What would YOU do? An EU ethical question...

What would you do? (Please read the post before answering...)

• Buy it for what he's asking: ~1%

Votes: 94 26.8%
  • Buy it for ~10%

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Buy it for ~80-90%

Votes: 37 10.5%
  • Buy it for the full market value to help him

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Don't buy it, but inform him of the 'real' value

Votes: 163 46.4%
  • Depends on how much I need PEDs on that day

Votes: 17 4.8%
  • Depends on my mood

Votes: 33 9.4%
  • Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him

Votes: 50 14.2%
  • I honestly don't know what I'd do...

Votes: 46 13.1%
  • Who cares about ethics

Votes: 18 5.1%

• Total voters
When newbies try and sell my underpriced items I usually warn them about it, or warn them not to press 'confirm' striaght away once all their items are in the trade window (doh!). Most times I'm ignored. :rolleyes: So it begs the question if you told the newbie the true value, would they believe you? Or would they just laugh and go and try and flog it to someone else?

With such a high end item I really am not 100% sure what I'd do (never been in that situation). Take the item off them, sell it and then share the profit with them? Inform them of the true value of the item, yet risk being ignored? Just buy it and be happy that I had got a high end item cheap? I dunno. If I took it I really would feel guilty since in a way it's ripping them off knowingly. Plus things could take an ugly turn when the person finds out the real value... and then what? All of a sudden you become well known for ripping someone off with a high end item.

IMO taking a gun/item like that isn't worth the possible implications. I'd rather have a good clean reputation / concience. So..... I guess I'd let them know of the value, maybe advise them to check the relavant sites / post on EF.

Honesty's the best policy. :wise:

PVP3 :D yep thats what i would do
I would get the animal oil back and it would be an ATH :D

I'd tell him the real price, what's the point saving 13k of ped if you feel a sh*tbag while playing.

Well...if HE offers the weapon at a super-cheap price Id take it.... I would honestly assume he is not a noob...because...well..noobs dont get their hands on weps / items like that :scratch2: He could be a player needing some real quick PED or something like that :ahh:

Honestly, I would buy it no questions asked. If he is offering it at that price who am I to question why?...

But seriously, he can't be a complete noob to obtain an ML35 ME, he has to have at least mentored someone and should have a reasonable idea about the price of such items. In this case, it is his own ignorance that is at fault.
I'm not gonna be the judge of what's right and wrong, but don't kid yourself and pretend the seller could have good reasons etc.: Anyone selling an uber item like that for less than 1% of it's price, obviously doesn't know what he's doing. :wise:
But we don't know how he got the item, or whether he's newbie, semi-newbie, stupid, ignorant, moronic, very young or whatever...

Well... Nice to see the many replies. :)

Last edited:
this can never be a scam as you are self responsible for looking up what your items are worth... If you are to lazy to push the sell index button you have yourself to blame and not any1 else.

(you cant be new enough to not know where that button is and loot an uber item, or chanses are astronomicaly small)

this can never be a scam as you are self responsible for looking up what your items are worth... If you are to lazy to push the sell index button you have yourself to blame and not any1 else.

(you cant be new enough to not know where that button is and loot an uber item, or chanses are astronomicaly small)
It's not about scamming...
It's about what you would do, in that situation.

Agree it's less likely to happen after MA made the auction stats available, but some items have never been traded on auction, or haven't been traded in a very long time, so the question is still relevant, imo.
(And some people are very young or stupid or make bad mistakes... It still happens)

Tell him what it's worth. Would not buy it myself!

Too many are being scammed in EU - and just because it's a newbie who doesn't know better, that doesn't mean you should scam the guy - and I would say, that buying the item well knowing it's worth lots lots more (we're not talking like 20 peds more ... ) is in my world, is a scam ...

Would be different if he said: Selling x-item 30K under market value ... ;) THEN I would probably buy ... because then he knows ...

Well, scam is a harsh word, but very dis-honest then :D )

ROTFLOL

Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him

Never new this was an option in game :)

Have you done that vedder ??? :)

My vote - ofc i'll help the poor bastard - remember it is only a game - and you play this game becaurse you have enough money to waste.

ps.
I dont find it a scam if any take advantage in a trade (but it must with a bad taste to do it) - Remember this is an adult game and you have to be aware of what you are doing.

I still remember after my first deposit where I got some sweat for 48ped instead of 48pec. That day I made a nother player happy and myself more wise.

choose the pvp trade since, if it was to ever happen to me i would deal with it there.. so far i havent seen any of this, only saw some episodes that ruined peoples game, like forgetting a 0 on the auction like with the tango sold for 1.8 k and not 18 k back in the days..

Be honest or face the karma in time it will hit u back...

but doing the pvp zone trade well thats a nice story even though u ruin someones game :D

JK ofc

I want to change my answer to this:

"Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him" :laugh:

But seriously, he can't be a complete noob to obtain an ML35 ME, he has to have at least mentored someone and should have a reasonable idea about the price of such items. In this case, it is his own ignorance that is at fault.

Therefore he offers it too you at below market price, its not like you asked him to sell it too you.. so if i was approached in this way.. i would take the deal.

