Indie - underground rock that record from independent labels, no particular sound because it varies so much but its good stuff

Key Artists: Tokyo Police Club, Electric Soft Parade, Kasabian, Longwave, Maritime

Classic Rock - Pretty broad but has a ton of good bands best rock out there.

Key Artists: Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Aerosmith, The Who, Ac/Dc, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath

Industrial
- When people hear the term “industrial” applied to rock, they generally assume it’s a harsh, unpleasant musical form full of discordant noise, synthesizers and drum machines, but it should be noted that industrial can also be accessible, using unconventional instruments in a mainstream rock setting.

Key Artists: Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, White Zombie

Other - Post info below

=================================================

Emo - is short for a style of hard rock that is supposedly "emo"-tional in spite of its hardness.

emo first emerged in the mid 80s it was a form of punk subculture nothing like it is known as today, more recently was reborn as the sort of depressive/sad more emotional sort of music a lot of them are seen in the public eye where im from in the main city center hundreds of them gather on a daily basis along with a lot of punk/goth/alternatie formly known as teenie greenie

teenie greenie

A british 'mall metal' person.

Originally from Newcastle where all teenie greenies hang around 'the green', they are the scum of the earth who think they are individual because they listen to whatever 'Kerrang!' ("rock" music magazine) tells them

They often think they are better then eveyone eles and consider themselves "individuals" and "outcasts"

Teenie greenies are easy to spot as they wear nothing but black, and wear ties over t-shirts. Many wear nail varnish and makeup and spend hours making sure thier hair looks "messy".

1 Vote

Key Artists: Taking Back Sunday, Texas Is The Reason, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Coheed And Cambria, Funeral For A Friend

Rock & Roll; I realize it's very very old school, but It's still good music IMO.

Rock n Roll - A form of popular music arising from and incorporating a variety of musical styles, especially rhythm and blues, country music, and gospel. Originating in the United States in the 1950s, it is characterized by electronically amplified instrumentation, a heavily accented beat, and relatively simple phrase structure.

1 Vote

Key Artists: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, James Brown, Bob Dylan

Ah, I cover the whole specter really, but favorites?

Classic, Alternative and Grunge perhaps. My absolute favorite though isn't mentioned here: Progressive Rock! :)

Progressive Rock - a style of rock music that emerged in the 1970s; associated with attempts to combine rock with jazz and other forms; intended for listening and not dancing

7 Votes

Key Artists: Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull

Absolutely Metal! Most of the spectrum within metal: Death, Black, Doom, Gothic, Progressive, Folk, Orchestral and everything in between.

I'm with Skam on this too, Prog Rock most definitely, favourite bands Porcupine Tree and Ayreon (actually a project).

Also Post Rock - bands: Leech, Long Distance Calling, If These Trees Could Talk.

Peace.

Post Rock - A genre of music which uses rock instrumentation for "non-rock" purposes, often producing songs which are akin to rock music, yet still very different

2 Vote

Key Artists: Leech, Long Distance Calling, If These Trees Could Talk.

I am going to throw another curve ball. My favorite is Progressive Metal. Bands include Dream Theater, Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X.

Thats my vote.

Progressive Metal - Blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Some progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are usually much longer than standard metal songs, and they are often thematically linked in concept albums.

3 Votes

Key Artists: Dream Theater, Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X

plus you forgot

hardcore, like

sevendust, system of the down, mushroomhead

and you forgot Death metal

Like death angel, and such bands

Hardcore punk
, often referred to as simply hardcore, is a subgenre of punk rock that originated primarily in North Americain the late 1970s. The new sound was generally faster, thicker, and heavier than earlier punk rock. Early hardcore has a quick tempo with drums and vocals in time, whereas modern hardcore punk has drums and vocals which may not be on beat with the tempo.

1 Vote

Key Artists - Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Children of Bodom

If Im gonna be picky, there's another rock option I miss. Blues-Rock.

Blues Rock - Blues-rock is a hybrid musical genre combining bluesy improvisations over the 12-bar blues and extended boogie jams with rock and roll styles. The core of the blues rock sound is created by the electric guitar, bass guitar and drum kit, with the electric guitar usually amplified through a tube guitar amplifier, giving it an overdriven character.

1 Vote

Key Artists: Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Black Sabbath

Yeah well, and where’d I put in my vote for Apocalyptica...? They themselves called their musical offerings Cello Rock.
]

Cello rock
- is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the use of cellos (as well as other bowed string instruments such as the violin and viola) as primary instruments, alongside or in place of more traditional rock instruments such as electric guitars, electric bass guitar, and drum set.

