What Should PE do when your account gets robbed/hacked

What Should PE do when your account gets robbed/hacked

• Total voters

Speedy Logan

Hatchling
Ok so you have been playing PE for the best part of year , you have over 4k + in most skills, you put a lot of money in. Lets say $2000 and i dont mean PE $s, then someone hacks your account and sells everything you own!

What Should PE do about it?

If this post stays up long enough i will tell you what your beloved pe has said!

Well, I took it literally as in if my account got hacked. I know if I got hacked I would want not only an investigation but the roman army to try and restore it :D

Speedy Logan said:
Ok so you have been playing PE for the best part of year , you have over 4k + in most skills, you put a lot of money in. Lets say $2000 and i dont mean PE $s, then someone hacks your account and sells everything you own!

If this post stays up long enough i will tell you what your beloved pe has said!

If you think u have been robbed go to the local police. Most organized countries have a Inet department for Inet frauds.
full point.

IP can be faked. Someone could have gone to a Inet Cafe (may be the person who says was supposedly hacked) or used a dynamic IP... life is hard.

Best way, use firewall, router, non-administrator account to play... even better a EU only PC (no more I net access). Take weird passwords, different emails accounts.

Protect urself. Nobody else will do. MA the least.

And if anything fails, go to the police and denounce it. Flat. Don´t cry for it argentina.

I have to vote nothing, unless it was thier system that was hacked into.
Since most account that are going to get hack realy not not hacked, user a password spoofer or keylogger that the person down loaded on their computer. And if someone lets there acount info out why should anyone else be responible?

What should MA do when...

Say something other than "Gold Cards are available in the Trade Terminal"

They should atleast trace the items as they were transferred off...atleast the first trade anyway, and then follow that avatars dealings.

If the account in question had a gold card then i would expect some serious inquiry from MA and restoration of skills and items, if not full tt worth. I don't think that would happen, but if i pay for their blinkin card and go to the trouble to carry the delicate little reader around with me and put the code in every time it CTDs it's the least they can do to maintain good faith. Server logs are there for a reason, and no transactions in the game should be untraceable.

Speedy Logan said:

in most cases i would say that MA should at least lock some accounts or investigate, but how do you feel about it that you didnt buy a goldcard with depositing 2k$ ?? i got a goldcard when i was worth much less than that :rolleyes:

MA should cooperate with the police, once the police starts to investigate the matter. (As they say they will do)

Lise said:
If you think u have been robbed go to the local police. Most organized countries have a Inet department for Inet frauds.
full point.

This has been tried here in the US. It doesn't do anything. Burnsey went as far as talking to someone he knew in the FBI cyber crimes division. The guy pretty much said there is not much they can do.

Hmm, tricky.

Firstly, MA say contact your local police... why?

Servers are in Sweden, therefore it's the local Swedish police that should be contacted as that is where the "crime" was commited?

Not only that, but we don't "own" anything, MA own everything. So surely the police would just brush it away anyway, unless massive amounts of cash were involved, such as deed to TI or cND, and even then they might not act unless it was MA (the Owners of said deed) who requested an investigation.

What should MA actually do though?
In all honesty, and I can't believe I am about to say this, but they should do NOTHING.
MA own everything, an account gets hacked and some items etc. are moved to another account..... MA STILL own everything.

Until MA grant us the right to actually "own" items, they aren't going to do shit because legally the only crime that was committed was the hack of your account/computer, and unfortunately MA have their asses nicely covered by placing the security of your own computer in your own hands (which is the way it should be). Of course, proving that it was MA's own database that was hacked and not your PC is virtually impossible, and MA would never admit to being hacked as it would be committing financial suicide.

So basically, if you don't own a Gold Card, you're screwed if you get hacked.
If you do own a Gold Card, then the blame is 100% at MA's door, but convincing them that their security system has been compromised for both encrypted user account data and Gold Card number generation is a tall order, so we're still screwed. On the plus side, owning said Gold Card does make your account 100's of times safer against getting hacked, if not more!

That's just the way I see it at the moment.

Dem said:
Servers are in Sweden, therefore it's the local Swedish police that should be contacted as that is where the "crime" was commited?
If *your* computer gets "hacked" (incl. those cases that are not technically hacking, but worms, keyloggers etc) and your account info is stolen, then the crime was committed where *you* are.

Only case where the location of MA has any relevance, is if someone gains access to MAs user-account info on thier servers, and uses this to steal from us. (Btw, I'm sure that would be nearly impossible, and that passwords etc, are encryptet, and bla bla bla)

Well all i can say is i would expect MA /PE to at least investigate the matter and any avatars, that the account in question, traded with during the period of the hack!

Is that too much to ask, the answer according to PE/MA... YeS!
Maybe MA just need to be taken to the small claims court. Now theres a thought! :rolleyes:

Juts another thought , would it not be in MA/PE's own interest to investigate the matter.

The "its your account you must have had it compromised " may just not wash.

Lets face it who has accsess to account details besides the user?? MA/PE anyone???.

Im not saying the company is a scam before i get accused of liable, but what if there was just 1 badpenny amongst them???

Speedy Logan said:
Well all i can say is i would expect MA /PE to at least investigate the matter and any avatars, that the account in question, traded with during the period of the hack!

Is that too much to ask, the answer according to PE/MA... YeS!
Yes... That's too much to ask.
Otherwise, MA would have to lower our loot to 25%, in order to pay for all personel needed to investigate these matters.
Besides... What should they do, if they find out who you traded with after your accout was hacked? Take back items and money which might have been traded 5 times, since the hack accured? And what if they get it wrong, and take something back they shouldn't have?
What if it wasn't really a hack, but just someone *claiming* to have been hacked, after making a stupid mistake in a trade?

Naaah... Far too risky for MA to get involved in, since it's real money... And far too expensive to investigate too... And we would all have to pay for it.

There is in my opinion a very simple answer to this question. If you do not use a GC they should do exactly what they do now, NOTHING!! On the other hand though, if you own a GC they should replace all the items skills etc that you lost. Just my opinion.

To wheoever said your password is encrypted guess again. This may have changed but I am almost sure it has not, the client loader passes your user and pass to pe.exe in plain text. I am also told by a reliable source that at one point in time using a simple exploit it would have been very easy to collect usernames and passwords of every EU player (GC's would have been immune). For obvious reasons I am not going to discuss the details of what I was told but I have been assured this exploit has been removed. I do have significant technical background and the method he/she mentioned did indeed sound plausible.

Last edited:
Vedder said:
Yes... That's too much to ask.
Otherwise, MA would have to lower our loot to 25%, in order to pay for all personel needed to investigate these matters.
Besides... What should they do, if they find out who you traded with after your accout was hacked? Take back items and money which might have been traded 5 times, since the hack accured? And what if they get it wrong, and take something back they shouldn't have?
What if it wasn't really a hack, but just someone *claiming* to have been hacked, after making a stupid mistake in a trade?

Naaah... Far too risky for MA to get involved in, since it's real money... And far too expensive to investigate too... And we would all have to pay for it.

Ok, so opening a server log and pressing ctrl f is very hard work what can i say.

I do recall MA doing it for themselves not so long ago when there we Socs using klickers in the last Land Giveaway. Now the boots on the other foot its a no go .... strange. I just hope no one else has to go through what my brother has.

Back