- VV

seems like u want to blame the guy for ur greed Vince :D

theres no excuse ... wouldnt want to hang out with u thats 4 sure :D

choose the pvp trade since, if it was to ever happen to me i would deal with it there.. so far i havent seen any of this, only saw some episodes that ruined peoples game, like forgetting a 0 on the auction like with the tango sold for 1.8 k and not 18 k back in the days..

Be honest or face the karma in time it will hit u back...

but doing the pvp zone trade well thats a nice story even though u ruin someones game :D

JK ofc

... wb - havent seen you for a while :)

Personally, I would tell him it's worth a lot more than what he is selling for, and give him an offer between what he is asking and what he could actually get for it. Then I would sell it for the normal price. We would then both be better off, and I wouldn't feel too bad as he could have sold it for the lower price to someone else and wouldn't have had the chance to get some more money.

:DStrange I feel good sometimes, when thinking evil things..lol so I voted for the most evil scenario... but I wouldn`t do that for real..I think ehm, for now..:silly2: *evil count 29*

Robo

ROTFLOL

Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him

Never new this was an option in game :)

Have you done that vedder ??? :)
He he... Ofc not. :laugh:

Though it sounds funny, it'd be too evil. :evilking:

yeah lol I laughed at the pvp3 option thats awesome.

I chose option one tho tbh...

I'd rather have a clear conscience than money (this has cost me a lot of money in my life).

Also, if someone is selling something way below market price, trying to make a quick sale, it is possible that item has been scammed from someone else, and they are trying to convert it to cash to withdraw as quickly as possible.

I would help him this way:

I by the gun for the asked price, and then tell the real value of it. Im sure that he would learn, that alway do a pricecheck before you try to sell something.. If he react like an asshole i dont give him back, if not, i maybe give back. I think the 90% of the ppl (iin this thread too) would accept the trade on the asked price, doesnt matter what ppl say in public.

ps: im not a scammer, never was, just telling the truth

I voted not to buy but tell them the real price...

I had a similar thing happen in Twin Peaks a few weeks ago.

An avatar appeared and shouted that they were selling a ML-35 +4k and Full Jag (F) +6k

They were jumped on by the infamous reselling crowd. (yes, you know who I am talking about...)

I managed to get a chat with the seller quickly and explained that the current prices for those items was about ML-35 +15k and Full Jag (F) was last sold at +15k.:wise::saint:

He thanked me profusely and said that he was glad of the info as he was about to make a trade and I saved him loads of peds.

I have to admit though, if I had had the +10k peds on my card I can't help wondering whether I would have taken advantage of the sale...:dunno:

Probably not. But :vampire: ;)

kill him in pvp after paying with animal oils & then going to revive to tell him how much it's really worth ? :p

loot the jew

really a tough one there !!!

- Nice Thread Vedder, but i sadly think a majority of ppl. would try to get it for a lot less than true value... (especially if MA "screwed them a lot lately) :mad:

.... Im thinking of compared to IRL ..... you wanna buy a car (lets say a Mercedes) :yay:

The salesman (or a private person) wants XXX money for it.... but u might know its in much better condition (or rare) so with your knowledge u take it for the price he asks.... !!!

Is that unethical / scamming as well ? is a very thin line i guess.

Im sure the ingame MARKET VALUE...has made it somewhat harder for scammers, but still .. its up to the individual person/player to gain knowledge of what he/she is doing. (thats why we love this forum) :D

But basically it would be nice if all ppl. were 112% honest.

yeah. but im sure most people would rip off a car salesman....

:scratch2:

Has anyone figured out a way to scam a Scammer?

Like, run a counter-scam to the Armor scam for instance...

I apply it to the freekin' guy without hesitation.

:ninja:
:nutkick:

Yeah, guy said he would give compensation for my ghost, he offere a pixie set saying he had coloured his ghost to look like pixie for PVP.

Trade bugged out and i couldnt offer items, so he ended up trading me the pixie first, needless to say i dropped in on the ground around the TP, since we were in PA..

I think the 90% of the ppl (iin this thread too) would accept the trade on the asked price, doesnt matter what ppl say in public.
The votes are anonymous, and it seems that slightly more than 50% would pay 'real' value or just inform him if the value. And some are not decided.

Ofc, hypothetical questions are not always how we would react in the real situation... But interesting any way, imo :)

So here I was in Echidna, facing a complete newb who looted ul bp for P5a from a few clicks on mann mph, with no idea on the value, no idea how to check the market value of the bp..

Then I remembered this thread, when I originally read it I thought "naaah, I'll never be in this position".

My pedcard would always enjoy an extra buck, but sleeping with clean face is priceless.

/bragging mode off

As its a hypothetical question any answer can only be regarded as hypothetical. Experience shows only very very few people are able to predict their reactions 100% to hypothetical situations. Especially in extreme scenarios.

Personally I tend to say, I would tell him, though I would expect some reward for this "valuable" information. I would be disappointed if nothing but a "Oh thanks." would be the benefit of it. This is the most honest answer I can think upon at this very moment.

No idea, how my reaction would be if the situation would be like if I had just come for another loss of a deposit, being upset about the 20 agi newbie next to me getting the Atrox Old Alpha 10k Hof.

One could also say, that someone participating in a cash game without proper investigation of do's and don'ts doesn't deserve it better, right?

And none of these could be valid when the situation really happens...

edit: lol, just noticed Vedder bumping it up, rofl. No idea if I already answerd, omg VEDDER! :)

Back