1 Vote

Key Artists: Rasputina , Apocalyptica, Judgement Day, A Collective of Dirt

Computer Games Rock
Examples: NEw VU Blues - ND, My girl is a gamer chick - ND, Do you wanna date my avatar - The Guild, My favourite game - The cardigans, Points of authority - linkin park[/QUOTE]

1 Vote

Death Metal - A sub-genre of heavy metal typically employing moderate to fast tempos, heavily distorted guitars, deep growling vocals, blast beat drumming and complex song structures with multiple tempo shanges, often having violent or dark lyrics.

1 Vote

Key Artists: Arch Enemy, Necrophagist, SLAYER

where's the cold-wave hair rock???
it's the best!!

Coldwave Hair Rock, is the French variant of Dark Wave, Gothic rock and Post-punk music, primarily spread in France, South Belgium and Romandy.

1 vote

Post Below to vote for the other's....

Last edited:
Rock & Roll; I realize it's very very old school, but It's still good music IMO.

Been a bit of an education for me being an urban kinda music lover! Didn't realise there where sooo many sub genres to rock? I've casted my vote I like quite a lot of it.

All the best,

Jamhot

Been a bit of an education for me being an urban kinda music lover! Didn't realise there where sooo many sub genres to rock? I've casted my vote I like quite a lot of it.

All the best,

Jamhot

This is just the main few i decided to add, check out wiki's list of sub genres, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

That's no punk rock at all :(

Key Artists: Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Bad Religion, Rise Against

Better example?

Classic, Alternative and Grunge perhaps. My absolute favorite though isn't mentioned here: Progressive Rock! :)

Im the same really, like most rock music.

First post updated and vote counted :)

Last edited:
Another vote for Progressive Rock.

On another note, I think Metal deserves its own poll and isn't really a genre of Rock.

My fav would be japanese prog rock and prog metal (ruins, zeni geva), and then some less known genres you dont have such as sludge, noise rock, and I also like to listen to racist rock & rap & country.

Ahh yes, emo, escaped my mind, well noted.

First post Updated, does that count as a vote?

Yep, even if there are also better key artists than you listed :silly2:

Metal! Iron Maiden FTW!

and Pink floyd.. i much prefer a bit of floyd though actually...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to throw another curve ball. My favorite is Progressive Metal. Bands include Dream Theater, Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X.

Thats my vote.

While rock has always been one of my most favorite general genres I always found it hard to play favorites. I never really liked classifying stuff either. It`s too limiting but after all we tend to limit ourselves. After my early years of hearing rock/folk/blues/mowtown from adults and radio I grew up on classic rock and prog rock with some of the burgeoning metal thrown in. Then I opened my ears to jazz and fusion which brought a bit of rock and jazz together. Then I also love atmoshperic stuff of all types and anyone who can create great soundscapes with any old instrument they choose. In the early years of grunge which I also like I went on to record and work with many rock/metal/raprock bands some of which you have listed. So my tastes run a very wide range in and outside of the rock genre. I guess that`s the long way of saying I can`t choose! :laugh:

One thing is for sure I love indulging in and talking about music. And if you see me in game you`ll now notice that since I can my professional title will always be Metal Engineer! And now you know why.

Last edited:
plus you forgot

hardcore, like

Thats my vote.

Im very fond of ProgMetal aswell, but I still consider DT a ProgRock band. Though they move into both rock and metal in their many albums, so I assume both is correct :)

Stave, you can chalk down Jethro Tull under Progressive Rock? Personally I think they deserve a spot. Oh, and Rush :)

plus you forgot

hardcore, like

Personally I'd chalk down SOAD as a progmetal-band.

And seem like we definatly need a seperate metal poll :D

Im very fond of ProgMetal aswell, but I still consider DT a ProgRock band. Though they move into both rock and metal in their many albums, so I assume both is correct :)

Stave, you can chalk down Jethro Tull under Progressive Rock? Personally I think they deserve a spot.

I would agree with both. :)

And seem like we definatly need a seperate metal poll :D

Yeah well, and where’d I put in my vote for Apocalyptica...? They themselves called their musical offerings Cello Rock.

Besides, we/the world definitely definitely need an Apocalyptica cover version of Caramba’s »Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot« song... :laugh::laugh::laugh: (Try this video dub...)

Last edited:
I'm an appreciator of Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Metal (Especially Progressive Metal and Power Metal*), and Post Rock with its own particular charm. :)

* Yeah, where's this genre there**? :D You have the rush you find in Speed Metal, but with clean vocals capable of high registers, and a greater emphasis in melody. Epic and fantasy themes on their lyrics are also common. Examples of this are bands like Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody...

** Looks like another poll should be in order, hahaha. :D

Last edited:
Back